Talk

Advanced search

In wanting to postpone MIL visit when DC are ill?

(32 Posts)
Redwhine Wed 31-Oct-12 09:31:40

MIL is visiting tomorrow. Last night one DC was sick and I was up with him in the night. Today other DC has been sick three times already. I know the way these things tend to go... I usually get it day two/ three and we have a night of no sleep, constantly rotating beds, vomity sheets etc! All great fun and par for the course with two little ones. But I don't want to be dealing with a guest on top of it.

She doesn't work, so could come any other time.

She has seen the children in the last few weeks.

She has never even changed a nappy, so can't really see her being helpful with d and v and the mess that goes with it.

I want to reschedule. DH says its up to her if she wants to come or not. AIBU?

SecretCervix Wed 31-Oct-12 09:33:17

Rearrange.

halcyondays Wed 31-Oct-12 09:33:31

No of course, yanbu. But she probably won't want to come anyway if she knows your dc have a bug. Just phone and say they are sick and you'll have to rearrange.

CailinDana Wed 31-Oct-12 09:33:43

Reschedule.

WelshMaenad Wed 31-Oct-12 09:34:21

YANBU? I wouldn't want guests when dealing with sick kids, it's exhausting enough.

Just say no.

mummywithnosleep Wed 31-Oct-12 09:34:38

rearrange and tell your dp to stop being so silly

EndoplasmicReticulum Wed 31-Oct-12 09:34:53

If I was MIL I would not want to come! Lay it on thick about how infectious these things are, and if she's got any sense she'll stay away.

Sparklingbroomstick Wed 31-Oct-12 09:35:12

YANBU. Tell her she is not visiting tomorrow as she won't want to catch it above all else. You give her a ring when she can come.

Your DH is wrong. Why would she want to visit if the DC have D&V? Or is he too scared to tell her not too? wink

Sparklingbroomstick Wed 31-Oct-12 09:35:40

*not to. Even.

Redwhine Wed 31-Oct-12 09:36:19

Have phoned and she said merrily 'not to worry I never seem to pick these things up!'

Sparklingbroomstick Wed 31-Oct-12 09:37:16

Nooooooooo!!!!!

EndoplasmicReticulum Wed 31-Oct-12 09:38:25

Is it wrong of me to hope she catches D+V? Silly woman. Is she intending to stay overnight?

Redwhine Wed 31-Oct-12 09:38:32

He is rubbish at saying no to her. She once wanted to visit the day I was scheduled to get out of hospital after a serious operation, when pregnant.

Redwhine Wed 31-Oct-12 09:39:29

Endo... That thought did cross my mind! She is due to stay the night, another issue as it is useful to have a spare bed when the children are sick.

mummywithnosleep Wed 31-Oct-12 09:44:12

no is a complet sentance.

Just say sorry, you can´t come the kids are sick and I need the spare bed.

Oh, got to go DCx is being sick again.

hang the phone up.

Simples

cansu Wed 31-Oct-12 09:45:13

I would greet her. Here fully with a pile of washing and say how lovely that you wanted to come and help out with everyone being sick. I am feeling a bit unwell myself so I am off to bed now....

ByTheWay1 Wed 31-Oct-12 09:48:00

cansu - I LOVE that! grin

I would just say no though....

Redwhine Wed 31-Oct-12 09:50:23

Already rowed with DH who says if she doesn't mind risking it that's up to her. He refuses to say not to come. Looks like Cansu's solution is the one to go for...

EndoplasmicReticulum Wed 31-Oct-12 09:52:54

I like cansu's idea. I'm now wishing D+V on your husband as well.

flyoverthegoldenhill Wed 31-Oct-12 09:55:28

canso is right - take a bucket to your room and a tin of veg soup - make lots of noise, tell her to let you sleep, then spend the day on here. If she tries to bother you hand her the bucket with soup in smile

Redwhine Wed 31-Oct-12 09:57:10

Thanks mumsnetters... My first unanimous YANBU... Now to hunt out some vegetable soup...

Redwhine Wed 31-Oct-12 09:57:42

Thanks mumsnetters... My first unanimous YANBU... Now to hunt out some vegetable soup...

MrsHoarder Wed 31-Oct-12 09:59:51

I'd be happy for MIL to come, she'd be washing sheets and runing baths for me to keep DS clean. Maybe you should just give your MIL instructions to that effect and if anyone questions just say "I thought you were coming to help with the sick DCs". And presumably she will entertain when you get it.

MrsHoarder Wed 31-Oct-12 10:00:27

missed cansu's post!

lovebunny Wed 31-Oct-12 10:01:37

you should be able to say no when a visit doesn't suit you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now