loader

Talk

Advanced search

to start a thread in support of teachers

(62 Posts)
kim147 Tue 30-Oct-12 11:16:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 30-Oct-12 11:17:55

YANBU kim. My other half is a teacher and it makes my blood boil seeing the bashing they get generally speaking.

It's a really hard job and all these people who think they know better should retrain and give it a go then! tossers

GraceOfWrath Tue 30-Oct-12 11:24:04

I'm a teacher, I'm not sure quite why we get the verbal beating as a profession on here daily as we do. Mnetters don't seem to hate any profession quite as much! But then again as a forum of parents I guess the education profession is common ground for all of us.

There are crap teachers, there are great teachers as there are higher and lower standards in any profession. I've just started ignoring those threads now as they say the same things again and again.

I know I work hard and am proud of the job I do.

WorraLiberty Tue 30-Oct-12 11:25:57

The spelling and grammar threads were spot on imo and not 'teacher bashing'.

Teachers are the same as everyone else, some will be good at their jobs, some will be ok at their jobs and some will be totally shit.

Fortunately, the teachers at my kids schools are superb.

But if they were shit then I'd have every right to say so imo, without being accused of 'teacher bashing'.

As for the teachers crying before going into classrooms, well I've also seen parents and pupils crying because of the attitude/actions of a crap teacher.

Horses for courses.

Shagmundfreud Tue 30-Oct-12 11:27:51

YANBU

My SIL is a regular teacher basher. She assumes that if her children are behaving badly in class it's because the teacher isn't doing his or her job properly. angry

I'd love to make her do a days teaching with a whole load of year nines in an inner london comp.

kim147 Tue 30-Oct-12 11:28:01

ABatInBunkFive Tue 30-Oct-12 11:29:38

What worra said.

At my DCs school the teachers are fab, the head on the other hand....

I think on MN all sorts of occupations get 'bashed'

Midwives, teachers, health visitors, doctors, receptionists, it's an equal opportunities bash off. wink

PandorasSocks Tue 30-Oct-12 11:30:09

Teacher-bashing is currently a national sport. It seems we're easy game.

Of course, there are bad teachers with poor attitudes and/or skills - just the same as bad doctors, nurses, politicians, solicitors, traffic wardens, retail workers, taxi drivers, surgeons, civil servants, telecoms engineers... well... you get my point. But, the majority train hard, work hard, are excellent practitioners and genuinely care about young people and education!

And no, we don't finish work at 3pm (I wish), we don't get long holidays (in 20 years in the profession I've yet to get "long" holidays - I bloody well work during time away from school), and we don't deserve the constant bloody bashing we get from media, politicians and parents!

Off to do some marking...

PumpkInDublic Tue 30-Oct-12 11:30:18

My son's current teacher is amazing. I've never seen anyone spark such a love of learning in children. They think he is the coolest guy ever to walk the planet, DP and I agree. My son runs into school excited to find out what he will be learning that day. This teacher also balances his awesomeness with being strict where needed and setting good challenges for each child.

On the other hand, his old school left him to rot. He was given work that was too easy, finished in half the time given and expected to sit quietly while the other children worked without even a book or a worksheet to keep him quiet.

I care about my child's education, try to work with him at home as much as I can, and it's something I do worry about. I'm more likely to post about the bad teacher than the amazing one, as the amazing one gives me no concern. I know one of the worst things about being a teacher can be parents who seem not to care about their child's education.

Perhaps take it as a positive that there are leagues of parents who do really care, and that on the balance of probability although the bashing threads are numerous, they just reflect a small about of teachers who cause concern for parents. Believe me, I appreciate my son's teacher so much, but I never feel he is BU and he doesn't make me feel IABU, so no thread for him so far.

WorraLiberty Tue 30-Oct-12 11:30:49

So parents shouldn't discuss teachers with poor spelling and grammar?

Why? confused

If there were very few teachers who had that problem, there would be very few threads on it I'm sure.

The fact there are numerous threads suggests to me that there is as very real problem and that parents have every right to be concerned.

WilsonFrickett Tue 30-Oct-12 11:31:30

I'm not a teacher-basher at all, but I do expect a primary school teacher to be able to spell and punctuate. These are simple, basic tools of his/her trade, tbh. Spelling Sweden as Sweeden (as happened yesterday) actually grips my shit. But what is really depressing is that this sort of error happens regularly, with different teachers. If teachers don't want a 'bashing' then maybe they should learn their spellings.

