Talk

Advanced search

to take my DS2 back to the Drs?

(16 Posts)
miniegg1980 Tue 30-Oct-12 12:44:17

DS2 is 12 weeks old and has been bunged up with snot since I can remember. Constantly using a nasal spray to help him get rid of it which is giving him an upset tummy. He's seen the dr twice, and both times they've said nothing can be done. But this is getting really annoying now. Poor kid sounds like a traction engine. Surely as his passages are getting bigger it should be shifting??

AgentZigzag Tue 30-Oct-12 12:53:35

Awww poor little mite.

I know it can make things worse if you see other things it could be, and it's hardly a fair exchange for proper medical advice, but have you googled it to see whether it is a normal thing for a 12 week old?

If you're not happy with the advice the doctors given you (which isn't much by the sounds of it) (and bearing in mind the parents of children who were really ill but brushed off by doctors, who just kept plugging away until they were heard) could you see another doctor?

I would probably try yours one more time and really impress on them that you don't feel happy, and then go elsewhere.

Rosa Tue 30-Oct-12 12:56:19

HAve you tried putting a couple of drops of saline soloution in each nostril , a gentle massage and then using a snot sucker ? YOu can get them in boots I believe. Pretty gross but it might help. However if it doesn't ease then I would go back and ask again.

miniegg1980 Tue 30-Oct-12 12:59:37

Thank you AZ for repying. I just feel sorry for the poor little mite. He has seen two drs who both said it didn't need antibiotics and that it'll get better on its own, but the poor kid is making so much noise!

miniegg1980 Tue 30-Oct-12 13:01:12

Thank you Rosa, we're constantly firing nasal solution into his nose, just all keeps coming out the other end confused

economistextra Tue 30-Oct-12 13:05:32

Awww, poor baby. Are you bf?I found encouraging my baby to have extra bfs really helped, as generally a cold that I recovered from quickly may take baby longer, but the increased bf seemed to soothe her and pass her the antibodies.

I don't think antibiotics would work as colds are viruses and antibiotics only work on bacterial infections.

miniegg1980 Tue 30-Oct-12 13:09:30

I am BF economistextra, the little devil feeds every two hours or more, he's a right porker!!

noblegiraffe Tue 30-Oct-12 13:12:57

It's probably less that he doesn't need antibiotics and more that antibiotics wouldn't help as it's not an infection.

Is Karvol allowed for young babies? Steamy bathroom to help the snot stream out? Poor little thing.

economistextra Tue 30-Oct-12 13:15:03

That's good if he's feeding lots as hopefully it'll help him get through it!mine was the same, on and off constant bf until about four months, on the plus side I could eat loads as I was burning so many calories!

Did you have thr cold too?seems unusual that he's suffering if you're well, usually they get the antibodies from mum IME.

mrsfuzzy Tue 30-Oct-12 13:15:55

try karvol drops on a cloth or similar near his cot this helps breathing and clear the nasal passages, is the room he sleeps too warm or stuffy? not always possible to have a window open but a bowl of water near a radiator can humidify the air and in making it slightly damper can assist breathing. antibotics aren't always the answer, because the nasal lining passages are congested with blood which swells them giving the blocked up feeling, the snot aspect is good because it is clearing the muck out of the body, so although it's a bit of a pain that little nose needs to be kept wiped, if the nostrils are sore apply a very, very tiny dab of petroleum jelly around them this will ease soreness and help prevent the skin drying out. as a matter of interest did the g.p check the chest for any potential chest problems? if all else fails i'd see another g.p. incidently the advice i have offered has worked well for my kids when they were babies hope it can help you. hope little one feels better soon, stay strong mum!

miniegg1980 Tue 30-Oct-12 13:30:31

The snot unfortunatley isn't streaming out of his nose, but in his nappies!! He has baby balm on to help clear the passages and is in the bathroom with me every day when I have a shower to breathe in the damper air.

I understand that it isn't always possible to have antibiotics, and not even sure I like them having this young, just getting concerned it hasn't cleared up.

And no I was the only one in the house not to get the cold!

SCOTCHandWRY Tue 30-Oct-12 13:53:25

Could it be allergy related?

Anyone smoking in the house, any pets (especially in the room he sleeps in)?

starfishmummy Tue 30-Oct-12 13:57:53

I was thinking allergy as well.

miniegg1980 Tue 30-Oct-12 14:02:41

No one smokes and we have no pets - unless you include DS1 who is nearly 3 and a bit of an animal?!

Just noticed he has little red cheeks, could it be linked to teething?

JugsMcGee Tue 30-Oct-12 14:04:52

Squirt some BM up there!

miniegg1980 Tue 30-Oct-12 14:13:20

not sure I have that good an aim JMG wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now