Talk

Advanced search

To think some posters come up with crazy scenarios to say YABU

(108 Posts)
Jusfloatingby Fri 02-Nov-12 14:20:50

You know the kind of thing. Someone posts about a mother of 5 children allowing the kids to behave outrageously in a restaurant and people come back with:

"YABU. How do you know that all five children don't have SNs."

"YABU. How do you know she was their mother? She could have been a family friend whose christian name just happens to be 'mum'".

Imagine if people went on like that in RL. You would never, ever be able to have a proper conversation because it would just drift off into fantasy land after 5 mins.

Pascha Fri 02-Nov-12 14:22:33

Blimey! Can you imagine actually being called Mum shock!

monsterchild Fri 02-Nov-12 14:24:53

YABU! Maybe they are all writers looking for some plot lines.

or aliens

germyrabbit Fri 02-Nov-12 14:25:06

the mcds one made me laugh, some of those scenarios were dead funny.

You mean my name isn't mum? confused[identitycrisis]

pictish Fri 02-Nov-12 14:27:03

hahahaaa! Yanbu! I agree. grin

Kalisi Fri 02-Nov-12 14:27:36

Kind of, although I pretty work on the assumption that most human beings are reasonable and therefore most 'unreasonable' behaviour must have a story behind it. It's how I sleep at night hmm

MyLastDuchess Fri 02-Nov-12 14:28:04

In fairness, I do know someone called Nana ...

Trills Fri 02-Nov-12 14:28:42

Someone used the phrase "professionally unoffended" earlier.

I wonder if it applies here.

"No I would not be annoyed at <situation described> because I would understand that it might be because of <unlikely thing that explains but still doesn't make it any less annoying>"

SuePurblybilt Fri 02-Nov-12 14:29:04

There was a Nan in the Bobbsey Twins <helpful>

I do agree OP. Does get a little silly.

Jusfloatingby Fri 02-Nov-12 14:30:28

Oh that's a great expression Trills.

Although maybe all those professionally unoffended posters are really fairy princesses who floated down to earth to make us all good and kind and...........................
so YABU.

50ShadesOfGreggs Fri 02-Nov-12 14:31:00

Yes, but what if all 5 actually HAD SN, AND she really was called mum?
I know someone to whom the exact same thing happened. So there, YABU.

grin

pictish Fri 02-Nov-12 14:31:01

I always remember a poster being toasted because she dared to be irate at being mowed down by a mobility scooter being driven by someone who was not paying attention.

Apparently, she shouldn't have been walking on the pavement in the first place. shock grin

WhatsTheBuzz Fri 02-Nov-12 14:32:22

YANBU! Some people seem determined to deem everyone's behaviour unreasonable!

cheekydevil Fri 02-Nov-12 14:32:51

YABU OP, what if they have attention seeking MH issues? grin

degutastic Fri 02-Nov-12 14:33:21

snorts at the family friend co-incidentally called mum

Yanbu, op, yanbu grin

EmpressOfTheSevenRomanCandles Fri 02-Nov-12 14:34:08

There was a thread a while ago, though, where the OP ranted about the bad behaviour of a family in Pizza Hut & then the mum came on to say that actually the kids DID have SNs, and she'd apologised to the waitress for the mess and left an extra big tip.

Anne & Gilbert Blythe had a Nan too. I'd forgotten all about the Bobbsey Twins.

Jusfloatingby Fri 02-Nov-12 14:34:48

OH I feel guilty now for having judged. For all I know their real mother could have been at home arguing with the bailiffs who had come to take her telly and her kitchen table and 'Mum' was taking all the DN children out of the way to protect them
I feel soooooooooo bad. I don't know how I didn't realise what was really going on.

Mintyy Fri 02-Nov-12 14:35:05

Oh please link if there is a good thread I have missed grin.

I am currently doing battle on the dog poo in wheelie bins thread. Apparently I am some sort of fraek for not being utterly sanguine about the thought of random strangers putting their canine waste products in my bin.

Oh yes - the scottish woman with the green leggings in York. I stopped reading after there were racist cries.

I'm pretty sure everyone was offended by the end. Scottish people, pedestrians, yorkshire men and women, disabled people...

ClippedPhoenix Fri 02-Nov-12 14:35:33

Some people just like a barney grin

Jusfloatingby Fri 02-Nov-12 14:35:56

Sorry x post Empress.

Trills Fri 02-Nov-12 14:37:45

The thing is, if you ask "AIBU to be annoyed...?" then even if all 5 kids do have SN, it's still annoying. You can understand why they are being annoying, but that doesn't stop it being annoying.

If you ask "AIBU to think they shouldn't be there..?" then fair enough.

But it's hard to tell someone that they are BU to be annoyed at something that is annoying.

WorraLiberty Fri 02-Nov-12 14:41:07

Trills my head has just exploded reading your post

But I agree probably

<< Mops up blood and gore >>

anklebitersmum Fri 02-Nov-12 14:41:25

Howling at "happened to my friend called Mum"

YANBU!

You are however most brave for posting instead of muttering in an annoyed manner at the computer screen and heading for the kettle like I do grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now