Talk

Advanced search

to hate parents who swear?

(81 Posts)
ditsydoll Fri 02-Nov-12 16:26:00

So I have just been sat on the bus with DD and behind us where a woman and man with 3 young children effing and blinding about some woman. I ended up getting up and moving down the bus as Dd was listening and id rather she didn't repeat any of the choice language.

It's so unfair that we try so hard to protect our children and set a good example and they pick it up from some horrid other person on the bus, I feel sorry for their poor children.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Fri 02-Nov-12 16:28:23

it isn't great at all, but i do know some great parents who are quite sweary and there are worse things they could be.

LightTheGooTouchpaper Fri 02-Nov-12 16:29:41

hate isn't a very nice word now, is it?

Tee2072 Fri 02-Nov-12 16:29:53

The obvious response to this thread is, of course, oh FFS...

DesperatelySeekingSedatives Fri 02-Nov-12 16:30:55

There's a lot worse parents can be doing to their kids than swearing in front of them....

NettoSpookerstar Fri 02-Nov-12 16:31:21

I swear, not in public and not at DD though.
Hate's a bit of a strong word isn't it?

InSPsFanjoNoOneHearsYouScream Fri 02-Nov-12 16:32:12

It's the children that swear that annoy me. They seem to know more words then me! grin

ditsydoll Fri 02-Nov-12 16:33:34

I think its disgusting to swear around your kids, yeah obviously there are worse things a parent could do but I really can't stand anything more than hearing a little one swear, is it really that hard to just NOT swear. Surely theres just no reason for it and especially to protect your little ones.

Tee2072 Fri 02-Nov-12 16:35:07

Protect my little ones? hmm I'd rather protect them from the small minded and the judgemental.

ditsydoll Fri 02-Nov-12 16:35:11

If my DD swore and I knew she had heard it from me I definitely wouldn't be feeling like the best parent that's for sure.

BadgersBottom Fri 02-Nov-12 16:35:24

Protect them from what? Seriously - from what? There's plenty you should be protecting them from but fucking swearing isn't up there! Get a grip! Your PFB will be fluent in cussing from day 1 at school!

VerySmallSqueak Fri 02-Nov-12 16:35:41

I think it's wrong to swear at your kids,but it's a reality for kids to hear swearing.

ditsydoll Fri 02-Nov-12 16:36:04

I don't think its small minded to think that swearing infront of your kids is horrid..

HelloOutThere Fri 02-Nov-12 16:36:32

yanbu me too

DesperatelySeekingSedatives Fri 02-Nov-12 16:37:31

I swear in front of mine. I know I shouldnt but <shrug> shit happens. Neither have imploded on impact from overhearing a few naughty words.

I do however strive to protect both my children from actual harm. Being hit by a car, from people who might not be very nice to them- for example. I feed them and clothe them and keep a roof over their heads. So really on balance, I (and their dad) are not doing too bad a job....

monkeyfacegrace Fri 02-Nov-12 16:37:41

I have a potty mouth.

My kids know wine is for grown ups.
My kids know driving is for grown ups.
My kids know boiled sweets are for grown ups.
My kids know my bad words are for grown ups.

BadgersBottom Fri 02-Nov-12 16:38:42

Absolutely right monkeyface.

NellyBluth Fri 02-Nov-12 16:41:11

There's no reason to swear in front of kids. Don't get me wrong, I love me a good swear and DP and I often sound like an episode of the Sopranos, but it's not fantastic to swear in front of kids. It's not fantastic to swear prolifically in public either. That's just basic politeness. So while YABU to use the word 'hate', YANBU unreasonable to have that opinion.

WilsonFrickett Fri 02-Nov-12 16:41:31

I swear. I don't swear at my DS, but he has heard me swearing. He has also heard me teaching him, telling him he's the sweetest and most loved child in the whole wide world (true), heard me standing up for him, heard me protecting him. The odd FFS has not rocked his world.

Tee2072 Fri 02-Nov-12 16:41:31

What monkey said.

WilsonFrickett Fri 02-Nov-12 16:42:17

And what monkey said, she's got her shit together that one.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Fri 02-Nov-12 16:42:38

I don't swear, not at all, in front of children or not. I don't think children should have to listen to it but then again, I don't think anybody should have to listen to it. That said, I don't react when I do hear it.

I do think that people who swear have no call though to say where others should and shouldn't swear. Swearing is either ok for you or it isn't.

pumpkinsweetie Fri 02-Nov-12 16:42:59

I also agree with Monkeyface grin

OneMoreChap Fri 02-Nov-12 16:45:26

I use industrial language on occasion.
I try to avoid it, and used to try and avoid swearing in front of women.

Now... sometimes I swear.
If my kids heard me swear, there were swears and bad swears . "Daddy's sorry he said that, that was a bad swear and I shouldn't have said it".

VerySmallSqueak Fri 02-Nov-12 16:45:27

I'd love not to swear.
But I always fuck up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now