Talk

Advanced search

To think this (lovely) woman must be stark raving bonkers?

(31 Posts)
Durab Wed 31-Oct-12 22:09:38

She's mum of one of DS1's friends and she volunteered to take her 3 boys (one on whom has special needs which mean he doesn't go to mainstream school), plus my DS1 and another friend to a local theme park today. They went on public transport and were out from 10am til 8pm.....and I've just discovered she's 4 mths pregnant with number 4! Her DH did go too, but she will have been very much in charge.

DS1 was so pleased to be asked and it meant DS2 and I had a lovely day all to ourselves, but really, why would you put yourself through that at any time, let alone pregnant? Sounds like pure hell to me, but she says she had a lovely day.

I owe her big time don't I?

blackeyedsusan Wed 31-Oct-12 22:11:12

perhaps she is thinking you will owe her big time and she is planning to call in the debt when number 4 arives... grin

Everlong Wed 31-Oct-12 22:13:35

Legend smile

PinkFairyDust Wed 31-Oct-12 22:13:37

I wonder if its because no her elder boys wanted to go....but if they take. Friend they entertain each other and she can concentrate on other child?

But yes bear in mind when baby number 4 comes along!!!

5madthings Wed 31-Oct-12 22:14:00

some people do.just enjoy these things.

it is lovely if her and yes return the favour at some point smile

PinkFairyDust Wed 31-Oct-12 22:14:50

i wonder if is because *both her elder boys wanted to go..but if they take a friend

Sorry must check before posting!

SoleSource Wed 31-Oct-12 22:16:29

You seem to be amazed that she is so lovely and genorous. What that say about you. Check yourself in the mirror before YOU call a kind person bonkers. You did not deserve the gesture.

BeingBooyhoo Wed 31-Oct-12 22:17:22

for some people things like that are no great effort but for others it would be unthinkable. different people have different strengths and it sounds like hers are crowd control and people management grin she sounds great, remember to return the favour in a few months time wink

SherlockGnomes Wed 31-Oct-12 22:20:20

Jesus sale bit harsh! I think most people would balk at taking 5 kids + embryo to a theme park and OP is clearly extremely grateful.Get a grip.

SherlockGnomes Wed 31-Oct-12 22:21:00

sorry not sale - sole !!

Durab Wed 31-Oct-12 22:22:28

Oh dear it didn't take long for that to go wrong - Sole, I think you missed the twinkle in my eye when I used the word "bonkers".

FWIW, the entire neighbourhood, including her sons, spent most of the summer at my house, as we are fortunate enough to have plenty of space and a large garden, whereas she is very houseproud and doesn't like to have other children round to play. I do my bit, but really couldn't face the outing she organised. I am though extremely grateful that there are people like her around, I just wonder how they do it.

RyleDup Wed 31-Oct-12 22:23:33

She obviously felt she could handle it. I have a friend who is similar, I am in awe of her.

MsVestibule Wed 31-Oct-12 22:27:12

SoleSource seriously? There is no way the OP is being nasty about this woman!

BattlingFanjos Wed 31-Oct-12 22:34:09

My mum was always that mad crazy lady with loads of kids! If friends from school saw us out they'd ask if it was a childminding group lol! We loved it! She has me, my sister and brother but we were brought up with and around her friends' kids because she used to take us all off together through the holidays and we had loads of sleepovers!! Love that crazy lady!

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Wed 31-Oct-12 22:35:12

YANBU. Spa day voucher is the only way forward.

mamamibbo Wed 31-Oct-12 22:37:16

actually sole i think it says that op has done a good job with her children if her friend was willing to take all the children out

maddening Wed 31-Oct-12 22:37:55

There's nice bonkers and mean bonkers -think you read mean when really the op means nice in a jovial manner?

ChippingInLovesAutumn Wed 31-Oct-12 22:38:02

How old are the kids??

This only changes the degree of which I think she's bonkers grin

Durab Wed 31-Oct-12 22:39:44

one 13 yo, 3 11yos and the younger SN DS who I think is 8.

nailak Wed 31-Oct-12 22:43:41

my mum use to regularly take me and my bro with a friend or two each out to go to museums and stuff when we were in primary school

exexpat Wed 31-Oct-12 22:49:30

I've done similar - invited a friend of DS's along for a day trip to Disneyland which meant I was in sole charge of 3 children (aged 9, 7 & 3 at the time) instead of just my two (the 7yo & 3yo) just because it actually made my life easier: less bickering between DS & DD, and DS had someone to go on the rides with when DD was too small, and obviously I couldn't go on and leave DD alone. Could be similar considerations.

I would have thought with two adults, one could stick with the gaggle of 11-13yos, and the other could concentrate on the one with special needs.

procrastinor Wed 31-Oct-12 23:03:07

See I'm always impressed with women like that. The very thought of it fills me with dread. There's a woman at my work who has six kids and is so together and looks so calm. I am in awe.

sole I think the vast majority of us except you realised the op was saying it in a jokey way. No need to get all harrumphing.

SallyBeth Wed 31-Oct-12 23:57:20

Help

NewNames Thu 01-Nov-12 00:03:27

Some people just go with the flow I think and get on with things. Other people get super stressy. Good on this super mum!

WorraLiberty Thu 01-Nov-12 00:03:28

Sounds great...I'm pleased he had a fun time grin

But I don't get your amazement at two adults taking their 3 kids out for a day and asking a friend to come along?

It's really nice of them but I don't think there's any room to be amazed by something so...well 'normal'?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now