Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be miffed that my DP has stolen my kindle in order to cheat at bedtime

(9 Posts)
lucyellenmum Sat 03-Nov-12 09:34:26

So, after what felt like a lifetime wanting a kindle, this birthday i finally got one grin And i LOVE my kindle, to the point of obsession. I mean, who wouldn't, right??

One of the things i actually love about my kindle is that I can download books for DD, who is 7 and struggles with her reading. We read to DD alot, and all the childrens classics are free. Her teacher is encoraging of this as she says it will help her to love stories and make her WANT to read. Then of course as she gets more confident......

So, I have downloaded a few books for DD, a couple of classics and a mordern tale of blue ninja cats in the far east somewhere, great book it is.

All good so far!

BUT I like to read the kindle to DD, i like it to be our time together. DP puts DD to bed most nights (she isn't easy!) as i work in the evenings and has discovered the kindle as DD wanted the blue cat story. Fair enough, even though i like to read in the evening and im in the middle of a really good book just now. BUT I come home from work last night, DD already in bed and it sounds like Professor Hawkins is in her bedroom. Yep - DD is being "read" to by the automated story teller (no intonation, mechanical voice - dull, sorry proff!!) with a background of gentle snoring as DP crafty bastard is snoozing on the bed hmm

So...i finally get to retreive my kindle after DD has fallen asleep and yep, you've guessed it, the FUCKING BATTERY HAS RUN OUT angryangry

Its not like she doesn't have shelf after shelf of books, its not like DP is illiterate (although to be fair he does struggle and i suspect he is dyslexic but its actually good for him to to actually read it) and can't read the kindle to her and it doesn't use any battery then other than turning the page.

AIBU to hide my kindle tonight????

PS - not totally mean mummy, am going to get her a kindle fire for xmas.

dubbada Sat 03-Nov-12 09:37:26

hide it and give your husband war and peace to read

lucyellenmum Sat 03-Nov-12 09:51:00

grin that'l learn him

TheLightPassenger Sat 03-Nov-12 10:24:27

grin maybe let the poor fella play some decent audiobooks to her instead?

shriekingnora Sat 03-Nov-12 10:29:19

Is it Varjak Paw?

lucyellenmum Sun 04-Nov-12 22:06:40

yes it is smile

whois Sun 04-Nov-12 23:34:10

YABU to not have stacks of real audio books read by proper people :-)

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 05-Nov-12 02:29:32

Studies have shown that reading to/with children is a very different thing to audio books or Kindle boring Prof. Children retain far less. Also, if DH ran down the battery on my eReader, his arse would be grass.

shriekingnora Mon 05-Nov-12 09:47:53

Varjak Paw is brilliant. And he needs to read it to her complete with voices.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now