Talk

Advanced search

to compare reports of the 39 people killed in New York...

(20 Posts)
Sallyingforth Tue 30-Oct-12 23:05:50

with this quote from Wikipedia...

Each year in Bangladesh about 26,000 km2, (around 18%) of the country is flooded, killing over 5,000 people and destroying 7 million homes.

Vix07 Tue 30-Oct-12 23:09:31

Yes but that way madness lies.. Don't remember who said 'the death of one is a tragedy but of a million, just a statistic'

Mind you I had a complete meltdown at the Menin Gate in Ypres so I know where you are coming from.

thebody Tue 30-Oct-12 23:11:59

All of these stats have families grieving behind them.

One life or one thousand lives, Tis the same to the families but of course your point is valid.

CuriousMama Tue 30-Oct-12 23:14:28

No you're not unreasonable at all. I think what's happening in NY is horrendous but also know what else is going on. Well I know some of it seen as the media doesn't follow these other stories as in depth.

StuntGirl Tue 30-Oct-12 23:22:28

I did wonder about the way the media reported the storm in Haiti and in America. It's dreadfully sad that anyone has died at all but as bad as it is America they have the infrastructure and money to cope with it mostly, whereas poorer places don't.

SoleSource Wed 31-Oct-12 02:32:51

And?

Ilovesunflowers Wed 31-Oct-12 07:42:37

I can see where you are coming from but the news tends to focus on unusual events, not necessararily annual events. An utter tragedy for Bangledesh but also an utter tragedy for New York.

I think anything to happen in New York after 9/11 tends to be massive news. It is also very unusual for something of this magnitude to hit NY.

With it coming into the peak tourist season in the city I can imagine there are many people with family and friends visiting NY who are probably glued to the TV and news. I have a friend who lives there but luckily she is on holidays in Vegas at the moment.

I also think the BBC are probably glad to take the heat from JS and onto something new (but that's the cynical me talking).

I don't think they are deliberately ignoring the floods of Bangledesh but they are part of their annual weather so therefore not as immediately interesting to a lot of people. I know I have been glued to the TV coverage of NY because I know the landmarks and find it facinating to see the images. I also want to visit next year so I am watching to see whether the clean up with take a long, long time (selfish I know).

As for Haiti I think the coverage was just as much as NY.

forevergreek Wed 31-Oct-12 07:44:37

They have also said sandy killed 69 I think in Cuba but haven't seen anything else now

ZombTEE Wed 31-Oct-12 07:45:46

hmm

So their deaths count less because there were only 39 of them and it made the international news? Oh and happened in a 'First World' location.

YABU

Honestly, if it happens every year in Bangladesh, it's not news.

Morloth Wed 31-Oct-12 07:48:23

It isn't a competition.

Ilovesunflowers Wed 31-Oct-12 07:50:49

Who said their deaths count less? It is news because it is an UNUSUAL event. it is not unusual in Bangledesh (tragic but not unusual). That automatically makes it more interesting for people. If you are concerned about this bloody well get in touch with the TV stations not friggin mumsnet folks who can't do anything about it.

Fakebook Wed 31-Oct-12 07:51:00

Yanbu. The people who control the media choose the stories. The world won't care about a poor country getting flooded, but a rich superpower being hit by a natural disaster sells newspapers and gets Internet hits. Sad but true.

Ilovesunflowers Wed 31-Oct-12 07:51:19

Well said Morloth. I completely agree.

MrsWolowitz Wed 31-Oct-12 07:51:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sallyingforth Wed 31-Oct-12 09:59:57

Thanks for all the comments.

No I'm not suggesting that Mrs M.
I just think it's so sad that thousands of people dying are ignored because it happens often and therefore isn't news.

The death toll in the USA was low because they could all get in cars or buses and leave until it's over. People in Bangladesh and similar places just have to stand there and drown.

aldiwhore Wed 31-Oct-12 10:51:52

YANBU to wishing that those thousands of annual deaths were reported about more.

YABU to expect that 40 dead isn't newsworthy.

There is always an angry outcome when you compare. Equally you could ask the question 'why is it happening EVERY year?' - That certainly needs to be tackled. A huge population living on a flood plain is an important issue to resolve.

The US deaths were probably more newsworthy because it was an extraordinary event... if it happened every year, after a while it would just become an annual statistic.

But yes, if we're comparing an annual storm in a first world country with an annual storm in a developing one, then the former have the option to move.

YABU only for the fact that you're comparing incomparible events. YANBU to be angry at the fate of the poor.

EasilyBored Wed 31-Oct-12 10:58:39

I saw someone interviewed on the news, who said they felt it was worse that Katrina. That left me a bit confused. I imagine the government will be pouring billions of $ into getting things sorted, and it wont be long til it's all dealt with.

People have still lost their homes though, and their friends and family members. I think that aspect is the important one to remember - regardless of where a disaster has happened.

Sallyingforth Wed 31-Oct-12 11:03:11

YABU to expect that 40 dead isn't newsworthy

Yes aldiwhore I would BU if I said that but atually I didn't!

<signs off now as I'm about to go down to Aldi to get some of those delicious unhealthy flapjacks they have by the till>

aldiwhore Wed 31-Oct-12 11:04:16

No you didn't, therefore not being U... those flapjacks are gorgeous.

LunaticFringe Wed 31-Oct-12 11:05:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now