Talk

Advanced search

Parent and child spaces - AIBU?

(51 Posts)
shinyblackgrape Sat 03-Nov-12 14:03:40

Right. I know the use of these spaces are contentious. However, I just want to check if AIBU or not

Currently 37 weeks pregnant and knackered. Just off to the hell that is the Trafford Centre on a Saturday. I'm pretty fit but starting to find walking for miles really tiring. I know there will probably only be a space in the overflow car park which is genuinely about half a mile away from the shops. Then I need to walk round and walk back etc.

DH thinks, under the circumstances, I could park in a parent and child space. I thought they were only for people whose babies were actually born so I cant use them?

Who's right? Don't want to piss people off!

ManifestingMingeHooHoosAgain Sat 03-Nov-12 14:05:22

I did occasionally when massively pregnant, you do have a baby with you, and they have more space to open your car door fully and squeeze a huge bump out.

<dons hard-hat>

Vix07 Sat 03-Nov-12 14:05:48

Do it. Anyone who gets pissed off by that is a total meanie!

Sparklingbrook Sat 03-Nov-12 14:05:55

Do you really need to go to a huge shopping centre on a Saturday afternoon? What is so urgent?

TurkeyDino Sat 03-Nov-12 14:05:56

Honestly, I wouldn't. But I think just about everyone else would. They aren't legally enforceable anyway.

flossy101 Sat 03-Nov-12 14:07:18

You'll be lucky to find a parent and child space at the Trafford centre. They have about 4 between thousands of shoppers.

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 03-Nov-12 14:08:09

Ours are for both. Thank goodness because I needed it a lot more when I was pregnant than now. YANBU.

shinyblackgrape Sat 03-Nov-12 14:08:27

Yup - we do need to go. Last day to pick some stuff up

Going to the shops after (just 2) as makes me feel less tired to do it in one go with DH than go back another day!

blobandsnail Sat 03-Nov-12 14:08:37

I can't believe anyone would say don't use it. I wouldn't even think twice if i saw you using one of the disabled bays if there's no P & C spaces. Though if you're not going alone could DH not drop you near entrance go and park and meet you somewhere?

missmapp Sat 03-Nov-12 14:08:40

I agree with flossy, there are never any p and child spaces on a sat afternoon!!

twooter Sat 03-Nov-12 14:09:14

I don't think you should. If walking from the car park is too tiring, then going around a shopping centre would be too tiring. Keep them free for toddlers and babies in the big stage 0 car seats.

shinyblackgrape Sat 03-Nov-12 14:09:16

flossy - I keep seeing them (empty) when I go!

Sparklingbrook Sat 03-Nov-12 14:09:45

But can't your DH go on his own? Don't mean to be difficult but I wouldn't go near the place on a Saturday afternoon and I'm not pregnant.

RyleDup Sat 03-Nov-12 14:10:21

Just use it if there is one. I wouldn't think twice about it.

Sparklingbrook Sat 03-Nov-12 14:11:46

At the big Walmart in Bristol they used to have spaces with Storks on for pregnant women. smile

Fenton Sat 03-Nov-12 14:12:42

I would - you do after all have a baby on board.

I did this once when I was heavily pregnant with DS2 (and didn't have DS1 with me as my pass) - I was however very uncomfortably HUGE, had SPD and was overdue, and was sporting my best "don't fuck with ME" face so I got away with it.

shinyblackgrape Sat 03-Nov-12 14:12:55

twooter - it's the combo of both. I can walk but walking long distances is very tiring. Therefore, DH is trying to mitigate this to let me get to the two shops we need to get to without having to walk from the overflow carpark and back

Get a bit cross that I'm just meant to stay in the house and not go out when there is a solution. My DSis (who is a square - with a baby grin) is of the view that she needed a space close to the shops much more at 37 weeks pregnant than now

shinyblackgrape Sat 03-Nov-12 14:14:43

sparkling - yes he could. But I just want to get some makeup when he goes to pick up the baby stuff. I could give him a note of the foundation etc but wanted to chose myself in case anything new and shiny there'sulks

Sparklingbrook Sat 03-Nov-12 14:15:17

Well could your DH drop you off by the door, then go and park. then bring the car round at the end. Then you don't need to worry about the P&C spaces at all.

GetOrfAKAMrsUsainBolt Sat 03-Nov-12 14:17:14

God yes, just do it. Like someone said they aren't legally enforceable anyway, and you do have a genuine need for a larger and closer space.

mamalovesmojitos Sat 03-Nov-12 14:18:29

YANBU

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 03-Nov-12 14:18:49

I was told I couldn't use the P&C spaces at Tesco when I was pg (this was back in 1999 though).
So I parked in a regular space , someone parked really close to me (OK they weren't to know I was huuuuuuge ). We had to get the Customer Services to tannoy to get the driver out.
DH doesn't drive and I couldn't get in from the passenger side and climb over.

Sometimes it is just as difficult to manoeuvre a bump as a baby+ seat.

shinyblackgrape Sat 03-Nov-12 14:19:16

getorf - DH has just said there in no argument that I need a larger space! My coat is filthy from pushing past other people's cars. God help their wing mirrors!

sparkling - yes. That is an option.

saintlyjimjams Sat 03-Nov-12 14:19:41

Yes to P&T, but fgs don't use a disabled space as someone upthread suggested!

shinyblackgrape Sat 03-Nov-12 14:20:43

70 - this keeps happening to me at the supermarket. Even when I park away from other cars a someone always comes and parks right next to me with 1 foot between the cars.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now