Shagmundfreud Tue 30-Oct-12 11:33:24

"As for the teachers crying before going into classrooms, well I've also seen parents and pupils crying because of the attitude/actions of a crap teacher"

Worra - I've taught in challenging comps where half of a 40 minute lesson will be taken up with getting children to sit down, take their coats off, and get their books out. Where children casually hitting each other and swearing in lessons is an everyday occurrence. Where children sit in class with their headphones on and become abusive when you ask them to take them off. This sort of low-level unpleasantness is COMMON in some schools, and it's hideous and demoralising for teachers.

Teachers are VASTLY more sinned against than sinning in the UK.

addictedtolatte Tue 30-Oct-12 11:33:39

i appreciate teachers. my son started reception in september and has learnt a great deal. thanks to his teacher

Shagmundfreud Tue 30-Oct-12 11:34:48

"Spelling Sweden as Sweeden (as happened yesterday) actually grips my shit"

confused

Jesus Christ.

That would grip my shit too......

gwenniebee Tue 30-Oct-12 11:34:49

yanbu. I'm a teacher and it's exhausting.

In fact, all my non-teaching parent friends were warning me that I would be tireder than I had ever been in my life before when my dd was born. Sixteen vaguely sleep deprived weeks in and I can say that is not true. I was tireder working.

GraceOfWrath Tue 30-Oct-12 11:35:15

Worra - I agree teacher's spelling and grammar should be correct and we agree there are good and bad teachers. I think it is the persistency with which people start threads about poor teaching that is a little galling. If the threads on mumsnet represented an accurate picture of the education system then we would be a largely illiterate country!

How many threads have we had recently : the person who served me in tescos was rude; my bin men are a pain; my doctor was too slow getting my friend the help she needed; my hairdresser gave me a bad hair cut etc ?

Anyway, I'm being sucked in and I will now step aside and carry on with my art planning for next term <otherwise mnet might be the cause for some poor teaching grin>

ABatInBunkFive Tue 30-Oct-12 11:35:21

I see plenty of threads on MN praising teachers too. Especially towards the end of a school year and at christmas with lots of parents wanting to show their appreciation.

<shrug>

Alligatorpie Tue 30-Oct-12 11:35:24

I am a primary teacher, and I support this thread!

I think a lot of people just don't know how many things you are doing at the same time when you are teaching. I am sure I have sent home a note with a typo in it, as I have been trying manage some behaviors in the classroom and didnt have time to proofread it. I do my best, and that is all I can do.

I am slightly envious of all the other professions where no one makes mistakes! ( apart from the nhs employees, they get a similar roasting)

BonaDea Tue 30-Oct-12 11:35:38

I haven't seen any general 'teacher bashing' threads, only those where an individual is complaining about a specific teacher, not the whole profession! No one on any of the threads I have seen has derided all teachers or suggested that there are not hard working, brilliant, dedicated teachers out there.

But - do you seriously think it is ok for a teacher not to be able to spell properly or have a basic grasp of grammar?

To me, the blind defence of those who are incapable of doing a basic part of their job damages the profession more than any silly thread on mumsnet complaining about a typo on a report card. Have some pride! Agree that it is daft for those who cannot spell to be teaching spelling and you'd probably find everyone would have more respect for those of you who can actually do your jobs.

WorraLiberty Tue 30-Oct-12 11:37:01

Teachers are VASTLY more sinned against than sinning in the UK

But it's not a competition is it?

What I'm saying is, if posters have legitimate concerns about their child's teacher/spelling/grammar etc...

It shouldn't automatically be seen as teacher bashing.

Sure some people's expectations of their kid's teachers are ridiculous, but usually those posters are taken to task on MN in my experience.

GraceOfWrath Tue 30-Oct-12 11:37:21

Actually that should be teachers' spelling and grammar, an excellently ironic mistake I may say <gives self a house point>

PlaySchool Tue 30-Oct-12 11:37:39

we don't get long holidays (in 20 years in the profession I've yet to get "long" holidays - I bloody well work during time away from school)

Please don't say that!

kim147 Tue 30-Oct-12 11:39:04

WorraLiberty Tue 30-Oct-12 11:41:56

If the threads on mumsnet represented an accurate picture of the education system then we would be a largely illiterate country!

Grace that's an interesting point.

In the last 15 years or so since the internet has 'taken off', I think the general inability to spell has really been magnified.

I'm quite shocked at how many people just can't spell the most simple words and I strongly doubt there are as many dyslexics out there as people tend to claim when pulled up on it.

Twitter, Facebook, Ebay, MumsNet, NetMums etc... really brings it all home I think.

BartletForTeamGB Tue 30-Oct-12 11:42:50

I don't think the MN particularly likes any profession. As a doctor, I see that there are plenty of attacks here, by the government, in the media, same as if you were a social worker, police officer etc.

(And I agree with Worra.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now