Talk

Advanced search

To find this website a bit judgy and odd?

(23 Posts)
EduCated Fri 02-Nov-12 23:09:13

Was researching circus skills companies as you do and came across this one

When you scroll down, you can see he puts a comment about all the shows he's done. Most are fairly innocuous, but then there's the odd one like these...

'Thursday 11th October - Shenstone Lodge Special School, Nr Lichfield

An EBD primary school. Teachers of course have the wrong approach. These kids need staff passing them on skills rather than exclusively worrying about behaviour. A wonderful day with the kids thorougly enjoying learning a variety of circus skills.'

'Sunday 30th September - Birthday Party, Selly Oak

A bit of magic & balloon modelling for a local ten year old boy & his mates. He was more interested in playing with his train set in the garden.'

There's a few slightly odd comments about some of the 'autistic kids' being better than their siblings hmm

AIBU to think that making judgy comments about your clients on your website is a bit of an odd way to try and drum up business? confused I'd be a bit pissed off if I was the parent of the birthday boy in the second example.

singaporefling Fri 02-Nov-12 23:23:25

I agree... As well as it being badly written in parts. To criticize your clients/express personal slightly negative opinions doesn't seem to be the best approach to winning business!

EduCated Fri 02-Nov-12 23:25:51

Exactly. I'm not actually looking to book anyone at the moment, but it would definitely put me off confused

YuffieKisaragi Fri 02-Nov-12 23:26:25

Erm yeah that's weird. I found an fb page for a local second hand furniture store once, totally open to public, full of bigoted (and worse, BADLY SPELLED) rants about customers and potential customers. I'm shocked he's still in business!

EduCated Fri 02-Nov-12 23:59:14

Yeah, he seems keen to point out where it was a group of 'Asian lads' or an 'Indian birthday party'...

I just don't get why you'd do it, I mean, who other than me would actually read through them all, or want to. I can understand putting a few on to show the range of what you've done or the few most recent, but just a massive list of every gig you've had? confused

EduCated Fri 02-Nov-12 23:59:16

Yeah, he seems keen to point out where it was a group of 'Asian lads' or an 'Indian birthday party'...

I just don't get why you'd do it, I mean, who other than me would actually read through them all, or want to. I can understand putting a few on to show the range of what you've done or the few most recent, but just a massive list of every gig you've had? confused

crisisofidentity Sat 03-Nov-12 00:10:15

When I opened this thread I thought it was going to be referring to MN!
Oh the irony.

EduCated Sat 03-Nov-12 00:13:49

grin

quoteunquote Sat 03-Nov-12 00:19:33

grin @ crisisofidentity.

PinkFairyDust Sat 03-Nov-12 00:25:14

What's a ebd primary school?

And am I correct - mld - mild learning difficulties
Sld - servere learning difficulties

But what is pmld? Havnt heard that before!

Very very odd - surprised he gets to do more with that kind of feed back he gives on people!

PinkFairyDust Sat 03-Nov-12 00:27:02

Tuesday 14th August - Tipton Playscheme, Tipton, West Midlands

8 - 16 year olds on this playscheme. Tightrope challenge popular. These older children really need to have more skills. Offered 'free workshop for lazy youth workers' to playscheme leader who may take it up.

shock how rude!!!

tallwivglasses Sat 03-Nov-12 00:30:18

PMLD - profound and multiple learning difficulties.

What an oddball!

Narked Sat 03-Nov-12 00:32:02

Me too Crisisofidentity grin

PinkFairyDust Sat 03-Nov-12 00:33:53

Thank you Tallwivglasses smile

Elderflowergranita Sat 03-Nov-12 00:35:18

Sounds like he became more judgemental as the year went on.

Maybe he's suffering from circus-training skills burn-out. smile

AngryBeaver Sat 03-Nov-12 00:37:19

EBD = Emotionally and behaviourally disturbed .
Ironic really wink

fuckwittery Sat 03-Nov-12 00:46:26

I may have got this wrong, but my overall impression is that actually his message is, circus skills transcend ability/learning/social and race background/ I think that's his reason to comment on ethnicity / disabilities. He perhaps doesn't do it in a very PC way but I feel sure that's the underlying message. If you read in that way does it change things? He's pretty blunt about when it doesn't work as well, but that's OK to me.
e.g.
Tuesday 7th August - SWIIS Foster Care, Edgbaston, Birmingham
Circus skills workshops for 15 - 20 kids in foster care. Varying ages and attitudes. The diversity of circus offers hope for all!

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Sat 03-Nov-12 00:54:54

grin I thought it was going to be about MN too.

CaptainNancy Sat 03-Nov-12 01:08:14

erm- that would be Emotional and Behavioural Difficulties!

I too thought this was about MN.

WilsonFrickett Sat 03-Nov-12 01:36:08

Oh dear. That's all a bit weird, isn't it?

AngryBeaver Sat 03-Nov-12 02:45:01

It can stand for emotional and behavioural disturbance/disorder/disability.
My Mum was a dep.head of a EBD and they used the term disturbed. But I think it is seen as outdated now.

EduCated Sat 03-Nov-12 04:19:01

Fuckwittery I think you're probably right, but it really doesn't come across well and a couple of the comments seem a bit ignorant. It was the birthday one that really made hmm Just why say it?!

Spinkle Sat 03-Nov-12 07:19:39

EBD= Emotional and Behavioural Difficulties

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now