Talk

Advanced search

to see a boy in shorts this morning and think...

(68 Posts)
BillyBollyBandy Fri 02-Nov-12 09:10:35

I know how that conversation went this morning grin

2 boys, 1 mum. 1 boy in trousers and very wrapped up. 1 mum very wrapped up. 1 boy in shorts and a light coat.

I just bet there was a

"put your trousers on"
"I don't need them"
"you'll feeze"
"no I won't"
<repeat for 5 mins>

"do what you like but you will be cold all day"

Or I am projecting and that only happens in my house?

hobnobsaremyfave Fri 02-Nov-12 09:11:58

smile

WofflingOn Fri 02-Nov-12 09:14:27

Maybe, but my Aspie and I went up to London yesterday. Me in layers, jumper and coat. Him in a T shirt and unbuttoned overshirt. I have always looked like a neglectful parent!

Fakebook Fri 02-Nov-12 09:16:04

We have an argument everytime we're about to leave the house in the morning after breakfast.

Me: go and put some warm clothes on and a coat.

Dd returns wearing a t shirt and summer shorts.

Me: you can't wear those out, it's cold

Dd: but mummmmmy, I like the t shirt with butterflies. I don't want to wear a coat.

Me: PUT YOUR WARM CLOTHES ON I'LL DRESS YOU MYSELF LIKE I DRESS YOUR BABY BROTHER.

That normally sorts her out smile sad part is she's not even 5 yet..

BillyBollyBandy Fri 02-Nov-12 09:17:01

Ah see Woffling prior to my terror dd1 I would have been very judgy, thinking it is as easy as just prising their arms into the coat. Now I know better.

Pick Your Battles will be on my gravestone

Theas18 Fri 02-Nov-12 09:17:30

That's the conversations we used to have ! DS went to school in shorts pretty much all year round in year 5 and was the only boy who ever wore shorts in yr6. If they could have worn shorts in yr7 he would!

Mind you it's not a million years ago boys wore shorts all year round as school uniform and even DH( mid 40s now) had to wear shorts in the 1st 2 yrs of secondary (ie aged 10-12 as there was a " lower 1st" intake)

ImperialFireworksInMyKnickers Fri 02-Nov-12 09:18:11

I know a little boy with this syndrome. My friend has tried everything to get him to wear more clothes, but from the day he worked out how to undo buttons and zips it's always come straight off again. He hasn't died of pneumonia yet.grin

BeckAndCall Fri 02-Nov-12 09:18:26

I see a boy in shorts (in the snow even) and think it must be one of my nephews! Tough Yorkshire types, think long trousers are for sissies.... grin

BillyBollyBandy Fri 02-Nov-12 09:18:45

Ha Fakebook! my life consists of threats and bribes used in equal measure smile

WofflingOn Fri 02-Nov-12 09:18:45

He's got a broken thermostat, but he's always been snuggly warm and it's very useful when we're camping. He's very grumpy in hot weather. smile

nokidshere Fri 02-Nov-12 09:19:06

I've been having that converstaion for years grin and my two still don't wear coats and are often "inapropriately" dressed.

phlebas Fri 02-Nov-12 09:19:38

ha! WofflingOn me too - out with all the children, dd1/dd2/ds2 wrapped up like they are off to the Arctic ds1 (ASD) in shorts, T-shirt, no socks but huge snow boots & gloves. I'm just happy he's agreed that long rather the very short shorts are now acceptable.

WofflingOn Fri 02-Nov-12 09:21:53

Well, at least you have a selection of others to display your parenting skills well phlebas. smile
DD wraps up properly.

MammaTJ Fri 02-Nov-12 09:22:55

Oh yes, 'Pick your battles' is my personal mantra.

My DD wore a dress clearly too short for her and my friend was judging me for it.

We are in the process of trying to get a diagnosis of ADHD for my DD and the dress is a lovely soft velvet one. That morning I just did not have the strength to argue about that.

MrsCantSayAnything Fri 02-Nov-12 09:23:32

DD aged 4 went in ankle socks! I had long socks, trousers or tights but no...she wanted ankle socks!

notactuallyme Fri 02-Nov-12 09:23:46

yup, ds (4) insists on wearing shorts, and a short sleeved t shirt. every morning he gets dressed and looks all hopeful in his summer gear. i have to carefully suggest shorts may not be a good idea.

phlebas Fri 02-Nov-12 09:26:49

hmm people might think we're just supremely dysfunctional & ds1 is the child we've chosen to abuse! Especially if they saw his bedroom - window open (all year around), no heating on, one fleece blanket & no pillow ... but he's the only one who hasn't been ill for the last month!

BillyBollyBandy Fri 02-Nov-12 09:31:42

It's comforting to know that up and down the country the same shrieking conversations are being held.

Until the parents realise who's in charge and finally give up grin

OwedToAutumn Fri 02-Nov-12 09:31:50

I used to go and pick up DD2 every day from nursery. I would take a coat with me. She would refuse to wear it. I would carry it home. I always carried the coat, so that "people" could see that it was her choice not to wear it, not that I was neglectful. wink

Oh, and DD1 is 13, and rarely wears a coat to school. She is perfectly happy to wear her Roxy ski jacket on the weekends, though.

pictish Fri 02-Nov-12 09:33:57

Hahahaa! I have an 11 year old ds and we have those conversations regularly! grin

freddiefrog Fri 02-Nov-12 09:38:54

I've been having the same conversation for years too.

DD1 is sensible, but DD2 will only wear dresses or skirts and thanks to her insistence that she chooses her own clothes, she usually looks like she got dressed in the dark.

We went out for the day yesterday - long bright pink flowery summer skirt, flowery (but not in the least co-ordinating) summery t-shirt, striped cardigan and flip flops.

I'm going to get a badge made saying 'my daughter dressed herself'

I chuck sensible clothes and shoes in the car in the hope she'll realise she's freezing and want to change. She's too stubborn to admit it though

thebody Fri 02-Nov-12 09:40:51

Ds1 (23) hates the summer( odd child as was) always left the house in t shirt as hated to feel warm...

Ds2( 21) hates the winter( sensible child as all) always leaves house in cold weather in coat hat gloves scarf etc.

Dd3 (13) goes out with as little clothes as possible on as of course crop top and micro skirt is fine at -3 mom you are sooo sad!

Dd4 (12) actually dresses for the prevailing weather!!

At last took me 4 to get a normal one...

WilsonFrickett Fri 02-Nov-12 09:47:07

Mine has some sort of cognitive disassociation with the word 'park'.

There's one next to school. It's freezing. DS comes out of school looking like that that episode of Friends where Joey wears all Chandler's clothes, wearing coat, hat, gloves, boots, the works. Says 'can I go to the park', runs over to the park and starts stripping off. By the time I get there he's in his t-shirt and socks, running round like a loon. Every time. grin

pictish Fri 02-Nov-12 09:47:14

This is how my ds1 will apear 'ready to go out' in November - shorts, crocs with socks (even if it's raining) a t-shirt, and a light polyester skater style jacket.

Me - exclaim disbelief
Ds1 - tells me he's fine
Me - insist on a change
Ds1 - argue "I'll be FIIIINE!!"
Me - raise voice get pissed off
Ds1 - huff off muttering under breath, bang about in room, reappear with hoody
Me - change your shoes as well, it's pissing down
Ds1 - argue, huff off shouting, bang about in room whining "I'll be FIIIIIINNNEEE!!"

Repeat as necessary.

gah...

Chestnutx3 Fri 02-Nov-12 09:47:16

I always feel more sorry those overdressed children in puffer jackets, hats and gloves and its 14 degrees even if it is november

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now