Talk

Advanced search

to throttle dh??

(19 Posts)
Aspiemum2 Wed 31-Oct-12 19:58:01

Just overheard him chatting with dc's about my Christmas present and distinctly heard "you know what mum does need, a new ironing board!"

Would I be unreasonable to throttle him or just accept I was caught eavesdropping?!

FreudianLisp Wed 31-Oct-12 19:58:48

YANBU.

MrsRajeshKoothrappali Wed 31-Oct-12 19:59:50

Ooooooo, that's bad!

Reminds me of Adrian Mole buying his mum an egg timer every year......!!

coppertop Wed 31-Oct-12 20:00:31

YANBU.

For revenge I would steer the DCs towards buying dh an iron for Christmas.

<evil>

mutny Wed 31-Oct-12 20:00:58

YANBU.

Did he know you were listening? DH is really rubbish at buying gifts, but even that would be a new low for him.

and I mean rubbish. I once got a concrete tortoise garden ornament. I neither like tortoises (torti?) nor gardening.

AdoraBell Wed 31-Oct-12 20:01:32

YANBU that is something for the house, not a personal present for an individual person. I would be very much not impressed (not that OH has to impress me with gifts).

Bogeyface Wed 31-Oct-12 20:02:50

There would be one hell of a row based on the assumption that the ironing is my job! ExH once let slip that he asked his dad to buy me a lawn mower for my birthday as we needed a new one!

I had a quiet word with his mum, who was disgusted at the uselessness of her son and husband and I was given a bottle of Chanel No 5, which was a lovely surprise!

Aspiemum2 Wed 31-Oct-12 20:03:08

I believe he might have guessed I was listening as he quickly corrected to "I mean the house needs a new ironing board". Not really any better!

maddening Wed 31-Oct-12 20:07:28

Buy him some lovely ladies perfume - whichever one you're running out of.

cleeve6 Wed 31-Oct-12 20:08:32

Are you sure he didn't know you were listening in? This is the sort of thing my DH might say to make the DCs think they were all having a big 'secret joke' but it would never be serious. Although he did once buy me a glossy, expensive book on the history of England - I am Scottish confused. Maybe you should get to work on leaving magazines open at the right adverts or tell the DCs 'in secret' what you would REALLY like for Christmas.

StuntGirl Wed 31-Oct-12 20:09:23

Hmm. Maybe chime in with the suggestion about getting him a new iron to go with it! Rotten bugger. If my partner did that to me I'd be distinctly unimpressed!

StuntGirl Wed 31-Oct-12 20:10:11

Actually maddening's suggestion wins!

Aspiemum2 Wed 31-Oct-12 20:10:53

It's ok, dc's are better trained than dh as testified by ds shock reply of "you can't get something like that for a present!" Good boy wink

mutny Wed 31-Oct-12 20:13:27

Yay for your ds.

BOO for dh, he guessed you were listening too late. I thought maybe he knew you were listening and thats why he suggested it. Rather than an actual present then he was trying dig himself out of.

KeemaNaanAndCurryOn Wed 31-Oct-12 20:14:20

Buy him an ironing board. Gift wrap it.

MrsGhastlyCrumb Wed 31-Oct-12 20:14:39

My father did actually buy my mum an iron one year. He never made that mistake again... wink

marshmallowpies Wed 31-Oct-12 20:18:33

I bought my mum an iron for her birthday, as she had a very heavyweight one from the 70's that took hours to heat up. I knew she'd never replace it until it absolutely finally broke down...so I decided to jump the gun and buy her one myself. She was pleased with it...I think! blush

Aspiemum2 Wed 31-Oct-12 20:19:38

I'm sure it will be fine, I normally get a bottle of my favourite perfume and some pj's which is perfect.
He does me a stocking too, which is always totally random!

maras2 Wed 31-Oct-12 20:19:46

The Maras household ironing board was a wedding present in 1975.Still functional < apparently > .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now