Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think gift vouchers are a dangerous waste of money!

(18 Posts)
TheDetective Fri 02-Nov-12 21:33:06

In this economic climate?

I have never bought them anyway, but certainly wouldn't now. Too many business' going in to administration, unable to honor vouchers etc.

Surely people must see by now this is dangerous way of giving a gift!

Why are people still buying them? I know it is a nicer idea than giving money, but really, money would be much more sensible to be honest!

Tee2072 Fri 02-Nov-12 21:34:14

hmm

PuppyMonkey Fri 02-Nov-12 21:34:29

Never thought of an M&S voucher as dangerous before. grin

halloweeneyqueeney Fri 02-Nov-12 21:36:01

YANBU, I particularly hate getting them as new baby gifts as I know that half of them will go unused

either because its enough to get me and the baby and keys and my baby head out the door without remembering I had a voucher somewhere for something on my list

or because its for somewhere SHITE like mothercare who will not let you redeme online and there's no store in my town (and nothing I want in their store)

mutny Fri 02-Nov-12 21:47:16

I think they have their place.

You do realise some people ASK for vouchers as presents.

stargirl1701 Fri 02-Nov-12 21:48:36

I think it depends on the store. I can't see John Lewis or M&S going bust anytime soon.

Phineyj Fri 02-Nov-12 21:50:59

I think you're BU. I'd much rather get vouchers from relatives who otherwise have no clue what I'd like/need -- otherwise it's just as much hassle going to the shop to return the item.

Pancakeflipper Fri 02-Nov-12 21:51:23

Yes. I bought my neighbours some as a huge thanks. And the problems they have caused would be funny if it wasn't so disappointing. In fact I think I will do another email about it to the company who are very mean.

GwendolineMaryLacey Fri 02-Nov-12 21:51:59

I love vouchers. Money goes on shoes or the kids or the gas bill. Vouchers go on nice things smile

Jsa1980 Fri 02-Nov-12 21:53:27

My pearents request vouchers for Xmas, luckily not from Comet!

wishiwasonholiday Fri 02-Nov-12 21:54:06

I save up for Xmas and get amazon and love to shop vouchers, I also buy iTunes vouchers for teenage relatives, much easier than something they don't want.

Some are a pain though, dp's aunt bought the dec clothes last Christmas which were too small, I still have the credit note as there's nothing I like/in their size and the store is miles away so will probably expire before I get chance to go again.

beamme Fri 02-Nov-12 21:54:30

I buy my sister vouchers every birthday, usually clothes because she likes to choose her own. But I always but somewhere like Debenhams, Next or New Look.

halloweeneyqueeney Fri 02-Nov-12 21:55:21

there's also always an element of wastage, they pay £10 for a voucher for a store that I don't routinely shop in, so I find something for within £10 and have a wallet full of useless voucher cards with £1.17 on them which I'll never get spend....

so bad value from the gift buyer's point of view

that is if they ever even get used!

We have about 3 next vouchers that are getting near their expiry date. At least 2 of them are full. Next isn't a shop we regularly pass or make a special trip to, total waste of the buyer's money!

porridgewithalmondmilk Fri 02-Nov-12 21:55:35

I often buy vouchers as gifts, because many people don't like to accept cash and especially if you live quite a long way away it can be quite difficult to know what their DCs already have. I generally buy Waterstone's vouchers or Debenhams/John Lewis.

Most people seem grateful!

sausagesandwich34 Fri 02-Nov-12 21:58:03

we sell vouchers at work

last year we binned a load because the company had gone into administration

no one got a refund!

halloweeneyqueeney Fri 02-Nov-12 21:58:17

but if you don't know what someone will like then you're unlikely to know what shops they'll go to

I NEVER go to Debenhams.. it's quite a way out of my way too! Parking is expensive by my nearest one and I have no other reason to go there

better to take a stab at an actual gift

wigglesrock Fri 02-Nov-12 22:01:31

I love getting vouchers - my aunt buys me a Sainsburys voucher every Christmas, bloody godsend in January.

halloweeneyqueeney Fri 02-Nov-12 22:04:54

I'd like sainsbos vouchers wiggles, or boots, because I'd know they'd get used!

Never get anything like that though, will prob get more to go on the shops I never shop in voucher pile this x mas too.. and probably a load of unusable mothercare ones again when I give birth to no2.. it's such a waste! I feel bad for the givers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now