Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed at trick or treaters who get offended when I say "No I don't celebrate Halloween

(106 Posts)
CwtchesAndCuddles Tue 30-Oct-12 10:22:08

I hate Halloween!!! As a family we have as little to do with it as possible which is our choice. If other people want to have parties etc that is fine, carry on and have your fun, I just don't want to join in.

I do not invite callers to my house, there are no decorations up, so please do not knock on my door and then verbally abuse me for not taking part!!!

lisad123 Tue 30-Oct-12 10:22:35

Just don't answer the door

Only4theOlympics Tue 30-Oct-12 10:23:31

Or put a sign up?

Mrsjay Tue 30-Oct-12 10:23:47

DO what I do and dont answer the door they will go away,

ScaryBeardyDeadyman Tue 30-Oct-12 10:23:48

Get a sign that says don't bother and stick it on your door. Most police stations offer them.

LolaDontCryOverSlitThroats Tue 30-Oct-12 10:23:51

Don't answer the door.

confused

ClippedPhoenix Tue 30-Oct-12 10:23:53

party pooper, yeah just don't answer the door.

Kalisi Tue 30-Oct-12 10:24:53

Second not answering the door. Why get my their hopes up?

WorraLiberty Tue 30-Oct-12 10:35:43

Yeah just don't answer

I have to say in the 15yrs I've been trick or treating with kids, I've never heard of anyone getting offended that someone doesn't want to take part.

Yet I often read it on internet forums. Maybe I just never meet these people.

CwtchesAndCuddles Tue 30-Oct-12 10:38:17

The point is why shouldn't I be able to open my door?

Do you all encourage your children to knock on strangers doors who are not inviting people to call by decorating?

ScaryBeardyDeadyman Tue 30-Oct-12 10:39:08

printable poster on this site

WorraLiberty Tue 30-Oct-12 10:41:26

The point is why shouldn't I be able to open my door?

But you can open your door?

Mrsjay Tue 30-Oct-12 10:42:58

of course you can open your door and say no thank you and close it again , is it the scary masks that you are scared of bet it is grin. It is halloween kids go out people don't need to give, no I don't decorate I don't know anybody who does

CaptainHoratioWragge Tue 30-Oct-12 10:45:11

Worra, possibly it depends on where you are based?

In our part of South London Halloween is somehow massive and we don't celebrate it for religious reasons (we just dont answer the door on the night) and every flippin year we get some sort of vandalism as a result- flour and eggs through the letterbox, car keyed, plant pots up the walkway overturned etc.
It gets a bit grim...

PumpkInDublic Tue 30-Oct-12 10:46:24

No, my son does not trick or treat, he is too young. I haven't decorated. I will have sweeties tomorrow though. I haven't invited them to knock, but it's a fun part of childhood that I enjoy. Decorations don't equal invite.

I don't like fireworks, they scare me. I will be able to see the display from my window and hear it. I can have my windows open, or I can shut them and the curtains and bang the radio on.

Either, choose not to open you door. Or choose to open your door and say no thank you. You can open your door, it is a choice. HTH.

aldiwhore Tue 30-Oct-12 10:46:52

We tend to only visit houses that have a pumpkin visible. Saying that you cannot change everyone else, only how you react to it, so I suggest a sign, or if you have to open your door, a polite sorry I don't celebrate will suffice.

YANBU to not celebrate Halloween. YANBU to find it irritating. YANBU to be angered when met with rudeness. YABU to expect the world to change for you...

MaryZcary Tue 30-Oct-12 10:46:54

But it's not Hallowe'en yet?

Has anyone knocked on your door yet?

Wait until tomorrow to be offended ffs.

ByTheWay1 Tue 30-Oct-12 10:47:00

Take a look online and put one of these in your window... that is what my mum does

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=no+halloween+callers+poster&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=SGV&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&channel=fflb&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=aK-PUL35M8fL0QWSvICYBA&ved=0CCgQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=707

ComeOutFighting Tue 30-Oct-12 10:47:48

All sorts of people knock on my door unbidden, it isn't restricted to halloween; Religious types trying to tempt my towards Christs bosom, Irish men trying to sell me leather sofas and render repair, over enthusiastic teenagers asking me for my money for charitable causes....hugely more irritating than children doing trick or treat IMO

round heres you only knock on doors if the house is decorated..it works well

trying making the little loves some Toffee-Onions??? That'll learn 'em grin

GhostofMammaTJ Tue 30-Oct-12 10:48:44

Just put a sign up!! My elderly friend who lives alone does it and gets no trouble at all.

I live opposite her and decorate the outside of my house to show they are welcome. I have an average of 120 children to my door and enjoy it. My children go out with their dad and go to houses that are decorated.

singinggirl Tue 30-Oct-12 10:51:59

It does depend on whether or not your local children play tricks when you don't answer the door and give them treats. It is also irritating when you have no pumpkin out, people knock anyway (freaking out the dog because it is happening so constantly) and then on one occasion having a rant at me because my dog scared her child! I have a dog. If you don't like dogs barking, don't ring the doorbells of households you don't know who may have dogs!

CwtchesAndCuddles Tue 30-Oct-12 10:55:39

In the US the etiquette is very much that you opt in to taking part by decorating your house, putting up a poster etc and everybody accepts that.

Here people who don't want to take part have to put up with being pestered, why should they have to put up posters or hide in doors with the lights off? My elderly neigbours are panic stricken already thinking about tomorrow night.

If someone knocks on my door I have no problem in politely saying we do not celebrate halloween - but a lot of people have a problem hearing it.

altinkum Tue 30-Oct-12 10:58:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

freddiefrog Tue 30-Oct-12 10:58:59

Round here, the unwritten rule is if there's no pumpkin, you don't knock.

I only ever let the kids knock if there is some indication that the householder is willing to take part

Fortunately everyone respects that

WorraLiberty Tue 30-Oct-12 10:59:02

So you get a lot of offended people?

Here they just move on to the next house if no-one answers.

You don't have to put a poster up, you don't have to switch your light off for a few hours, you don't have to do anything.

But if you're being bothered by offended people, then it seems sensible to do one or all of the above.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now