Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask if this is naff?

(40 Posts)
ElectrifiedTrack Sat 03-Nov-12 14:13:25

LIGHTHEARTED

Just about to go out sofa shopping, planning to get two matching, but DH pipes up that this is naff...I had no idea...is it? DH is terribly posh and I grew up in usual working class setting so I bow down to his knowledge of these things, obviously hmm

So tell me, dear mnetters, is this true? And while you are at it you better warn me about other things that are unexpectedly naff that I might not have been aware of, given my humble upbringing. I thank you.

Tee2072 Sat 03-Nov-12 14:16:20

OMG how date you!

I'm speaking to you again.

grin

Tee2072 Sat 03-Nov-12 14:16:44

AHHHH PROOF READ TEE!!!!

How dare you!

ChickenFillet Sat 03-Nov-12 14:17:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lovebunny Sat 03-Nov-12 14:18:33

will matching ones or different ones look better in your home?

Fakebook Sat 03-Nov-12 14:18:47

You can't change your taste even if you rank highly up the classes. Buy what you like!

SoleSource Sat 03-Nov-12 14:20:05

Oh! I never had ywo sofa's just one long un. Mmm get a multi coloured one smile

BandersnatchCummerbund Sat 03-Nov-12 14:20:24

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 03-Nov-12 14:20:26

You tell him that saying the word naff has been naff for about twenty years.

However eclectic sofas are posher.

WaitingForMe Sat 03-Nov-12 14:22:39

I think it comes from the upper classes rarely buying new but instead inheriting things whereas the new middle classes had to buy new.

Personally I'm not a fan of matching things and feel my money goes further buying old stuff (eg. 1940s oak cabinet that the TV sits on was £40). So when it came to buying new sofas I bought different ones. But my house is Victorian and that works. My mum has a very contemporary apartment and her two matching sofas look perfect in that space.

TiggyD Sat 03-Nov-12 14:25:23

I can't remember his name but a toff politician once put somebody (Alan Clarke?) down by saying he was the sort of man who buys his own furniture.

Zebra print will never date BTW.

LunaticFringe Sat 03-Nov-12 14:26:00

impty Sat 03-Nov-12 14:26:01

I thought one inherited furniture?

Not me though! Dfs all the way grin

HoratiaWinwood Sat 03-Nov-12 14:28:09

If one inherits furniture then it is unlikely to match.

Perhaps it is the particular set he thinks is naff? Is it leather in a colour unknown to cows?

ChippingInLovesAutumn Sat 03-Nov-12 14:29:00

If you live in a huge house, with big rooms & inherited furniture then mismatched is fine, better than fine.

Bog standard house, bog standard rooms - matching is easier on the eye.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Sat 03-Nov-12 14:29:24

2 new mismatched sofas in an average room just look silly & try hard.

BandersnatchCummerbund Sat 03-Nov-12 14:31:04

ElectrifiedTrack Sat 03-Nov-12 14:33:44

"eclectic sofas are posher" thanks...this will be my shopping mantra today!

So come one, what else is naff? Those prints that come in three parts with a space between them? Matching scatter cushions?? Feature walls? Fuck that I am having a feature wall

Sugarice Sat 03-Nov-12 14:40:25

I have matching sofas and one of those prints that come in three parts but I don't have a feature wall wink so I am still naff I suppose! grin

perplexedpirate Sat 03-Nov-12 14:43:08

If you must buy new, I suppose matching is better.
Personally I wouldn't buy new, but that's just personal taste.

perplexedpirate Sat 03-Nov-12 14:44:53

WRT other naff things, if your house has a number PLEASE don't give it a name. Height of naff.

WiseKneeHair Sat 03-Nov-12 14:49:01

Didn't realise, but we are obviously posh. [ grin]
We have mismatching sofas in the living room because we can't afford to replace the old one and the matching chairs disintegrated

LRDtheFeministDragon Sat 03-Nov-12 14:49:56

I think it's posher to know what 'eclectic' means. wink

Why don't you 'eclect' two that are exactly the same, then will he be happy?

Or I believe it is acceptable to buy one, then wait several years before painstakingly sourcing a matching one from a reputable antiques dealer.

If unmatching second-hand ones are poncey, my place must be the height of ponce: one fold-able two-seater with cushions made of blocks of solid foam (no cover) draped in a white sheet - this we inherited from the lettings agency in the Year of Our Lord 2009. We also sourced a delightful cream/grey number from the previous tenants of our last place, en route to the skip, which is now done up with chic boxes of books underneath it to stop it collapsing, and which present a nice display of our old Harry Potters literary pretensions.

I can sell them both to your DH dead cheap, if he gets in touch?

FlobbadobbaBOO Sat 03-Nov-12 14:51:26

We have a feature wall in every room and matching sofas. I am clearly the naffest of all! grin

Chandon Sat 03-Nov-12 14:51:29

I would never buy a set myself, but not sure we are posh, so what does that mean....

It is a bit twee somehow?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now