Talk

Advanced search

Scary dog in garden - wwyd?

(12 Posts)
Shagmundfreud Tue 30-Oct-12 22:04:01

An hour ago DD runs in shouting, 'There's a staffy in the garden!'. The back garden that we thought was secure (terraced house, back garden fenced on all sides. No back access).

Sure enough, there it is, jumping up and down outside the patio doors barking. And it looks like this: here

Now I consider myself quite 'doggy' person - I like them, am not afraid (usually) but this dog's body language warned me off. It was very nervous, and you could see its muscles were tense. I told the kids to keep our soft as shite labrador inside and phoned the police - the non-emergency number.

They told me they'd be out within the hour. I went back to the kitchen and looked at the dog again, thought better of going out and trying to make friends with it. DD suddenly remembers that the house 3 doors down have a dog and she thought she had heard the woman call for it so I went down to the house and told them I thought their dog was in my garden, and they came around and fetched it back. The dog was VERY strong and as the man left he was clearly struggling to control it. The man said that they'd put the dog in back in 'the cage' and apologised. I suspect the dog is a guard dog and not just a family pet. It didn't look like the sort of dog you'd have sat on your lap of an evening. (no prejudice against staffy type dogs, they're gorgeous and make lovely pets, but this dog didn't give off a cuddly vibe. The opposite in fact).

I phoned the police back and told them they didn't need to send anyone around, but wanted my concerns noted that the dog's accommodation wasn't secure, and that I concerned about the safety of my dog and children should it get into our garden again when we're in it.

Anyway, dd had a massive strop with me for a) phoning the police in the first place and b) phoning them back and asking them to log my concerns about the dog's accommodation. I suspect DH also thought I was making a fuss over nothing.

Was IBU to do this? What would you do?

ProphetOfDoom Tue 30-Oct-12 22:06:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TinyDancingHoofer Wed 31-Oct-12 00:03:49

YANBU, i would have done the same, maybe asked a few neighbours before i called the police, nothing wrong with what you did at all.

It is worth realising that if this dog got into your garden, your dog can probably get out. Maybe have a quick once round the garden tomorrow? Though it could have scrambled over the fence if there was stuff for it to climb up i guess.

WorraLiberty Wed 31-Oct-12 00:07:51

YANBU but why do you suspect it's a guard dog and not a boisterous pet?

Floralnomad Wed 31-Oct-12 00:10:51

YANBU I'd be really concerned , mainly for my own dog . I do love the way you descibed it as not giving off a cuddly vibe !

WorraLiberty Wed 31-Oct-12 00:13:36

I'm loving the photo link grin

Brings it all to life for those of us with no imagination!

pumpkinsweetie Wed 31-Oct-12 00:15:21

Yanbu but yabu for mentioning the word 'staffy' and pointing out what he looks likegrin

AdoraBell Wed 31-Oct-12 02:03:14

YANBU, I can't think why DD would be upset really. Is she of an age where she thinks you should have left it to roam around your garden to it's heart's content, or something like that? I'm also not anti dog, but I don't want strange ones in my garden.

helpyourself Wed 31-Oct-12 02:14:53

YANBU. I have a staffie x, she looks finer than that one; I get a little hmm about the Staffie bashing in RL as well as on MN, but you're description of its vibe and the fact it's caged sound concerning.

musicalendorphins Wed 31-Oct-12 05:38:50

YaNbu.

DozyDuck Wed 31-Oct-12 06:24:47

Even if it was a little dog giving off 'vibes' I would be concerned. YANBU

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Wed 31-Oct-12 06:35:01

YANBU. Good point raiseda by PP saying that if that dog can get into your backyard, then your dog could probably get out.

I hate dogs being kept in cages. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now