Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I have finally lost the plot...

(8 Posts)
Tailtwister Thu 01-Nov-12 14:16:44

DS1 (4) is currently crying in his room and this is why. He's really into art stuff atm, but it's just getting out of control. Bits of paper all over the dining table, all of which are apparently of great significance. Pens all over the place, just a bloody mess. The situation is not made easier by his little brother who isn't content to draw on his own piece of paper, but has to be drawing on his brother's. It was getting intolerable, so...

I've just put every piece of paper, scraps of paper from the floor, old magazines with pieces cut out etc into the bin. I kept what he's currently working on and haven't binned any of his materials (pens etc). I feel awful he's so upset and it has been compounded by the fact I'm bloody knackered.

DH's Granny has been in hospital, discharged at short notice today and is diabetic. She's lovely, but has trouble with her memory and it's been a real run around to get things sorted for her (with the 2 children in tow). MIL is currently on a long awaited 5 week holiday abroad and the other 2 children are overseas too. DH is snowed under at work and can't do much. I'm gutted that I couldn't collect her from hospital today and had to ask a friend of hers to do it. It was just too much to manage the boys and get her and all her things safely home.

I think I just took it out on DS1 a bit and I feel awful about it:-(

VerityClinch Thu 01-Nov-12 14:21:17

DD (3) is the same. I have sixteen big cardboard boxes in the kitchen at the moment covered in scribble stickers Sellotape and post it notes none of which can be touched.

If you feel bad could you buy him some glittery stickers and a scrapbook? Contain the creativity!

WelshMaenad Thu 01-Nov-12 14:27:40

I feel his pain! My mum did this to me as a kid and I was traumatised. I have forgiven her now (just!).

Why don't you get him a big plastic storage box with a lid - a 'making' box. The deal is, he keeps all his craft stuff in there and he has to be able to clip the lid shut. Anything found elsewhere is fair game for bin. If the lid won't close, he has to go through it and get rid of some stuff till it will.

This is how mum managed my craft mania and it worked well for us.

If you're feeling bad a little shopping trip to home bargains for the box and a few new crafty things to go in it will probably cheer the little lad up a treat.

charlottehere Thu 01-Nov-12 14:33:54

I would and do do the same thing re craft stuff. There is only so much one can take before it makes us crabby. smile

Try not to be too hard on yourself, you have lots on and sound stessed out.

BeerTricksPott3r Thu 01-Nov-12 14:33:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tailtwister Thu 01-Nov-12 15:38:15

He's feeling better now. He does have a craft box, but has gone so crazy with unit lately it's just ended up everywhere.

I might take him to get some stickers to say sorry tomorrow. There' only so much stuff one house can hold though! I can't keep everything he makes until he moves out.

BeerTricksPott3r Thu 01-Nov-12 15:51:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

soorploom Thu 01-Nov-12 16:13:44

have a brew
we started with a" making" box and have progressed slowly over the past few years to a "making" room ie every cupboard etc has mess crammed in it
i am at one end of our kitchen table on the computer and am sharing the table with playmobil, lego, paints ,paper, crayons, glue........
can't remember the last time it was properly tidy
i just kind of shove it all up to one end when its teatime
oh and there's the ironing pile that occupies the chair at the end of the table too--sitting there like an unwanted guest

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now