Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To cant stop laughing and have been doing so all night?

(25 Posts)
altinkum Sat 03-Nov-12 06:53:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MammaTJ Sat 03-Nov-12 07:22:01

I think you will have to continue to update this thread as she buys more and more. grin

Sirzy Sat 03-Nov-12 07:26:09

Oh dear!

I hope your aunt Has a good sense of humour!

EdsRedeemingQualities Sat 03-Nov-12 07:28:10

God. That's just really sad, I'm sorry, I cannot imagine how I'd feel in your shoes but from where I am sitting, it makes me want to cry.

EdsRedeemingQualities Sat 03-Nov-12 07:29:12

I mean why has she done this?

Is she serious, does she really not have any idea why these gifts are inappropriate?

Rindercella Sat 03-Nov-12 07:33:14

I'm with Eds. this seems so sad to me.

altinkum Sat 03-Nov-12 07:39:17

ladyintheradiator Sat 03-Nov-12 07:48:49

The joke is lost on me too, this sounds very sad.

EdsRedeemingQualities Sat 03-Nov-12 07:49:41

I wonder if you've considered the medical possibilities, sorry to sound so serious but she might have a sort of early onset dementia, or something else going on?

EdsRedeemingQualities Sat 03-Nov-12 07:50:55

I hope it isn't wrong of me to say that. I'd just be really worried iyswim x

EuphemiaTwatslapper Sat 03-Nov-12 07:52:14

Oh FFS. I think the OP knows her own damn mother well enough to decide whether this is funny or sad.

The po-facedness on these threads is seriously irritating sometimes hmm.

altinkum Sat 03-Nov-12 07:56:11

EdsRedeemingQualities Sat 03-Nov-12 07:57:45

Ok.

Well you did ask if you were being unreasonable and tbh, I cannot understand your approach but then, it's none of our business.

<backs out>

ArthurShappey Sat 03-Nov-12 07:58:47

Maybe the aunt and your DH could do swappsies?

Sirzy Sat 03-Nov-12 07:59:04

Some people are rubbish at buying presents, others just buy inappropriate ones. If someone has always given normal gifts then they start going odd I would worry but if it was normal for them I would laugh!

sparkle12mar08 Sat 03-Nov-12 08:03:38

But surely no-one without mental health issues buys a 13 adolescent a toddler sized 16 inch wheel bike?! No one! And as for buying an amputee and all in one suit - words fail me. This is NOT a case of no common sense - this is a case of severe problems, and it's far from funny.

altinkum Sat 03-Nov-12 08:03:58

altinkum Sat 03-Nov-12 08:05:01

BiteTheTopsOffIcedGems Sat 03-Nov-12 08:05:26

My MIL (who is lovely) is like this. One year she gave us Christmas presents in June so she didn't forget to give them to people.
One of the mums at school says this year she will be writing her Christmas cards for the NEXT year and giving them out with THIS years Christmas cards so it is one less thing to do next year. She will be putting a family newsletter in with both cards, she thinks that's fine as she thinks she know everything that will happen next years as its all planned.
One Christmas my nan bought me a box of food goodies with tinned ham and various other meats in. I have been vegetarian for 16 years. She said I could 'pick the biggest lumps of meat out and just eat the rest'
People are strange.

sparkle12mar08 Sat 03-Nov-12 08:06:37

Sorry, I misread the age of the child - so at 3 a 16 inch bike is a sound investment - he'll be riding it in a year or less, and you can buy spare stabilsers if it doesn't have them.

But on balance I still think it's not funny, and why on earth are you encouraging her to waste her money in such a way - an adult sized batman outfit?!

I can't help but wonder if this is genuine despite altinkum's long standing - because normal people don't behave this way, surely?

OpheliaPayneAgain Sat 03-Nov-12 08:11:16

My grandmother used to do this - it wasn't due to 'battiness' but down to the fact she was tighter than a ducks arse in water and if it was cheap/a passed on gift thats what we got for christmas.

I seem to tremember my mother getting a clearly second hand nightie with milk stains, my aunt a packet of open and worn tights, repacked, and my cousin a set of notebooks with one missing from the packet. Those are some of the more memorable ones.

altinkum Sat 03-Nov-12 08:14:55

Badgersnatch Sat 03-Nov-12 09:32:27

What I want to know is what did you do with the Batman costume? I bet you get DH to wear it in the bedroom don't you? wink

MurderOfGoths Sat 03-Nov-12 10:15:58

She sounds like my nan!

When I was a kid she bought me a shelf and supports, because I "like making things". She was notorious for giving the weirdest/most useless presents. There was nothing wrong with her, she was just odd.

MIL is a little like this, couple of years ago when I was a size 18 with D cup boobs she bought me a glittery cardigan for age 11-12!

altinkum Sat 03-Nov-12 18:01:55

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now