Talk

Advanced search

to warn you about this scam?

(41 Posts)
Lovecat Sat 03-Nov-12 08:25:58

Sorry, not really an AIBU but I am fuming and don't want anyone else to get caught out like I was.

Long story short, I was called by someone claiming to be from Orange offering me an upgrade on my phone, which has just come out of contract. They had all my customer information and asked for letters from my password etc., very professional. They offered me a new phone and talked through the various plans available. They then said they were actually the Carphone Warehouse but were authorised dealers for Orange.

I was online at the time and checked out the deal, it was the one that the the Carphone Warehouse were offering and as it was impossible to a) get through to Orange on the phone about an upgrade b) use their site to do it online as it kept crashing, I thought 'well, at least I've heard of the Carphone Warehouse' and agreed to the deal.

I was told that my phone would be with me in 2-3 working days and if there were any problems to call 0844 89393 for their customer services. Well, 3 days came and went, I called the number and was on hold for nearly an hour being told I was 'number 2 in the queue'. Gave up. Tried again the next day (I know, I know) and ended up on hold for half an hour again at 'no 2 in the queue' before I gave up.

I then googled and found this: http://www.whophonedme.co.uk/08448933933 and it turns out it's a massive scam and I'm going to get a huge phone bill (£1 a minute - aaargh!).

I'm so furious with myself for being taken in and I'm going to report them to the police, the Carphone Warehouse and anyone else I can think of, but just wanted to warn others - I thought I was fairly savvy about stuff like this but these people are extremely professional, highly plausible and worse, know ALL your personal information.

Don't be taken in like I was!

Lovecat Sat 03-Nov-12 08:26:19

And that wasn't really a long story short, either blush

Lovecat Sat 03-Nov-12 08:27:38

Oh, ffs! phone no. 0844 8933933 and link: www.whophonedme.co.uk/08448933933

GrimAndHumourless Sat 03-Nov-12 08:31:02

oh NO

what bastards angry

aufaniae Sat 03-Nov-12 08:34:01

That's really worrying, I wonder how they got hold of your information? I would be asking Orange who they sell your info to.

Thanks of the info smile

aufaniae Sat 03-Nov-12 08:34:12

*for!

Fakebook Sat 03-Nov-12 08:34:41

Oh! Did they phone your landline? What arseholes. Let trading standards know too. I suppose you didn't get your phone either?

Lovecat Sat 03-Nov-12 08:41:33

Phoned the mobile and no, no sign of the phone.

Orange haven't registered any change in my circs so no plan change either (which is a relief because at least I can now go into their shop and get a new phone too).

Thanks for the trading standards tip. Would Ofcom deal with this sort of thing as well, d'you think?

MarshaBrady Sat 03-Nov-12 08:42:13

Argh how annoying. But thanks for posting.

Wonder if these things get shut down.

girlsyearapart Sat 03-Nov-12 08:51:44

Very annoying - these scams are getting more & more professional

I had one on e mail this morning claiming to be from PayPal saying my account had been restricted and to log in to find out why.

Clicked on it which led me to a 'PayPal' site which wanted me to fill in all my credit card details including card security number..

I logged out then went into my PayPal account which is perfectly fine.

So many people get caught out

Iceflower Sat 03-Nov-12 08:53:54

Thank you for sharing, I hadn't heard about this particular scam. These crooks keep coming up with more and more sophisticated scams and it's hard to keep up sadangry

angry for you

maddening Sat 03-Nov-12 08:54:57

There was also one where you get a "we tried to deliver your parcel but you were out" and when you phone the number it charges you £5 connection and a large amount per minute and is a scam.

Walkacrossthesand Sat 03-Nov-12 08:55:57

Horrible horrible. Trading standards will want to know , I think you can log a report online & they try to shut down these online/phone scam operators.

Fakebook Sat 03-Nov-12 08:56:21

I had a phone call similar to this on my mobile a few weeks ago claiming they were from Three and if I wanted a free phone. When I told them no, the woman replied in shock "you don't want a free phone?!" I said no again and turn the phone off. Maybe that was a scam too.

Sparklingbrook Sat 03-Nov-12 08:57:58

sad Lovecat. How much have the calls cost you?

Walkacrossthesand Sat 03-Nov-12 09:00:33

PS a tip to avoid online scams - if you get an email claiming to be from a bona fidelity organisation, always go to that organisation's website directly to check it out (because, for example, Paypal do sometimes put restrictions on accounts...), rather than clicking a link. The 'you have a parcel' texts are so '?' because they claim to be from royal mail & how would they have my mobile number?!

Walkacrossthesand Sat 03-Nov-12 09:01:59

fidelity fide

TodaysAGoodDay Sat 03-Nov-12 09:02:37

That's scary, what horrible people. They don't even have to have your details, they just need to ask 'what's the first and third letter of your password?' and confirm whatever you say. Ditto for everything else. I'm sorry you were taken in with their shit, and thanks for warning us.

inde Sat 03-Nov-12 09:19:16

Have you contacted your phone company to see how much you will be charged Lovecat? I would have thought that if you phoned an 0844 number then it would not be possible to charge more than the going rate for an 0844 number which should be less than 10p per minute I think. I could be wrong though. Best to talk to your phone provider.

EdsRedeemingQualities Sat 03-Nov-12 09:19:34

girlsyearapart if you entered your paypal password, change it immediately won't you.

it's a phishing scam so they are just after passwords and info about your account etc.

You have probably thought of this already x

EdsRedeemingQualities Sat 03-Nov-12 09:20:18

OP that is a good point about the police. If you get a crime number, you can possible present this to your phone company and not have to pay.

girlsyearapart Sat 03-Nov-12 09:36:16

Shit no I hadn't as I realised after I clicked on the link. (sleep deprivation..) will do it now

Tee2072 Sat 03-Nov-12 09:37:24

You realise they probably didn't actually have your personal password, right? The rest of your information may have come from the internet.

But I would bet they said 'I need the first, fourth and fifth character of your password', you gave to them, they agreed you were right.

In the future, never confirm your information with someone who calls you. Tell them you'll call them in a bit when you've looked up their number.

Lovecat Sat 03-Nov-12 10:38:41

That I do realise, Tee smile

Lesson learnt, but hopefully my stupidity will spare anyone else reading this.

Tee2072 Sat 03-Nov-12 10:49:23

Okay, good. Someone said up thread that they wondered how they got your personal details.

Live and learn. And report it to everyone you can find who will listen. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now