Talk

Advanced search

To think if a website offers half price or discounted theatre tickets they should not, in fact, be offering tickets which are actually above the face value?

(4 Posts)
dolcelatte Tue 30-Oct-12 05:52:28

I am hoping to take my DDs to the theatre today as a half term treat, so have been searching various websites which offer discounts, half price tickets etc. However, when you actually carry out a search, it appears that the 'come on' prices are for seats in the back of the grand circle with a restricted view....and even these are actually more than the actual cost of the ticket if you bought it direct from the theatre, plus they want a booking fee of several pounds per ticket as well!

Also, it seems that most theatres will only sell tickets if you turn up at the theatre in person to buy them. Otherwise, most of the tickets seem to be sold through ticket agencies at inflated prices - Grrrr

I think we will just go to the theatre today and see what they have on the door, but it's a bit irritiating. Or AIBU?

Does anyone have any tips as to where discounted tickets might be available, given that this is a last minute booking? Otherwise, with tickets costing about £68.50 each (and that's without the programme, ice cream and interval drinks etc), it will be an expensive day out.

nameuschangeus Tue 30-Oct-12 06:19:23

Try the ticket booth in Leicester Square. That used to be the cheapest for same day tickets by a mile, and they really were half price.

dolcelatte Tue 30-Oct-12 08:16:52

Thanks name, will give them a try, I think there is also one in Covent Garden.

VoiceofUnreason Tue 30-Oct-12 08:26:45

If you can find a show that's coming off soon as it's no longer popular, you can often buy a ticket in the top balcony (ie, cheapest) from the box office in the morning, go to see the show in the afternoon and if it hasn't sold well, they will move you down to the stalls or dress circle. Happened to me several times in London over the years.

Never buy from an agency if you can avoid it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now