Talk

Advanced search

to go to NY next week?

(13 Posts)
urbanproserpine Wed 31-Oct-12 15:30:45

Long booked and anticipated first few days away with DCs after six years.

GPs and Nanny organised to stay especially. We have been trying to organise this for years.

Tickets booked via air miles that expire the day after we go (so can't change flight to later). No way to claim on insurance as technically haven't 'paid' anything. Flights won't be cancelled anyway.

Spiderman tickets booked, hotel assumed without power as in meatpacking district and I can't get through. (I can cancel that hotel without losing money and book another further up town).

I really want to go, if we stay in centre so we can walk anywhere? I am thinking if museums and theatres and restaurants open then it should be OK.

AIBU?

ajandjjmum Wed 31-Oct-12 15:32:53

Go and change hotels! Americans are pretty organised, so I'm sure they'll get things up and running as quickly as possible. When next week - early or late?

Tee2072 Wed 31-Oct-12 15:34:43

Go. By next week, except maybe for some low lying areas, NY will pretty much be back to normal.

urbanproserpine Wed 31-Oct-12 15:34:59

Tuesday. yes, election night!

Whistlingwaves Wed 31-Oct-12 15:37:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

urbanproserpine Wed 31-Oct-12 15:40:53

all the NYers on tripadvisor are a bit doom and gloom, and generally saying they are all having a hard time and 'don't clog up our public transport - its difficult enough to get around' - so now I feel a bit guilty, but I live in central London, and if we had problems like that I can imagine tourists would still be welcome....

Tee2072 Wed 31-Oct-12 15:45:22

Well, the subways are one of the low lying areas. But I still think you should go.

How else are the New Yorkers going to pay for the clean up?

grin

urbanproserpine Wed 31-Oct-12 15:48:41

That's what I thought. tee2072 - I'm not expecting it to be sparkling, I don't mind it being a work in progress.

halloweeneyqueeney Wed 31-Oct-12 15:49:36

I imagine a lot of places will be very glad of your buisness as they try to get back on their feet! I'd go

EuroShagmore Wed 31-Oct-12 15:55:17

Go. I reckon things will be pretty much back to normal next week.

newgirl Wed 31-Oct-12 16:00:55

I think lots of the airlines are offering free flight rearrangements as there is a massive backlog of flights - are you sure your flight is still scheduled? I have a friend out there at the mo and doesnt know when she is getting back.

urbanproserpine Wed 31-Oct-12 16:05:35

BA are flying out to Newark now, so by Tuesday should be OK

Tee2072 Wed 31-Oct-12 16:08:30

The only major airport that is still 100% closed is La Guardia, which doesn't surprise me as it's pretty much at sea level.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now