Talk

Advanced search

Baby outdoors in winter AIBU?

(39 Posts)
aamia Tue 30-Oct-12 18:28:46

I have horses, and need to tend to them each day. Sometimes it takes a while. If baby isn't cold (so wrapped up as warmly as needed), AIBU to have him outside with me? Should he only be in a warm car or house? Have some people saying 'poor baby' whenever they see him outside, warm and cosy in his layers, and some surprised when I do leave him at home with DH. Really confused here. Surely if he's warm it's ok?

PickledFanjoCat Tue 30-Oct-12 18:29:38

He is fine! Tell them to piss orf.

valiumredhead Tue 30-Oct-12 18:30:25

Utter bollocks - fresh air is good as long as baby is wrapped up warm!

AnnaKissed Tue 30-Oct-12 18:30:36

What if you were out for a walk or something? The baby would still be outside then and people wouldn't say anything.

Sirzy Tue 30-Oct-12 18:31:25

What are you supposed to do keep them locked inside for 6 months of the year?

Fresh air is good for them!

Hyperballad Tue 30-Oct-12 18:35:27

It'll do him a lot more good being out with you than being stuck in a central heated stuffy house!

I second telling them to piss off!

Ps you can't beat those gorgeous rosy outdoor cheeks can you?!

cathpip Tue 30-Oct-12 18:36:54

What utter toss, if my dc fell asleep in there buggy whilst i was dog walking i just left them in it outside till they woke up. Nothing wrong with either of them oh apart from never ever being ill!!

crazycanuck Tue 30-Oct-12 18:37:31

Cripes, they must think everyone in Canada is a child abuser, sending kids out to play in the snow and bundling babies up to pull them on sleds. Ignore the silly sods, if he's wrapped up he's fine!

CorporeSarnie Tue 30-Oct-12 18:39:21

agreed, yanbu: fresh air is good for them.

halloweeneyqueeney Tue 30-Oct-12 18:40:27

my "poor baby" no 2 will be outdoors every weekday from newborn.. DC1 has to get to preschool/school!

DameMarghoulFountain Tue 30-Oct-12 18:40:29

did you know if they get wet, they DON'T melt shock

wink

enjoy your baby and horses, a brilliant combination if you ask me

redexpat Tue 30-Oct-12 18:41:06

In Denmark we put them in their prams to sleep outside during the day. Down to -10C is fine.

Pollykitten Tue 30-Oct-12 18:42:40

my mum used to put me out under the apple tree every day, unless it was raining, for a couple of hours no matter what temperature. I'm not stunted or sickly or anything!

NulliusInBlurba Tue 30-Oct-12 18:42:43

Eh, we get down to minus 20 most winters, and often have a period of several months where it never gets above zero. What are we supposed to do, never bring babies into the open air? 'Some people' are just potty.

He's in a proper snow suit, with hat, scarf and gloves, yes? And a blanket/duvet wrapped around if he's a smaller baby? Then he's fine. The only thing I would recommend on really cold days is rubbing fat (nothing water based) on his cheeks to stop them peeling.

PurplePidjInAPointyHat Tue 30-Oct-12 18:44:15

How else is he going to grow up to be a 3 day eventing olympic gold medal champion confused

colleysmill Tue 30-Oct-12 18:50:59

My friend has a theory that theres no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing. I've adopted this myself now!

I'm sure if he's wrapped up well he will be fine smile

plutocrap Tue 30-Oct-12 18:51:17

Also, put the rain cover up to create an "atmosphere" of warmer air! smile

Raspberrysorbet Tue 30-Oct-12 18:52:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FrightRunScream Tue 30-Oct-12 18:54:56

Lol! My mum and her brothers - all 1940s winter babies - were "let out" when the temperature rose to freezing. My grandparents' house wasn't much warmer much of the time wink !

Get yourself familiar with Bush Baby and Spotty Otter OP and carry on with your outdoorsy lifestyle.

Sirzy Tue 30-Oct-12 18:57:18

Raspberry - I was always told to work on one more layer than you wear. If in doubt out an extra blanket on them as you can always whip that off!

Raspberrysorbet Tue 30-Oct-12 18:59:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

recall Tue 30-Oct-12 19:02:26

I used to do this, and put a WARM hot water bottle at the bottom of the buggy/pram

cranverry Tue 30-Oct-12 19:04:46

Another Canadian mumsnetter. We'd be in for around 5 months of the year if we didn't take our babies out in the winter. Whilst I have days where I dream about hibernating, I think my toddler would strongly object.

PuffPants Tue 30-Oct-12 19:06:53

Raspberry, I don't like seeing babies too trussed up at the first sign of a chilly breeze. Trust your judgement. It's 10 degrees here and so DS has his cost on, like me, but no accessories yet. I couldn't believe the state of the toddlers at playgroup today, bustled up in hats, gloves, scarves, earmuffs - what will they do when winter arrives? It's only autumn fgs confused

PuffPants Tue 30-Oct-12 19:07:17

Et...his coat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now