Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think that I nursery should not really offer Coco Pops for breakfast.

(162 Posts)
SuzysZoo Thu 01-Nov-12 22:36:56

That's it really. At first nursery they had to offer healthy and sugar free cereals. New nursery and they have coco pops I just found out today. I am a bit surprised as I thought it had to be all healthy eating etc. Does anyone know? The kids love their new nursery - no wonder! They are 3 if that is relevant....

InSPsFanjoNoOneHearsYouScream Thu 01-Nov-12 22:39:48

I'd love some coco pops about now

<helpful>

KnickersOnOnesHead Thu 01-Nov-12 22:40:40

Cannot see what is wrong with cocopops. My then 3 yo ds lived on nothing else for a few weeks earlier this year.

PinkFairyDust Thu 01-Nov-12 22:41:50

I love coco pops!

BoysBoysBoysAndMe Thu 01-Nov-12 22:41:50

It's about balance isn't it?

If the kids are being fed crap all day then yanbu.

And you could just ask if your dc could have something else.

Inneedofbrandy Thu 01-Nov-12 22:44:58

What is wrong with coco pops?

SuzysZoo Thu 01-Nov-12 22:45:25

I love coco pops too and i don't really care because I think generally it's all balanced. We have coco pops for a holiday treat. I just thought that nurseries had so many rules and regs that there must be a no coco pops rule somewhere!! The old nursery used to say that ofsted wouldn't let them have a plastic bag on the premises, so I go the impression rules were quite rigid. That said, though, obviously a plastic bag can be fatal and coco pops wouldn't be!

RyleDup Thu 01-Nov-12 22:46:15

Its a bit of a crappy breakfast.

ScaryFakeNails Thu 01-Nov-12 22:46:46

I don't think its wrong to offer them although I don't see why its all they have, what if you don't like them. Isn't there toast or yogurt or something else at all?

According to the box I'm currently looking at, they have 9% of a childs daily sugar allowance (according to recommended government guidelines), The sugar is apparently equal to that of a banana and less than a glass of juice or yogurt. They provide 20% of the daily guidelines for fibre for children and 10% of the daily guidelines for vitamin D.

I'm actually now quite impressed and will be offering them more often.

FunnysInLaJardin Thu 01-Nov-12 22:46:52

seriously? What else do you want them to be fed? Bran Flakes?

CocoPopsAddict Thu 01-Nov-12 22:48:07

Yabvu!!

Sirzy Thu 01-Nov-12 22:49:32

I'm not a fan of breakfasts like that as a regular thing but don't see a problem with them having it as an occasional treat.

SuzysZoo Thu 01-Nov-12 22:50:22

I think they get a choice, so they are not all force fed coco pops but obviously if it's a choice between coco pops and bran flakes we know which is going to win. Bran flakes would be a bit extreme, but surely something like weetabix, shreddies or rice crispies would be less sugary and better.......

Inneedofbrandy Thu 01-Nov-12 22:52:37

I would love to see a link comparing sugar between coco pops and say rice crispys, I doubt there would be much difference.

SuzysZoo Thu 01-Nov-12 22:53:50

Oo yes maybe like when I found out that Special K had more sugar than Frosties, so, yum, might as well eat Frosties.......

RyleDup Thu 01-Nov-12 22:54:17

Why is bran flakes extreme?

PinkFairyDust Thu 01-Nov-12 22:55:22

Everyone assumes coco pops are he worst due to the fact coco is chocolate
But I bet rice crispier/frostiness are nearly the same!

Sirzy Thu 01-Nov-12 22:55:58

http://www.kelloggs.co.uk/products/cocopops/Cereal/coco_pops.aspx coco pops 35g sugar per 100g

http://www.kelloggs.co.uk/products/ricekrispies/Cereal/rice_krispies.aspx rice crispier 10g per 100g so a pretty big difference.

Sirzy Thu 01-Nov-12 22:56:11

www.kelloggs.co.uk/products/cocopops/Cereal/coco_pops.aspx coco pops 35g sugar per 100g

www.kelloggs.co.uk/products/ricekrispies/Cereal/rice_krispies.aspx rice crispier 10g per 100g so a pretty big difference.

DaveMccave Thu 01-Nov-12 22:56:49

YANBU. Especially in a nursery. I was pissed off when I found out 5 year old DD has sugar puffs at school breakfast club.

It's not good because it is bleached and refined sugar, not the same as in a banana.
It is not wholemeal, slow release and only offers artificial added vitamins not like a piece of fruit.
Eating refined sugars can become an addiction, not a good habit to be getting children into first thing in the morning.
It's not cereal, it's confectionary.

PickledFanjoCat Thu 01-Nov-12 22:58:53

I wouldn't be all that bothered but I might say only once or twice a week?

I bought some sugar puffs for me the other day on a nostalgic note. They are soooo sugary.

Personally I can't face chocolate stuff first thing so don't buy any of that stuff.

RyleDup Thu 01-Nov-12 22:58:58

What Dave said.

ScaryFakeNails Thu 01-Nov-12 22:59:34

Ok as we have every cereal known to man in, I had a look, cocoa pops have more sugar than shreddies, both have more than rice crispies. For a 30g bowl and considering the cocoa pops sugar only makes up 9% its really not a difference worth fussing over.

If they had say rice crispies and a small glass of fresh orange juice, that would be more sugar than a bowl of cocoa pops or a banana and a yogurt would equal more sugar.

brdgrl Thu 01-Nov-12 23:00:07

YANBU.

Here is a link to (American but some brands same and some obvious equivalencies) facts about the nutrition in various kids' cereals.

www.cerealfacts.org/media/Marketing_Rankings/Brand_Nutrition.pdf

Kiwiinkits Thu 01-Nov-12 23:00:09

YANBU, I think offering coco pops is terrible! Coco pops have bugger all fibre and have very high GI. Also relatively high in sodium. They provide a terrible short-term start to the day.

It’s hard to go past porridge for a good family breakfast – a cup of cooked rolled oats gives you about 4g of fibre , and the only sugar and salt is what you add. It's also cheap, so nursery has no excuse.

Parents: here's what to look for on your cereal box
Choose cereal with...
•More fibre: aim for more than 10g per 100g. More fibre is good for adults, but for children no more than 15g per 100g.
•Less sodium: aim for less than 400mg per 100g. Even better, choose a cereal with no added salt.
•Less sugar: aim for less than 15g sugar per 100g; for cereals with dried fruit, aim for less than 25g per 100g.
•Whole grains: these cereals are higher in vitamins and fibre.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now