Talk

Advanced search

To sell dress parents bought for me

(15 Posts)
Toffeeapple21 Fri 02-Nov-12 12:00:18

Parents brought me a dress a couple of years ago as they saw it in a shop and thought it would look good on me.

It is floor length formal dress, I have never worn it and probably never will. It is not really my style and on reflection I should have probably declined to accept it when they bought it but I didn't want to offend them so accepted it and it has been in my wardrobe ever since.

I feel so bad as my parents don't have lots of spare cash to throw away. The dress was about £150 rrp although they got it in the sales for about £50.

I think I should either eBay or charity shop it. But I feel so guilty, although I realise it's a waste sitting in my wardrobe unworn. Am I being ridiculous and what would you do?

charlottehere Fri 02-Nov-12 12:03:35

Sell

HtotheS Fri 02-Nov-12 12:04:22

My mum has given me things that I don't like and I've put them on eBay. She once asked me about a cardigan! And I just said I'd got too chubby for it!

tethersend Fri 02-Nov-12 12:05:01

Wear it on the school run grin

ImperialFireworksInMyKnickers Fri 02-Nov-12 12:05:30

Sell. Silly to sit there taking up valuable space. If you feel that strongly, use the money raised to support them in some way.

Inneedofbrandy Fri 02-Nov-12 12:05:54

I kinda think it would be good to have just in case. Imagine you do need one one day do you have a £100/150 spare to just buy another one for 1 occasion.

I'd sell it. If it goes for over what they paid, give them the cash?? Or buy them something nice for Christmas with the money?

Not helpful sorry, my parent's haven't bought me sod all since my 21st when they bought me some cheap thin towels from Matalan. How thoughtful eh?

Lueji Fri 02-Nov-12 12:08:22

I'd sell.
And use to buy them Christmas presents? smile

Cahoots Fri 02-Nov-12 12:09:22

Can you alter it?

If not I think it is ok to sell it.

ZillionChocolate Fri 02-Nov-12 12:22:35

Toffeeapple21 if you had a formal occasion to go to (black tie wedding?), would you wear the dress or would you buy something new? If there are no circumstances in which you'd ever wear it, I think you can sell it. You didn't ask for it.

Ithinkitsjustme Fri 02-Nov-12 12:29:22

I think I'd ask them how they feel about it tbh. I'm sure that they would prefer you to have something you will use than just have it in the wardrobe gathering dust. As others have said you could always buy them something with the money if you wanted, or split it with them.

Wilding Fri 02-Nov-12 12:31:44

If it's not really your style then there's no point keeping it 'just in case' - I wouldn't want to go to a formal occasion wearing something I didn't really like. Sell sell sell. I've got rid of various gifts from family over the years - I still appreciate the sentiment and the love that went with the gifts, but I don't have room to keep everything everyone's ever bought me.

Shesparkles Fri 02-Nov-12 12:33:14

How about selling it and using the proceeds to buy something you will wear and enjoy wearing, and look on that as the gift from your parents ?

StarsGhostTail Fri 02-Nov-12 12:43:19

Dh and I have clothing gifts off my mum and his sister sitting in our wardrobes.
I too think I really must bite the bullet and send them to outer charity shop.

DontmindifIdo Fri 02-Nov-12 12:53:28

I just got rid of my evening dresses - I haven't needed something suitable for a blacktie occassion for nearly 10 years, I decided it was a waste of time and space keeping them.

Ebay it, if you haven't had reason to wear it for a couple of years, you aren't likely too for a few years more, it's just taking up space. Why would your parents ask about it? Unless they invited you to a black tie event or go poking about your bedroom, they wouldn't notice it's not in your wardrobe. Just don't mention it again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now