Talk

Advanced search

to think x factor is dire?

(28 Posts)
economistextra Tue 30-Oct-12 13:24:10

I have had to endure some of this programme due to other family members liking it. Is it really the best tv Saturday night can offer? Why is it so popular?

Gary is uncomfortably arrogant.
Tulisa seems to intentionally act street and dumbed down.
Willy is on another planet.
Nicole is a catty diva, I cringe at her behaviour.

The contestants are manipulated and talked up, then let down when they get the boot, I feel sorry for some some are hopelessly arrogant and deserve the boot

I know I don't have to watch, but why is it so popular?surely I'm not alone in hating it?

dequoisagitil Tue 30-Oct-12 13:26:57

I find it intensely irritating and it is so obviously fixed. I feel it treats the viewers as morons.

Purple2012 Tue 30-Oct-12 13:29:04

I have always watched it, mostly out of habit but I haven't bothered the last few weeks. It's all a bit of a farce really.

Ithinkitsjustme Tue 30-Oct-12 13:30:44

I've stopped watching it because it's become rather monotonous, Louis is painfully predictable etc, but I do feel strangely compelled to turn over just before the results are announced to find out who got booted out! grin

FreudiansGoldSlipper Tue 30-Oct-12 13:32:07

I have not seen a Willy on XFactor though Dermots trousers are often very tight

of course it is set up but really a few get to live a pop stars life for a few months get to sing to millions isn't it what they have always wanted to do hmm they should really just take the experiece for what it is not what it might be

but the taking the piss from those that do not get what it is all about and are being laughed at because of this is disgusting it is not entertainment it is no better than the freak shows of victorian times

freddiefrog Tue 30-Oct-12 13:34:35

It's not my cup of tea, I don't like any of them - BGT, X Factor, The Voice, Strictly, I'm A Celebrity, Big Brother etc (with the exception of GBBO).

I'm watching all the other tripe I've recorded or downloaded instead

economistextra Tue 30-Oct-12 13:34:54

Oops sorry I thought Louis was called Willy.

mrsfuzzy Tue 30-Oct-12 13:37:14

seen half an hour of it, sorry but i thought it utter crap! but millions of others obviously would disagree.

Scholes34 Tue 30-Oct-12 13:37:50

The first series of Big Brother was excellent. It was an unexpected success and then becomes a cash cow. The same has happened with the X Factor. It's all contrived and set up and SyCo think we're too stupid to notice.

Let's hope GBBO doesn't go the same way.

Lottapianos Tue 30-Oct-12 13:38:51

It's utterly horrendous. I have only seen snippets of it this year thank fig but was just cringeing at how godawful the 'singers' are. They all sounded totally cack, but there's always at least one judge blowing on about how that was amaaaaayzing and they are a true talent and have definitely got the X factor hmm And Rylan - how could anyone find him remotely entertaining? <shudder>

At least Strictly is entertaining and if the contestants do a crap job they get pulled up on it.

EdsRedeemingQualities Tue 30-Oct-12 13:40:45

No I hate contrived, emotionally manipulative TV that is designed to get people going 'Ooh' and 'aah' all the time.

I'd rather watch more honest stuff tbh.

Our friends like it, it's a 'thing' they do every week (or however often it's on) and so we sit through bits of it when we're there, and say nothing...sadly they enjoy 'You've been framed' as well which is even worse.

<rethinks social set up>

WitchesTit Tue 30-Oct-12 13:44:30

I love how you call him Willy! I'm watching though I'm disillusioned (again) it seems to be another vehicle for another boy band whose rise to success has already been decided.

Beyond Ella (quality not quantity please love) and the adorable James who will have success and celebrity but struggle to retain his dignity and will possibly retreat from the limelight ( that old chestnut) there isn't any stand out talent but the 4 piece topshop boy band win out every week. It's boring. I'm just waiting for the point when they and the other boyband (stage school 'Oliver' auditionees) are up against each other. Willy's going to be wetting his pants.

