Talk

Advanced search

To take sick leave...?

(14 Posts)
MrsWolowitz Tue 30-Oct-12 14:10:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ZombTEE Tue 30-Oct-12 14:12:20

You are sick. Call in sick.

Would you hesitate if you were diabetic and having some issues with your blood sugar?

Same thing.

whattodoo Tue 30-Oct-12 14:15:58

Agree with ZomTee.

I really think you should try to go to docs though, get some help and stop you having to worry about this next week.

MrsWolowitz Tue 30-Oct-12 14:23:11

2rebecca Tue 30-Oct-12 14:24:37

Agree having time off work is sensible, but if this has been building up and you think you may have PND then you need to see your GP as it won't just go away with a couple of days off work.
Also most employers would rather have an employee that was off for a 2 week stretch than one that kept having 2 days a week off for weeks on end.

ZombTEE Tue 30-Oct-12 14:24:44

Yes it is. It's a horrible illness.

Call your doctor to get a sick line. Take care of yourself.

ExitPursuedByAaaaaarGhoul Tue 30-Oct-12 14:25:40

I work Thursdays and Fridays too.

<pointless>

Get thee back to the Doc's for a sick note and ignore the bitchy gossips. Hard to do I know, but when you are feeling better it will be easier.

FangsGoForTheMaidensThroat Tue 30-Oct-12 14:26:36

yes, take at least that off and give your meds a chance to work smile

MrsWolowitz Wed 31-Oct-12 08:19:49

pinkyp Wed 31-Oct-12 08:22:40

Just ring up and ask to speak to the dr, or ask to pass a message on to him if you could have a sick note as you forgot to ask for one at your appointment. You might not need an appointment he'll prob just write you one.

mollymole Wed 31-Oct-12 09:45:18

You ARE ill, you need a sick note. Depression/anxiety is a terrible illness so do not put yourself down. When you are well you can return to work.
Look after yourself.

carabos Wed 31-Oct-12 10:51:16

Get signed off for as long as the GP thinks it will take for the ADs to give you enough relief to be able to work. That way you can focus on your recovery and work can make proper arrangements for cover. That's only fair to all of you.

marriedinwhite Wed 31-Oct-12 11:49:03

You phone the doctors and ask for an appointment with a GP. At the appointment you say the following:

I was presbribed ADs last week due to depression, possibly PND. I didn't go to work last thursday/Friday because I didn't feel well enough emotionally. I am still not feeling well enough, please could you give me a "fit note" stating that I am not fit for work. Then ask the following questions:

1. How long does it usually take for the ADs to start working
2. Is this likely to be PND
3. Is there any other help/or support you can suggest I should have to help me to deal with this and get on with my life and back to work.

Your GP knows you are ill and might need some help. Your GP knows this is an illness and that you need time to recover.

For work: Phone in today so they have notice that you won't be going tomorrow and can arrange cover. "I am really sorry but I still feel unwell and I won't be well enough by tomorrow or Friday. I am going back to the doctor on and will send the fit note/medical certificate as soon as I have it".

Then keep in touch regularly with your line manager.

If you think you will have difficulty actually saying the above to the doctor, write it down and give it to him or her in writing.

Good luck - you need to sort out the practicalities to help yourself get better although I know it's hard. Is there anyone who can help you, accompany you, act as your advocate.

2rebecca Wed 31-Oct-12 12:07:41

You say you have PND so I presume you have been to the GPs and got medication for it already in which case you asking for a sick line because you are too depressed to cope with work at the moment won't come as a surprise to them. If you've been on the medication for a while it maybe needs changing as it obviously isn't working. Most women with PND see their GP regularly whilst still depressed.
GPs are used to people with depression having sick notes whilst the medication starts to work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now