Advanced search

to remind you Hurricane Sandy hit Haiti as well

(10 Posts)
kim147 Thu 01-Nov-12 13:34:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SoleSource Thu 01-Nov-12 13:35:24

and?

AmberLeaf Thu 01-Nov-12 13:38:02

I dont need reminding, but the media probably does.

I think you'll find people posting about the effect on USA as lots of people here will have links to the USA whereas not so many will to Haiti.

LAlady Thu 01-Nov-12 13:42:41

Agree with Amber leaf. As much as I feel awful about the situation in Haiti, my BIL, SIL, niece and nephew live in New Jersey. We anxiously watched the news and waited to hear from them. They are ok (no electricity for a week, but that's nothing compared to what some have suffered).

Cynner Thu 01-Nov-12 13:48:37

Kim147 I am certain then you have made a nice contribution to aid in relief then..

Birdsgottafly Thu 01-Nov-12 13:56:37

There are pictures being 'shared' on fb, of people trying to hold their houses together made of corrugated iron, in waist deep water.

So people are becoming aware, not only of the extent of the damage and what the after effects will be, but of the media reporting what they choose to and who they consider important enough to have their hardships, to be news worthy.

kim147 Thu 01-Nov-12 13:57:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Birdsgottafly Thu 01-Nov-12 13:58:13

Just to add Sandy hit, Cuba, Jamaica and the Dominican Republic, as well.

WileyRoadRunner Thu 01-Nov-12 14:01:13

It is more shocking though to report from America as you presume that they are more protected/ able to prepare from this kind of thing, even though it is a natural disaster.

It is also probably much easier for world media to get to America than Haiti.

So far, according to Kim147's OP more people have died in America as a result of Sandy. Just because they are "wealthier" does not mean their lives are worth any less or their families aren't just as devastated.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Thu 01-Nov-12 18:17:43

Cynner, fwiw, I have made a contribution to aid relief although I don't understand why the OP has to have done so to make a comment about the shockingly bad news coverage.

OP, YANBU.

Just look at the BBC news website for an example.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now