Talk

Advanced search

To think the staff in tesco shouldnt be wearing frigging scary clown masks and outfits and scaring kids?

(24 Posts)
OHforDUCKScake Wed 31-Oct-12 09:23:56

Totally prepared to be told IABU because quite frankly, Im an absolute wuss.

But the staff in Tesco were dressed up this morning, most looked great, a witch, a ghost, a huge giant human pumpkin. But one of the staff was wearing a clown outfit, with a nasty clown mask with a big smile and spikey teeth. My 5 year old just laughed it off but my 17 month old was scared and panicked. The guy leaned in towards the baby as he went passed, I was pissed off. He's a fucking baby, why would he try and freaka baby out? I told him to stop, he just stood there and kept staring at him. I said "He's a baby. You're scaring a baby." DS2 was staring transfixed and started to bottom lip wibble and cried the rest of the shopping trip.

Actually, its pissing me off again writing it down.

MrsKeithRichards Wed 31-Oct-12 09:26:13

Why didn't you just distract your baby and keep walking?

Thisisaeuphemism Wed 31-Oct-12 09:26:56

This is all part of the cunning Tesco master-plan. They take over whole communities, destroying all the local shops, and then, when they've got us trapped, they scare the be-jeesus out of us.

They ABU

WhenShallWeThreeMeetAgain Wed 31-Oct-12 09:41:33

It's Hallowe'en. If you don't like it then stay indoors with the curtains closed FFS.

OHforDUCKScake Wed 31-Oct-12 09:41:43

My child had already seen it before I had. I did indeed zip down the next aisle when he didnt stop. My arguement is, my child should be sble to be taken into tesco without an adult frightening him.

Adversecamber Wed 31-Oct-12 09:42:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OHforDUCKScake Wed 31-Oct-12 09:42:57

Fair enough.

I thought Id be told I was BU.

MrsKeithRichards Wed 31-Oct-12 09:59:00

So he actually followed you?

lovebunny Wed 31-Oct-12 10:00:40

quite right. tesco staff should not do that. nor should anyone else.

OHforDUCKScake Wed 31-Oct-12 10:04:33

No he didnt follow us.
I left the kids in the trolley at the end of the aisle, went a 2-3 foot steps down an aisle grabbed a bread roll and whenI turned round saw the clown approaching the kids to walk by (he was working). Baby stared wide eyed, the man leaned in at the baby as he passed, baby started to bottom lip wibble, I covered his eyes, said he's a baby. You're scaring a baby. He stood there. I took my hand off the babys eyes to push the trolley down the next aisle to get him out of site, he saw he clown againand started crying.

Bit long winded, that.

Everlong Wed 31-Oct-12 10:06:03

I saw this the other night in my tesco.

Guy on the checkout dressed as zombie, mum and small boy aged about 3 paying for food. The little boy was crying. Mum didn't say much, I think she just wanted to get out, but the man was trying to jolly him along but he wasn't having any of it.

I did feel sorry for the little boy and wondered what he would think of it all.

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Wed 31-Oct-12 10:08:14

Thing is, it's just what your individual toddler is like. This morning my 21mo has been scaring the crap out of his 9yo brother (who WOULD have done the bottom lip wobble at the scary man in Tesco at 17mo) by tapping him on the arm with a (plastic) severed arm.

And having hysterics when his 9yo brother squeals in fright.

He has also been chasing my crawling Frankenstein hand around the front room.

So while your toddler was upset by it, mine would have found it hilarious. How is the member of staff meant to know how your toddler will react?

Yes, if it had been my DS2 at that age, he would have been very frightened. But my DS3 would have found it hilarious.

My DS3 is more scared of Santa than Halloween costumes. hmm

He doesn't like the beard...

So while it is unfortunate that your toddler was upset, not all will be, and done will just see it as a bit of fun.

So I don't think the staff WBU in general, they're having a laugh, but if the staff member followed you when your baby was visibly upset, THEN that member if staff in particular WBU.

Cabrinha Wed 31-Oct-12 10:15:02

I think you're a bit unreasonable, because most kids will love the dressing up - and it raises a smile for adults too.
I've seen kids scared of Santa and Pudsey Bear too!

However, what I think should happen, is Tesco staff should be briefed on some basics... If someone looks nervous, steer clear. Only approach a child who is looking amused or interested - and next to their parent. Don't approach any child in a baby seat /toddler seat unless you've made eye contact with the parent first.

MrsKeithRichards Wed 31-Oct-12 10:17:02

I used to be shit sacred of Santa!!

LeeCoakley Wed 31-Oct-12 10:17:57

Forget Tesco - I was scared out of my wits by dressed-up staff at Mothercare at the weekend. They had got into the Halloween spirit early and were enjoying themselves immensely! grin

aldiwhore Wed 31-Oct-12 10:19:11

I do think it's very unreasonable to deliberately scare a smaller child! Clowns freak me out, but it's Halloween and I'm a grown up!

YABU for being in Tesco, and to expect staff not to dress up. YANBU to expect them not to put their face in an obviously scared/distressed younger tot.

poozlepants Wed 31-Oct-12 10:25:31

At the huge soft play place we go to all the teenagers who work there at the weekend were wearing what can only be described as the whorehouse horror look. All the Dad's didn't (or did) know where to look.
DS (4) took one look at one in an ill fitting bustier and said "I like that ladies bosoms". He is a teeny bit obsessed with bosoms at the moment.

BettyandDon Wed 31-Oct-12 10:33:29

YANBU.

We went to a diner for a relatively special lunch last year when DD was just over 1. The staff were dressed in full halloween face gear and costumes. DD was absolutely terrified to the point that she could not stay in the restaurant. I ate my meal while DH took her outside then we swapped. Considering how little we go out to eat we were gutted!

I mentioned this to my mum and she rekons there is a particular age at which children can understand whether something is fake or real. It would be bloody scary if your brain thought that a halloween person was a real monster or something !

ZombieSplodger Wed 31-Oct-12 10:35:07

YANBU. I hate those clown masks. And people scaring children.

OHforDUCKScake Wed 31-Oct-12 10:42:47

aldi "YABU for being in Tesco and expecting staff not to dress up."

Please see my OP "...the staff in tesco dressed up today. Most looked great, a witch, a ghost, a giant human pumpkin."

ZombieSplodger Wed 31-Oct-12 12:10:25

I would have liked to have seen a giant human pumpkin.

threesocksonathreeleggedwitch Wed 31-Oct-12 12:12:04

yabu
unless you tell all the small kids that I saw in a supermarket this morning.
lots of fake blood

Fakebook Wed 31-Oct-12 12:16:51

I covered his eyes, said he's a baby. You're scaring a baby.

grin grin grin

<hands the op a thick rubber grip>

HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE!

pregnantpause Wed 31-Oct-12 12:45:43

Yanbu- I've had to avoid my spar for three weeks as there's hallowe'en stuff everywhere and my 18 month old is terrified. First time we went in she attempted to claw her way out of her pram, scratching her face and arms screaming 'mammy monsters, monsters!'
I was quite scared of her reaction tbh. She is a scardy baby though, we are not going anywhere today, she's already had a cry at a mildly Halloween themed episode of bubble guppies. a jack in the box would do the poor child in, nevermind a sinister clown in Tesco!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now