Talk

Advanced search

... to think that kids wellies should last more than a few months

(16 Posts)
frazzledmumoftwo Wed 31-Oct-12 12:00:03

I would say we were fairly average in how much we use wellies for muddy walks and splashing in puddles. Yet they always seem to wear out (around where the foot flexes when you step on your toes).

We have just been for a beach walk and both children ended up with wet feet ... DH assumed they had been silly and got water over the top of the wellies, but a bit of DIY research at home in the kitchen sink shows clearly that if you fill them with water they leak out of holes already, and were only bought in June. I had hoped they would last until they needed the next size up.

The previous two pairs did exactly the same, so we tried different makes and different styles this time, but exactly the same. So far (last 12 months) we have used M&S, Sainsbury's and Mothercare.

AIBU to think they should last a bit longer?

And regardless of whether IABU or not, does anyone have any recommendations for boots that won't do this? If I tried Clarks (which are a little more expensive), do you think they would be better, or would they at least be covered by their guarantee if they broke before they were outgrown? Of is the only solution something a lot more expensive (Hunters, Aigles or whatever?)

Any advice very welcome .... I like our occasional beach walks and muddy puddles!

aldiwhore Wed 31-Oct-12 12:01:02

I think supermarket and M&S wellies are for very ocassional use only. Wellies are something I invest in for the kids, so I spend a little more, and by sizes too big.

YANBU though.

Ithinkitsjustme Wed 31-Oct-12 12:05:24

YANBU but I have no advice with regards to hard wearing boots, obviously I odn't take my kids out walking in the rain enough as mine get passed on down the ranks! grin

noisytoys Wed 31-Oct-12 12:08:31

Millets sell good long lasting wellies for about £15 a pair

Indith Wed 31-Oct-12 12:08:32

I find the matt ones with patterns etc crack easily. The cheapy ones that are just the shiny rubber don't. I've taken them back before though if only round 3 months old and had them replaced no problem even in cheapy shoe zone or something.

TinyDancingHoofer Wed 31-Oct-12 12:22:02

I'd go for proper wellies, rather than high street one, which are generally a bit crap. Not hunters though, very good for a three day festival but not good if you are working outdoors day in day out. Not made like they used to be!

RillaBlythe Wed 31-Oct-12 12:23:00

My DD's Clarks wellies wore out in 6 months (the soles were letting in water). I was pissed off about that, bought a pair of Hunters which are still going strong 8 months in. Got them barely worn off Ebay for about £5.

tattychicken Wed 31-Oct-12 12:23:35

Supermarket wellies are awful, have learnt from experience. Now buy boring plain green or black Dunlop. No leaks!

frazzledmumoftwo Wed 31-Oct-12 14:53:58

The comment (from aldi) about buying more technical wellies is probably where we need to head .... we actually always buy really good technical waterproofs for them (which last great for both children, then get handed on to younger cousins), so I probably need to try that now.

Do Dunlops really only come in green or black? Bright red or bright blue would be easier to "sell" to the children, even if they are just plain and not patterned. Will try Millets next time I am near one.

Interesting to hear that Clarks boots leaked after a while as well .... I had assumed they might be worth a go.

tattychicken Thu 01-Nov-12 20:16:58

Actually I'm talking crap. DS' latest wellies are Dunlop's and they are blue with red soles... With a cartoon cat logo on the side. Pretty cool and crazy.

pongysticks Thu 01-Nov-12 20:24:41

I'm with the hunters for both my DS, I really am not a fan of them for myself but they have lasted years - I bought a pair in size 12 for DS1 he wore them for a year and we are out daily on walks, and then kept them for another year and now DS2 is in them and we are 8 months in!

best thing is you can wear all colours boy or girl, you can buy big socks if you buy a size up and the boys love them too.

The last pair I've bought from Ebay or my eldest and we are a few months in with them all looking fine.

Worth the extra money.

RubberBullets Thu 01-Nov-12 20:31:19

Don't get Hunters or Joules, they are crap

ConstantCraving Thu 01-Nov-12 20:49:14

I've had two pairs of wellies for DD in the last 6 months - 1st ones from brantano for £13 and then Sainsbury's for £10, which i don't think is cheap considering she's only 3yrs old! Both split on the seams. Will be going for old style rubber ones next.

Sirzy Thu 01-Nov-12 20:51:55

DS has a pair from next and he wears them pretty much daily and never had a problem.

His pair before were good enough to hand down to his cousin when he outgrew them

Alitoomanykids Thu 01-Nov-12 20:54:41

Dunlop - plain black wellies were great for my son. My dd has managed to wear out all her wellies whether Clarks, supermarket or those fancy decorated ones that cost a fortune. She will be getting the dunlops when her feet grow a bit. Btw I love my Hunter wellies!

PrettyPrinceofDarkness Thu 01-Nov-12 21:14:37

I've got Dear Zoo wellies from Sainsbury's for my DS. I've noticed wear on the heals already which is disappointing as he's not quite 18 months yet and only just really started walking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now