FreudiansGoldSlipper Tue 30-Oct-12 13:49:58

my friend and i have a bet on how often the word critique will be used smile we really do need to get out more

ceeveebee Tue 30-Oct-12 13:50:46

No, Willy Walsh is in charge of BA. could be his younger brother maybe?
www.pixdesk.ca/editorial/british-airways-ceo-willie-walsh/

I don't think Tulisa acts dumb. She just is dumb. And so rough

CockyPants Tue 30-Oct-12 13:52:18

Dumbed down tv at its worst. Banned in our house. Generation of kids who think the only way to be famous is by appearing on tacky talent shows.

LittleAbruzzenBear Tue 30-Oct-12 13:54:59

DH and I declared the house an X Factor-free zone and we haven't missed it at all. It went downhill after they changed the audition format and also, since becoming a Mother, I haven't enjoyed watching others being humiliated. I love Strictly because I have always loved dancing, although I detest Dancing on Ice!

perceptionreality Tue 30-Oct-12 13:55:39

I really don't like it this year. I watched American Idol this week and you cannot even compare the contestants on that show with ours in the UK - they are so much better and I was left wanting to see more of them - in almost every case. Ok, they have a much bigger pool to choose from but the judges in the UK version didn't choose the best people this year imo.

GetOrfAKAMrsUsainBolt Tue 30-Oct-12 13:58:43

I used to watch it, but decided not to this year. I watched one 10 minute snippet of the auditions and was completely put off.

I think it is a combination of being sick of how contrived it is, dislike of the immense arrogant Wallace and Grommit stupidity of Gary Barlow and the fact I was sick of watching such bollocks on a Saturday.

It really is shite.

Strangely enough where I work the canteen is covered in pictures of one of the lads who is in it because his grandad works in the kitchen. grin So I hope he wins despite having never seen him sing.

oohlaalaa Tue 30-Oct-12 14:24:30

I remember loving the original Popstars with Gareth Gates and Will Young, but have a short attention span. I also loved the series that created Heresay and Girls Alound. Not watched X Factor for years. I got tired of it, too formulaic. Last series I watched Leona Lewis won.

oohlaalaa Tue 30-Oct-12 14:33:57

Yes, watched the first series of Big Brother, when Craig won. Never bothered with the others.

Also, Strictly, I'll occasionally watch it, but not the fan I once was. Only seen one episode so far this series. I hate all those sketches they do, it just drags it out too much. Short attention span you see.

Love Great British Bake Off.

Enjoyed The Voice, when they couldn't see the faces, but as soon as it became like any other talent show, I switched off.

I tend to watch the final of Britain's Got Talent, but miss the earlier episodes. I only started watching once they got rid of Piers Morgan. My hatred is that strong, I can't watch anything he is in.

I've never watched I'm a Celebrity. It just doesn't appeal to me at all.

My DH likes Take Me Out, which despite my better judgement I find quite amusing.

I like some sleb twaddle, such as Celebrity Juice, which my husband considers absolute tosh.

blueraincoat Tue 30-Oct-12 14:36:01

YANNNNNBU. Awful, awful thing.

diddl Tue 30-Oct-12 14:43:24

I´ve never watched it as I know it just wouldn´t interest/appeal to me.

Same with Strictly, or Celebrity/Reality anything.

But I´m obviously in a minority.

WillSingForCake Tue 30-Oct-12 14:55:36

I used to like it, and remember getting really into Pop Idol. But it used to be so much simpler - they just stood on a stage and sang. I hate all the over-the-top routines, and also I hate how long & drawn-out it is now. The results show is an hour long! Ridiculous. Could all be done in 10 minutes, and would be a lot better.

economistextra Tue 30-Oct-12 15:10:18

Witches, haha.

Once you think of him as Willy it seems to stick, Willy seems to suit him better than his old name, hehe.

CrapBag Tue 30-Oct-12 15:17:54

I used to watch it, then I realised what an absolute farce it was and gave up. YANBU. I would stick my ipod on and play on my DS rather than look at the tv whilst it was on. Luckily DH hates it and my kids are too young to be interested.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now