Talk

Advanced search

to be confused why he's not been prosecuted

(6 Posts)
moogstera1 Sat 03-Nov-12 09:30:26

Mr. mc Shane , labour MP.
from what i can gather, basically submitted invoices for a company that didn't exist, signed by himself under a made up name and made at least £9,000 out of the scam.
Apparently the police looked into it in July but decided to drop it.
AIBU to think in any other job he would have been sacked on the spot AND preosecuted.
He said he didn't do it for personal gain???
genuinely confused about the whole expenses / MP thing. Are they really not subject to the same rules, or would a "normal" person also be let off?

EdithWeston Sat 03-Nov-12 09:39:30

I think I heard on the news that it was covered by Parliamentary privilege.

If so, that really, really stinks.

Parliamentary privilege is meant to cover their actions in the House as our representatives. It should not cover the underpinning admin. And it definitely should not cover grubby, deceitful expenses scams.

In any other part of public service, it would be instant sacking and prosecution. MPs exist only to serve their constituents. Now they're not employees, so perhaps the regime should be - for any offence - prosecution (instant suspension from House after charges laid) and immediate by-election on conviction.

sooperdooper Sat 03-Nov-12 09:40:06

I heard this on the news earlier and thought the exact same, it fraud and he should be prosecuted, i have no idea why this isn't happening

greensnail Sat 03-Nov-12 09:55:43

I heard on the news that the police weren't able to see all the evidence due to parliamentary privilege but now it has all been published they should be able to re open the case.

sawseesaw Sat 03-Nov-12 11:46:23

He hasn't even been sacked! Just a slap on the wrist and a year's break. It is truly disgusting. Anyone in any other public job would probably be going to prison.

laughtergoodmedicine Sat 03-Nov-12 12:00:26

He could still be prosecuted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now