Talk

Advanced search

To cancel seeing friend and her Dc tomorrow

(33 Posts)
Inneedofbrandy Wed 31-Oct-12 20:08:21

My friend saw her other friend today and took other friends ds trick or treating. Her other friends ds had a stomach bug yesterday and his mum had it today.

I am sick phobic I hate it, even the thought of a stomach bug makes me feel sick and fills me with fear. Her dc seem to pick up every bug going and I do not want mine to catch it. I don't know If hand washing will be enough or am I being ridiculous as its not like her dc have caught it yet.

Inneedofbrandy Wed 31-Oct-12 20:16:24

What nobody's got an opinion?

Bigwheel Wed 31-Oct-12 20:17:46

I think you need help in getting over your sick phobia. Have you been to see your gp? That's my only opinion.

PixieHot Wed 31-Oct-12 20:17:58

I'd cancel - the recommendation is 48 hours for D and V, so there's no way I would willingly put my family at risk.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Wed 31-Oct-12 20:18:19

I'm in your camp. I'd want to give it at least 48 hours after the last episode of vomiting or diarrhoea before I visited (holds hand up to being a former emetophobe)

Gumby Wed 31-Oct-12 20:18:36

I think its a shame for your child to miss out

WileyRoadRunner Wed 31-Oct-12 20:18:40

I would cancel seeing them.

lisad123 Wed 31-Oct-12 20:19:03

I wouldn't go either, they say between 24-48 hours from last sickness in schools for good reasons

GhostofMammaTJ Wed 31-Oct-12 20:19:25

48 hours recommended, YANBU to give it a miss!!

DottyDot Wed 31-Oct-12 20:20:02

I'd cancel. No point risking it.

RyleDup Wed 31-Oct-12 20:20:11

No I wouldn't go, but then my dh has no immunity, so I have to minimise risks as much as I can.

Inneedofbrandy Wed 31-Oct-12 20:23:34

But it's not my friend and her FC who have it it's her friend and dc.

Am going to cancel and explain I just can't.

EndoplasmicReticulum Wed 31-Oct-12 20:24:42

I'd cancel. I'm not sick-phobic, but I don't like stomach bugs. Who does?

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Wed 31-Oct-12 20:25:42

Oh I see. No, in that situation I wouldn't cancel.

LadyInDisguise Wed 31-Oct-12 20:26:52

err.. no I wouldn't cancel. You have no idea if your friend has caught the bug or not.
If you refuse to go and see people because they might be ill, you will soon have no one left to see.

bedmonster Wed 31-Oct-12 20:30:26

If you are genuinely actually sick phobic, you wouldn't even consider it.

Inneedofbrandy Wed 31-Oct-12 20:39:32

Ok I'm not sick phobic but I cannot sit anywhere like the middle back seat of a middle of aisle in cinema or back of table in case I'm sick. I cannot be around anyone who has been sick/ even my children ( although I can clear it up weirdly enough) I can't ever get to drunk in case I'm sick and I can't be around people that are to drunk in case they are. I did speak to a dr about it and he gave me relaxation techniques that don't do anything.

Maybe I'm not quite sick phobic enough for you bed monster but to me it's a big deal.

EverybodysSpookyEyed Wed 31-Oct-12 20:44:26

No opinion on your question but

i thought i was the only one to only sit in aisle seats! Nice to find someone else!

Inneedofbrandy Wed 31-Oct-12 20:51:13

Well we couldn't ever go to the cinema then everybody!

EverybodysSpookyEyed Wed 31-Oct-12 20:53:34

we'd have to sit one in front of the other!

I almost had a panic attack at ds' school play because i felt trapped!

Bumdrop Wed 31-Oct-12 20:55:31

You need cbt for vomit phobia
Check out david veale website he is the leading expert for vomit phobia
Go to your gp and request a referrel for cbt treatment.
Avoiding people he may get ill is a step too far,
The phobia is effecting your life, time to look at that i think,
Best wishes

Inneedofbrandy Wed 31-Oct-12 20:58:23

Yes and annoy everyone passing the popcorn back and forth!

Urgh that sounds like my worst nightmare, I would be sat there praying that I didn't puke in front of all the other parents. I even take a carrier bag with me everywhere although I've neer needed it as ironically I very very rarely get ill.

EverybodysSpookyEyed Wed 31-Oct-12 21:03:21

i never go to dinner before the theatre/cinema - always after

although i don't have a vomit phobia. i think i am a bit claustraphobic

Anyway, in your case I would call your friend in the morning and find out how they are. i'm sure it will be fine!

Inneedofbrandy Wed 31-Oct-12 21:06:52

I might suggest out somewhere so there not all in close contact, and not round her house, and be really on the ball with hand washing ect. Should be fine,

Inneedofbrandy Wed 31-Oct-12 21:07:38

Thank you bum drop il check the website out smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now