Talk

Advanced search

...to put tights on my DS?

(80 Posts)
DingDongBelle Fri 02-Nov-12 10:29:31

DS (18mo) is a Warmth Refuser. He will not wear a hat, scarf, gloves, socks, boots or shoes. Attempts to apply these items to him are met with screaming.

I fight them all onto him and leave the house: hat usually removed by doorstep. Scarf and gloves by the gate. Before we've been out ten minutes he will have his socks and shoes off and I will have wrestled him into his coat a couple of times.

I've taken to layering him up like a woolly little onion (vest, gro, tshirt, hoodie, etc) to keep him warm but he will not wear shoes and I can't shop for pretty house stuff essentials while he's screaming. BUT his little toes are freezing by the time we get home.

I want to put woolly tights under his trousers. DH is highly upset at the idea. AIBU?

Mumsnet Jury: GO!

lucyellenmum Fri 02-Nov-12 10:31:01

Nooooooo don't do it, he will grow up to be a raging homosexual and you'll never forgive yourself HTH

cbeebiesatemybrain Fri 02-Nov-12 10:32:00

Yanbu! I always put my ds in tights when he was little. No one can see them under their trousers anyway.

RyleDup Fri 02-Nov-12 10:32:43

No YANBU. You can even buy boys tights these days. He won't catch the gay, so tell dh to stop worrying!

lynniep Fri 02-Nov-12 10:33:04

LOL. do it. I made DS1 wear tights. I don't think I've damaged him!

JazzAnnNonMouse Fri 02-Nov-12 10:33:05

Of course you should. Putting tights on a baby won't subconsciously turn him into a cross dresser when he's 50. grin

TiggyD Fri 02-Nov-12 10:34:33

Tights for boys are fine. But trying to find them with Ben 10 on will be tricky.

I sometimes wear them myself when I go for a long winter walk.

VirginiaDare Fri 02-Nov-12 10:34:39

Lots of boys wear tights. Like, the whole of continental Europe.

ISeeThreadPeople Fri 02-Nov-12 10:34:49

Of course you should put him in tights. What on earth is your dh's problem with it? My 13mo ds is wearing tights and KNICKERBOCKERS today. Oh yes. He will be in showbusiness I'm sure.

TiggyD Fri 02-Nov-12 10:34:51

Under trousers BTW.

TantrumsAndBalloons Fri 02-Nov-12 10:35:27

My 13 year old ds wears tights to football training every day. They all do.

oohnewshoes Fri 02-Nov-12 10:37:51

I did it with my Ds too. Firstly for your reasons and later as an extra layer as he rambeled the garden in all weathers.

I had to stop when he refused at 3 1/2. He is now 5 and will still remind me of how naughty I was when I put them on his sisgrin

WelshMaenad Fri 02-Nov-12 10:39:54

Of course it's ok. Just not pink ones or he will catch The Gays.

caramelwaffle Fri 02-Nov-12 10:40:08

He won't catch the gay and he will be warm. Win, win.

Now go and buy pretty house things essentials.

caramelwaffle Fri 02-Nov-12 10:40:39

x-post smile

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Fri 02-Nov-12 10:40:50

Boys wear tights in most of europe (even in some very macho countries not only sweden).
Go to H&M they have tights with spiderman & carz on it... may be it will help your DH accept it.

Leeds2 Fri 02-Nov-12 10:40:57

Many professional footballers wear tights, and gloves, these days.

Wrigglebum Fri 02-Nov-12 10:41:05

H&M have some lovely tights in boy friendly colours- we got navy, grey, bright blue and funky stripes. They're great in the sling for ds2 (six months). I'm considering them for ds1 too (3.5) as he's so skinny he gets cold easily.

Wrigglebum Fri 02-Nov-12 10:41:48

Xposts mousquetair.

xxDebstarxx Fri 02-Nov-12 10:42:52

I did it with mine so YANBU

HoobleDooble Fri 02-Nov-12 10:43:40

I used to put my son in a baby gro with his trousers over the top as he had to habit of whipping off his shoes and socks and throwing them at people around town!

FunnyLittleFrog Fri 02-Nov-12 10:44:47

put him in tights and get on with shopping for your pretty things grin

can't understand why is DH highly upset - doe he think his boy will turn into a GAY because he has woolly warm toes?

TiggyD Fri 02-Nov-12 10:45:20

"Boys wear tights in most of europe (even in some very macho countries not only sweden)." grin Way to insult a country!

GlaikitFizzog Fri 02-Nov-12 10:48:43

Ds wears tights here. Got some in h&m last year and will pick up more soon for this year.

And shock horror for you dh, I also let him wear pink shock wink

shinybaubles Fri 02-Nov-12 10:49:13

I have many photos of my dh in tights when he was younger, it's very common in the Netherlands. Also had my little one in tights when we lived that way as were many of the other little boys at his school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now