Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Regarding having outed a businesses bad customer service online

(17 Posts)
Charliefarlie1192 Tue 30-Oct-12 12:07:56

Every Friday we order food at work from a local cafe. It's about £100 each week. On Friday I arrived late at work but still 45 minutes before our food is collected. I rang the shop to add on to the order and the lady was really rude to me and hung up saying she basically would not add one more sandwich to the order we were messing them around etc. this is not he first time this kind of thing has happened.

Anyway, I decided to name and shame their appalling customer service on Facebook, my boss and several colleagues were fully aware of this and my boss has decided we will use another cafe in future.

Yesterday my colleague called to place an individual order and was should at by the owner about my comments on Facebook! So I came to work today to my colleague having a go at me do ruining it for everybody else....

My opinion is that if he place receives a bad review from an individual they should A) not take it out on others who happen to work with said individual and B) improve their customer service taking the bad review on the chin

Aibu?

nipersvest Tue 30-Oct-12 12:11:21

hmm, have to ask, instead of heading straight to facebook, did you at all try to talk to the sandwich place again and discuss it further directly?

mutny Tue 30-Oct-12 12:11:33

Tbh you have every right. But also they have every right to refuse your business.
I have banned a woman from our restaurant as she messes us about. Its easier sometimes.

Charliefarlie1192 Tue 30-Oct-12 12:13:28

Yes I tried to speak to them she hung up again. We don't mess them about we just occasionally add to the order with plenty of notice.....

mutny Tue 30-Oct-12 12:14:27

They also don't 'have to take it on the chin' especially if they disagree with your assessment of the situation.

mutny Tue 30-Oct-12 12:16:07

we just occasionally add to the order with plenty of notice.....
But its not always that easy and unless you have run a business similar it is difficult to see their pov. But its not and sometimes a business may decide its more trouble than its worth.

Charliefarlie1192 Tue 30-Oct-12 12:16:11

Mutny- do you not think that every business has to take bad reviews in the chin and find ways to improve?

LolaDontCryOverSlitThroats Tue 30-Oct-12 12:16:21

I wouldn't have personally, but if you wrote the review factually and didn't over do it then they shouldn't refuse the order from someone else.

But honestly i don't blame the restaurant for thinking it easier to leave your business behind, did you make it a complaint from yourself or did you do it onothers behalf because if you complained on my behalf i wouldn't be grateful.

Charliefarlie1192 Tue 30-Oct-12 12:20:24

My complaint was about the way I was spoken to and hung up on, nothing to do with anyone else

dequoisagitil Tue 30-Oct-12 12:21:13

I think moaning on FB is a bit rubbish - where's their right of reply?

It'd be one thing to complain on a review site or give them feedback on their own if they had it, so they can respond, but to have a good old whinge on FB is just bad-mouthing. Unless it was on their FB page.

OnlyWantsOne Tue 30-Oct-12 12:21:47

You named and shamed on Facebook and your boss was ok with that?

Surely if your problem concerns orders made for a work place it would be very unprofessional and stupid to complain bitch on Facebook?

Let me guess did you do one of those
"Dear Tescos I was in your branch today...." Letters?

mutny Tue 30-Oct-12 12:23:47

Mutny- do you not think that every business has to take bad reviews in the chin and find ways to improve?
No I don't as I said before especially if they disagree with your assessment of the situation.
If we get a complaint, I would assess it. Some are justified and, yes we can learn from them. Some are not. Just like the woman I handed who always turned up later than booked an usually when the kitchen had closed. A few times we served her because as she said 'its only a couple of people' but the kitchen closes when it closes for a reason.
When we decided to stop and refuse her she kicked off. Imo her complaint was unfounded, so I didn't take it on the chin and look where we could have improved.
And tbh, its THEIR business if they don't want to acknowledge it, even if you were correct, they don't have to. Its not a great way to run a business but its theirs to do with how the wish. You may not agree but its not your decision.
You have the right to do what you did, they have the right to repond the way they have.

Charliefarlie1192 Tue 30-Oct-12 12:24:36

No I didn't do one of those dear Tesco letters I made a statement on my own Facebook page, god knows how they saw it but hey. My boss is not happy with their service anyway. It was my opinion not that of the business though

mutny Tue 30-Oct-12 12:26:17

My complaint was about the way I was spoken to and hung up on, nothing to do with anyone else
You knew they already felt you (not personally as a conpany) were messing them about. This was the straw that broke the camels back, I would bet.
They were already fed up and then you did this so they have though 'enough is enough'.

tiggytape Tue 30-Oct-12 12:30:55

The lady was rude to you so YANBU to be cross about it.
As for Facebook though - was the rude lady the cafe owner, the manager or just a member of staff?

Naming and shaming can really damamge a company but it is a fair enough tactic when the customer has been totally ignored and is still not happy despite proper complaints - but only as a last resort.

If you'd been unhappy with their service in the past, have you ever formally complained to the company direct to give them a chance to put things right?
If you've been quietly seething for ages but never complained and this lady's rudeness was the last straw that is different to having complained properly and got nowhere so named and shamed as a last option.

ZombTEE Tue 30-Oct-12 12:35:55

They absolutely can reply, right there on Facebook.

I am a strong believer in yelling loud and often when I have bad customer service, knowing I may piss off the company.

No, it wasn't fair of them to not allow someone's personal order, but it is their right to refuse service to anyone they want.

Oh and life? Is rarely if ever fair.

midseasonsale Tue 30-Oct-12 12:39:26

The lady was rude to you so YANBU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now