Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think that it's rude to spark up a cigarette when you're cramped with a dozen other people under a small balcony?

(86 Posts)
Lira Fri 02-Nov-12 15:51:31

I was in town today and the rain came on very heavily. I dashed over to a wall that had a balcony over it. There were already five other people standing there and over the space of ten minutes, 5-7 other people came over.

We were all clearly waiting on the rain to stop, and there was that horrible awkward silence going on. We were squashed uncomfortably together (imagine the size of an average bus shelter), and just kept doing that weird smile/nod thing to each other.

Anyway, one of the ladies standing in the middle decided to pull out a cigarette and start puffing away. Again, no one said anything but she was getting a few looks. After a minute, three people moved away from her so that they were half-under the balcony, and getting wet. She then proceeded to spread out a bit more, and no longer stood quite so hunched (note - she was already taking up the most room because of her pushchair and gazillion bags; she was one of the last to arrive but had no issue with sqishing past people to get nearest the back of the wall)

And after reading another thread on here about how people make up stories so they can say YABU...

I've considered the fact she might have been anxious about being in a small space and needed a cigarette to relax.

I realise she might be an addict and could have sparked up subconsciously.

I also know we were outside so she was perfectly within her rights.

And taking all of this into account, i still think it was selfish. I've now got a horrible taste of cigarette smoke in my mouth that I can't get rid of and dd said she can smell it on my clothes.

ClippedPhoenix Fri 02-Nov-12 15:54:36

I've now got a horrible taste of cigarette smoke in my mouth that I can't get rid of and dd said she can smell it on my clothes

Yes, she was selfish but you're a bit OTT grin

cheekydevil Fri 02-Nov-12 15:55:04

YABU, how do you know she hasn't got seriously selfish disorder?

Lira Fri 02-Nov-12 15:57:52

I know clippedphoenix, i'm being a bit of a drama queen. blush I can honestly taste it though! I must have swallowed/breathed in loads of it. It was all blowing in my face.

I suppose I should have just left and got soaked by rain instead, but I'm a tad stubborn and though 'why should I be the one to move?'

BadgersBottom Fri 02-Nov-12 16:00:38

YAB a bit drama llama to involve your DD in this! Anyway, I think you all should have formed a coherent battle group and pitchforked her to death! That would have learned her!

expatinscotland Fri 02-Nov-12 16:01:43

Should have called the police! She should have been immediately hanged.

threesocksfortheguy Fri 02-Nov-12 16:01:56

yabu ffs it was outside

ClippedPhoenix Fri 02-Nov-12 16:02:08

To be perfectly honest OP, I'm a smoker and I wouldn't dream of doing this.

I also hate the smell of second hand smoke in small places. The rain seems to make the smell worse too.

honeytea Fri 02-Nov-12 16:03:17

yanbu, I have started to tell lpeople who come and sit next to me and light a fag that the smoke will set of my morning sickness, I tell them they are well within their rights to smoke but unfortunatly there is a high chance they will get vomit on their shoes. I intend to continue with this story even when I'm not pregnant any more.

whensteaready Fri 02-Nov-12 16:05:04

I smoke and i would not have done this. In fact I only smoke when there is no one around me.
We went to chessington and got there early, there was a huge throng of people waiting at the gates and a couple were lighting up then with children in close proximity.
YANBU

aldiwhore Fri 02-Nov-12 16:06:08

I'm a smoker. YANBU.

Saying that, I am very surprised so many people were unprepared for rain in November. (If you are in the UK)

CatsRule Fri 02-Nov-12 16:19:24

It may of been outside but in my experience smokers are seriously inconsiderate!

YADNBU!!

WeAllHaveWings Fri 02-Nov-12 16:35:29

YANBU, I am an ex smoker and would never have done this with others in such close proximity.

Being a smoker doesn't make anyone daft enough to think that their smoke isn't unpleasant to non-smokers. They are not stupid enough to think it doesn't make others hair and clothes smell nasty until they are washed.

They are just extremely selfish. They are lighting up and basically saying fuck the rest of you I'm having a fag because I can.

(can you tell I hate smoking since I gave up)

FeckOffCup Fri 02-Nov-12 16:45:55

YABU, none of you were forced to stay under that balcony and breathe in her cigarette smoke. Get an umbrella for the next time.

whensteaready Fri 02-Nov-12 16:52:37

Catsrule, I am a smoker and I am not inconsiderate, I never smoke around other people.
Please dont make such sweeping inaccurate generalisations.

Jusfloatingby Fri 02-Nov-12 16:53:22

YANBU. It was incredibly rude and selfish. It drives me mad when people do this in bus shelters as well when its lashing rain. Basically they're saying 'either breathe in my smoke or stand outside and get soaked'. Tossers.

WeAllHaveWings Fri 02-Nov-12 16:57:09

none of you were forced to stay under that balcony

of course EVERYONE else should have moved for one persons selfishness.

It would have been considerate of her not to smoke in that situation. It was selfish of her not to consider the unpleasantness of her smoking to others in such close proximity.

Therefore she WAS either inconsiderate and selfish, or, she did consider it and do it anyway so was rude and selfish.

catgirl1976 Fri 02-Nov-12 16:59:54

YANBU

And the reason I know this, is this morning I was cramped into a small alcove with about 8 of my colleagues, waiting for the office to open and sheltering from the horrible weather.

I was dying to light up. But I didn't. Because I have better manners than that. And I am a self-entitled nightmare. So if I didn't do it out of consideration for my fellow man, then it's bang out of order.

<gavel>

QueenofNightmares Fri 02-Nov-12 17:03:21

I hate when it starts raining and everyone decides to hide under a teeny bit of shelter usually in a door way really pisses me off its only rain it won't kill you and is probably nicer water than the crap that came out of your tap when you had your shower this morning.

Anyway that has sod all to do with your question as a smoker YANBU I'm always worried about offending someone with my smoke. It's my choice not theirs why should anyone else suffer for my disgusting habit? <planning to quit soon hence the attitude>

WeAllHaveWings Fri 02-Nov-12 17:04:00

catgirl1976 smile

fromparistoberlin Fri 02-Nov-12 17:06:55

do people not own umbrellas in your town??? strange

Shodan Fri 02-Nov-12 17:43:11

Another smoker here who thinks that it was incredibly selfish and ill-mannered.

It's my filthy habit, not anyone else's and I am always conscious of that fact. I don't smoke around non-smokers ever.

MrsCantSayAnything Fri 02-Nov-12 17:46:01

Yanbu but don't say "Sparked up" It sounds silly.

MrsCantSayAnything Fri 02-Nov-12 17:46:38

OOh I am with Queen on how annoying people are over the rain! You're not made of sugar and you won't melt.

MrsHoarder Fri 02-Nov-12 17:50:48

Queen I usually wear clothes when in town which would get soggy in the rain and the rain is somewhat colder than my shower.

Although I usually only shelter for 2 mins whilst I find the buggy rain cover/my kag.

OP YANBU

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now