Talk

Advanced search

To get really annoyed when people don't thank me

(20 Posts)
MinesaBottle Fri 02-Nov-12 23:30:53

For holding a door open for them?

Three times it's happened today! If I'm feeling assertive I will yell 'You're welcome!' after them but really, how fucking rude?!

nancy75 Fri 02-Nov-12 23:33:19

Yanbu, may I add I feel the same way when I stop the car to let someone pass and they can't even be bothered to rise their hand in thanks. Bastards!

WorraLiberty Fri 02-Nov-12 23:34:47

YANBU it's annoying.

MinesaBottle Fri 02-Nov-12 23:35:56

I may have had wine and be dwelling on this btw grin

Uppermid Fri 02-Nov-12 23:36:59

Yanbu

CrunchyCowPat Fri 02-Nov-12 23:37:00

YANBU. This really irritates me too, likewise when I stop to let a car out of a turning.
Manners cost nothing.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 02-Nov-12 23:38:17

YANBU.

I'm trying to get our dc to hold doors open for others and they get annoyed if they don't get thanked!

CrunchyCowPat Fri 02-Nov-12 23:38:32

Ah cross post with nancy. They are indeed rude bastards.

apostropheuse Fri 02-Nov-12 23:40:47

YANBU. They're downright rude!

MinesaBottle Fri 02-Nov-12 23:43:54

Iwishiwasmoreorganised That's great, I hope you get them to force people to acknowledge it! Nothing shames like an adorable child chirruping 'you're welcome'!

ClippedPhoenix Fri 02-Nov-12 23:54:41

I don't tend to let people wind me up now especially in cars. I do it because it's the right thing to do. I never look for a thank you when I let people out. Far less stressful.

If people don't have manners it's not my fault and so what.

I always say thank you for cars stopping on a zebra crossing for me too but steam would come out of my ears if I wanted people to do the same these days.

Lueji Sat 03-Nov-12 00:55:04

I don't expect thanks at zebra crossings. It's the pedestrian's right to cross.

But no thanks for holding a door really annoys me. Particularly when I am myself waiting to go across. Or when people go behind he and expect me to continue holding the door.
My own mother is terrible for that.

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Sat 03-Nov-12 00:56:49

My 10yo yells "Didn't your mum teach you manners?!"

ClippedPhoenix Sat 03-Nov-12 00:59:48

Its still a common courtesy in my book whether its a pedestrian crossing or not. I must be uber nice then grin

ImperialFireworksInMyKnickers Sat 03-Nov-12 01:07:58

Right I've been observing this for some time now as I drive about my business though junctions around the town. The best, most courteous drivers are.... wait for it... the white van men. I know, I was gob-smacked too, but I have genuinely been keeping a note <sad> . The exception is the local DHL driver. (Bastard). All the other local delivery drivers are great.

Least courteous drivers... blondes in 4x4s

Closely followed by dear little old ladies utterly oblivious in Citroen Saxos or near equivalent.

ClippedPhoenix Sat 03-Nov-12 01:11:16

Actuall Knickers I have found this too. White van men always let me out for some reason maybe because im blonde and sexy grin

Wallison Sat 03-Nov-12 01:19:02

White van men are wankers if you're on a bike though. And speaking about being on a bike, why do so many car drivers think they don't need to indicate if a bike is the only traffic on the road? Or indeed (in tune with the OP's question) not thank you when you have pulled in to let them past even though it's more of a hassle for you because you have to stop and then get your legs working again as opposed to just putting your foot on a damn pedal?

ImperialFireworksInMyKnickers Sat 03-Nov-12 01:37:35

Phoenix I'm neither blonde (anymore) and I really don't think I'm sexy, mostly due to being grossly overweight a bit lardy and 40-something I don't want to talk about. But most of the White Vans (apart from DHL as mentioned above) let me, and probably everyone else too, out whenever we start indicating.

Wallison, I suspect most of the car drivers have long forgotten, if they even knew, about the extra energy it takes to get steerage way back on a cycle from stationary. I need to be reminded, by comments like yours, and I was a cycle goddess from 14 until I passed my driving test aged 29.

Probably loads of x-posts as DP came in to say good night and distracted me from the vital importance of MN. Bless....

aldiwhore Sat 03-Nov-12 01:57:26

YANBU. But to quote Granny and therefore diminish my own stress and angst at this very thing... "If you wait to be thanked you've missed the point".

This distracts me enough from the rage while I try and work out exactly why that's a good thing?

You shouldn't 'wait' to be thanked, it should simply HAPPEN.

winnietheplop Sat 03-Nov-12 02:29:13

aldi- i'll remember that grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now