Talk

Advanced search

To not want ten weeks of this?

(21 Posts)
WelshMaenad Wed 31-Oct-12 08:46:27

To set the scene, our house is a terrace on a mountainside. There are houses along the right hand side of the street, up until our left hand neighbour the other side features the back walls of the street in front. From neighbour on our front gardens are across the street.

During the summer floods, the last back wall of the back garden bordering onto neighbours garden was knocked down. There has been insurance wrangling and their garden reflooded a few weeks ago, building work to repair the road and rebuild the wall has started this week and they have placed a skip pretty much underneath my bedroom window.

We were awoken at 8am - I am aware this isn't mega early but DH is off this week and we have both been ill so are trying to catch up on some sleep - by them tossing rubble into the skip, it is ridiculously loud. I traipsed downstairs and politely enquirer if this was a one off as it was disruptive, to be rudely told it would be every day for ten weeks and I would just have to put up with it.

I'm about to start a job working nights and will be crawling into bed at 6.30am but it looks like opportunities for sleep are going to be limited!! If this does carry on, what the hell can I do? I really don't think they NEED to do it do loudly, or at that hour! Once the skip starts to fill, will it be less noisy?

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Wed 31-Oct-12 08:48:16

Sounds horrible but I don't think there's anything you can do. Can you sleep in a different bedroom?

altinkum Wed 31-Oct-12 08:48:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CailinDana Wed 31-Oct-12 08:48:33

I can understand your annoyance, but 8am isn't particularly early and yes, some building work is unavoidably noisy. It can't really be helped, and they're not doing it to annoy you. Buy earplugs.

honeytea Wed 31-Oct-12 08:48:34

I think YABU, 8 is a normal time to start building work. Have you tried ear plugs?

GhostofMammaTJ Wed 31-Oct-12 08:49:31

Buy some soft earplugs from the chemist. Also have some noise of your own to help block out outside noise.

I have worked nights for years and have the TV on in my bedroom to drown out the selfish bastard evil neighbours noise.

WelshMaenad Wed 31-Oct-12 09:01:23

I am going earplug shopping later. No option for another bedroom, we only have two and both face the front. The kids got woken up same mad we did so the noise in their room must be as bad.

halcyondays Wed 31-Oct-12 09:26:42

Yanbu. 8a.m is a bit early for loud tossing of rubble into skips.

cansu Wed 31-Oct-12 09:51:16

I think you are going to have to put up with it as 8 is probably about normal time for starting work. Maybe they feel you are not being very sympathetic to the problems and expense of all the flooding issues they are having? You could perhaps ask if the skip can be put a bit further away from your bedroom but otherwise you will have to suck it up.

lovebunny Wed 31-Oct-12 10:05:26

tough. builders start work at 8 am - or before.

WelshMaenad Wed 31-Oct-12 10:43:47

Why would the builders require sympathy? It was them I spoke to.

I'm very sympathetic towards my neighbours and I'm really angry they've had to wait this long for work to be done. I just don't see how that means I have to be understanding about rock being flung into a skip from dix feet away when it's quite feasible they could do it more quietly, or make a pile and transfer it into the skip later on.

EuroShagmore Wed 31-Oct-12 10:48:14

I think an 8am start is reasonable.

redexpat Wed 31-Oct-12 10:50:00

I recommend superdrug's own ear plugs.

I know it's tough when you are exhausted but try and remember that they are not doing it to spite you in your sleep deprived state. Can you and DH goto bed earlier to catch up on sleep?

ZillionChocolate Wed 31-Oct-12 10:50:58

WelshMaenad I really rate bioears ear plugs. You can sometimes get them in branches of boots.

http://www.boots.com/en/BioEars-Soft-Silicone-Earplugs-3-pairs_39424/

TinyDancingHoofer Wed 31-Oct-12 11:21:31

Can you sleep with the radio on? Continuous background noise might be better than lots of thuds.

Love that you live on a mountainside and not a hill. Are there any goats? smile

SoleSource Wed 31-Oct-12 11:38:18

Yabu

WelshMaenad Wed 31-Oct-12 12:35:41

No goats, but frequently herds of sheep trotting up the road!

diddl Wed 31-Oct-12 12:39:16

I really don´t think that 8 is early at all tbh.

Most people with a job/kids would be up by then.

It´s not their fault that you are about to work nights either.

Is there anywhere else you could sleep?

Ithinkitsjustme Wed 31-Oct-12 14:02:09

YANBU to wish that they weren't doing the work while you are trying to sleep but unfortunately if you will be working nights I don;t think you have a choice. Even if they were to refrain from starting until 9 it's not really going to help you is it? The only option is to see if there is anywhere else they could put the skip or find somewhere else to sleep while the work is going on. I feel for you.

ClippedPhoenix Wed 31-Oct-12 14:11:24

8.00am is the allowed time to start building works.

I'm sure it is annoying but it's just one of those things OP.

However, (I worked for a large building company for many years) you can have a word to see what could be done as companies really don't want to upset other neighbours, it's bad for business.

quoteunquote Wed 31-Oct-12 14:12:13

I have to be understanding about rock being flung into a skip from dix feet away when it's quite feasible they could do it more quietly, or make a pile and transfer it into the skip later on.

they are not going to move it twice, it's a lot of work moving rock, doing it twice is very costly,

ear plugs won't keep skip filling noises out, rock against metal is noisy,

Have they placed the skip as close to the work as possible?

If where I work and live, we need to put a skip on the road, we need permission from the local council, is that the case where you live?

I would for bit where you are going to working nights see if you can borrow someone spare room, as it will be very hard to sleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now