Talk

Advanced search

Have we had the annual I-hate-private-fireworks-displays thread yet?

(18 Posts)
PeggyCarter Fri 02-Nov-12 19:19:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fosterangel Fri 02-Nov-12 19:47:57

YANBU!! I am trying at this very moment to calm our dogs who are going mental with worry trying to defend our home from (in their imaginations) giant pussycats with cannon and machine guns and exploding grenades. We have the curtains drawn and the TV on really loud which really irritates me as I like to zone it out usually and do something more interesting like reading.

Come last wee wee time (the dogs, not us!) we will have the dogs hurling themselves at the boundary fences in terror and we will not be able to get them inside unless there is a reasonable lull in the continuous onslaught of bangs.

This is the one massive drawback to living on an estate. Most Saturday nights we have some fireworks but this time of year it is almost continuous.

I hope your lo gets back to sleep. My bs was terrified of fireworks for the first two years of his life but is now a strapping lad of 27!

I would ban all fireworks except those at organised displays. Bah humbug!!

Elesbe Fri 02-Nov-12 19:49:38

Yes, a few days ago!

Fosterangel Fri 02-Nov-12 19:50:26

Lol! Late to the party again! xx

Nancy66 Fri 02-Nov-12 19:51:10

we always have a private one. Ours is in Monday...grin

MajesticWhine Fri 02-Nov-12 19:51:14

YABU. We don't have a public display around here (health and safety). So someone in the neighbourhood is organising one. It will be on 5th Nov and early evening, so hopefully it won't offend anyone.

OwedToAutumn Fri 02-Nov-12 19:52:23

In Australia, where I grew up, private fireworks are (were, anyway) illegal. Public displays are so much better, anyway. I have been to private displays in this country, and always find them disappointing compared to public displays.

Our local rotary club does one. The people who run it are friendly and jolly and raise a lot of money for charidee. So, a good thing all round!

PeggyCarter Fri 02-Nov-12 19:54:26

ll31 Fri 02-Nov-12 19:58:24

yabu-sorry but life doesn't stop just cos you have a child!! also ime not all small babies children are bothered By them

PeggyCarter Fri 02-Nov-12 19:59:47

LadyBeagle Fri 02-Nov-12 20:02:13

YANBU. I like fireworks, but I wish it was a designated day, so many dogs hate them.
Mine is an idiot and just barks at them but my sister's dog is a timid little thing and it terrifies her (she's even scared of squeeky toys TBF).
And did anyone watch This Morning today?
The fashion item was warm kids clothes for bonfire night, and clothes for dogs at the same time, you know. so they'll be all warm and cosy too?
Who the fuck would take a dog to bonfire night??

DoesItComeInBlack Fri 02-Nov-12 20:12:36

I used to have a springer spaniel who wasn't a bit bothered by fireworks, but then she was a trained gundog so it would have been pretty poor if she had been. She used to love coming watching the fireworks with me. But I realise this is exceptional.
I agree that fireworks should be restricted however, you only have to think about those kids in Salford who had one blow up in their faces to know YANBU.

PeggyCarter Fri 02-Nov-12 20:28:00

oohlaalaa Fri 02-Nov-12 20:36:51

I don't know, as a child, I loved my uncle's bonfire parties. As an adult, I think the public ones are very good, cheaper than having a party, and no offence to neighbours caused.

I think it depends where you live, my uncle's a farmer, and doesn't have any immediate neighbours.

AgentZigzag Fri 02-Nov-12 20:38:03

Fireworks are unreasonable if they're put through your letterbox, are chucked at you, or wake your small children.

In fact anything/anybody waking your baby is unreasonable, so YANBU smile

CanonFodder Fri 02-Nov-12 20:42:04

If it were late then I could understand your gripe, but it was 7.20pm when you posted, which isn't late, so YABU. And as annoying as it is, the world doesn't stop for those with babies.

BsshBossh Fri 02-Nov-12 20:45:40

YABU. And I say this with a DD who goes to bed at 7pm. It's a pain when it wakes/scares her but it's only a few nights a year and when she's older I can't wait to have our own fireworks party grin.

beamme Fri 02-Nov-12 21:51:35

YANBU when people have their own displays too early. But YABU to expect people to go to public displays only. Public displays are on far too late for my DC's, most don't start until 7pm. We do our own little display every year, as do most of our neighbors. But we have it at about 5pm, so as not to disturb others and not break routine.
I'm more annoyed at the fireworks on New Years, bloody people letting them off at midnight!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now