Talk

Advanced search

to not have to pay through the nose for postage?

(21 Posts)
FriendofDorothy Mon 29-Oct-12 21:20:11

So, I live in Guernsey. Whilst it is not technically part of the United Kingdom, postage to the islands doesn't cost any more than the usual costs of posting on the mainland.

Today I went onto the Mothercare webste to order some maternity tights and I put my address in only to be told that I have to consider my address as overseas. So, instead of paying £2.95 in postage they charge me £13.95.

This seems like a massive rip off and just a money grabbing venture.

I sent a complaint to Mothercare and they came back with some lame excuse about postage costing more yadda yadda yadda. All of which is completely untrue.

I love living here, but sometimes it is bloody inconvenient!

McHappyPants2012 Mon 29-Oct-12 21:24:08

It seems bonkers, if I send a letter to Scotland from Wales it would cost the same as if I sent a letter to my next door neighbour.

WelshMaenad Mon 29-Oct-12 21:28:15

Bastards! If you want mothercare maternity tights, can you get soneone to buy some and post them over? I pass a big mothercare regularly and would be happy to drop in and buy you done, you can PayPal me and I'll charge actual postage!

FriendofDorothy Mon 29-Oct-12 21:39:50

Wish I had thought of that before. I have been so desperate to buy tights that I just gave in eventually and paid the postage!

GhostShip Mon 29-Oct-12 21:51:44

Do they use courier or Royal Mail?

If courier than that's the price I'm afraid.

Plus if you're in guernsey you don't pay tax on the item do you? I know we have to take away VAT on items sent to guernsey.

FriendofDorothy Mon 29-Oct-12 21:55:04

Not sure whether they use courier or Royal Mail yet.

The VAT is another thing that I have complained about. Part of the email said "All prices are inclusive of applicable UK taxes." so they don't even deduct the VAT.

FriendofDorothy Mon 29-Oct-12 21:55:47

It will annoy me if they do use a courier, it's just not necessary!

GhostShip Mon 29-Oct-12 21:57:56

Couriers are a little pricey, my second job is working for a popular mail order company and we send to Guersney, unfortunately if its under a minimum spend we have to ask for postage charges (like the one you've incurred) otherwise we'd be in the red.

I'd email them about the VAT. surely they have to give it you back?

FriendofDorothy Mon 29-Oct-12 21:59:44

Annoyingly this doesn't mention a minimum spend, it just seems to be their standard pricing. I am just frustrated that it isn't essential when it is possible to use the postal system at the same cost as mainland delivery.

LineRunner Mon 29-Oct-12 21:59:50

Royal Mail also regards the 'Channel Islands' as overseas now. (I sell on ebaY). But not the Isle of Man.

LineRunner Mon 29-Oct-12 22:00:55

p.s. I get this info directly from the Royal Mail postage rates web page.

GhostShip Mon 29-Oct-12 22:01:33

Yeah I was just going to say its not classed as overseas, but still wouldn't be nowhere near the price you've paid for Royal Mail

GhostShip Mon 29-Oct-12 22:02:05

www.royalmail.com/price-finder

If you're curious! X

FriendofDorothy Mon 29-Oct-12 22:02:59

Not according to this website.

FriendofDorothy Mon 29-Oct-12 22:03:40

Ah ok, the difference for business or personal I guess.

GhostShip Mon 29-Oct-12 22:04:14

Look at the one I've just posted, you have to select 'overseas' and then Guersney is in the drop down menu.

Most couriers class Guersney as overseas too

LineRunner Mon 29-Oct-12 22:04:25

Royal Mail is contradicting itself on its own web site?!

I'm just going to check the ebaY definitions. Back shortly.

GhostShip Mon 29-Oct-12 22:04:37

It's silly how expensive it is though

FriendofDorothy Mon 29-Oct-12 22:05:37

It still irritates me when technically it costs not more to send something from Guernsey to the mainland so why does it cost so much more vice versa?

Anyway, I still think Mothercare have a bloody cheek charging that much extra!

I feel your pain. I'm in NI and get this all the time.
But no solutions to offer sorry.

LineRunner Mon 29-Oct-12 22:12:39

I think when I block 'bidders outside the UK' ebaY is blocking bidders from the Channel Islands.

I have plenty of bidders from the Isle of Man.

Anyway, I agree it's a pain in the ass. And the mark up is excessive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now