Talk

Advanced search

To go away for Christmas with DH?

(12 Posts)
1charlie1 Mon 29-Oct-12 21:10:07

Not sure about this. I think it's ok, and I hope WANBU. I would really appreciate your feedback.
DH and I had lunch with my ILs yesterday, and asked what their Christmas plans were. They said 'None', and that DHs brother (their other son) and his wife were off to her parents for a big family meal, with her DBs and families. We suggested a meal out for the four of us, and any other relatives who may be wanting to join, at a pub close to them (an hour from us, I had already phoned to enquire whether it was serving lunch on the day.) This suggestion was enthusiastically received, and I said I would book. DH then mentioned we would also be coming to their area on Boxing Day, in order to show me the local mummers group in action (I'm an Australian, he thinks it is an essential cultural experience). MIL then said 'Oh well, forget Christmas Day then, we'll see you Boxing Day.' DH and I protested, but she held firm, and said she didn't want us on Christmas Day. I was a bit taken aback at this, to be honest, as I cannot imagine my DPs saying they did not want to see us on Christmas Day, especially if they were not going to see my brother either.
I was chatting on the phone to my DM this morning, who said she and DF were giving us money for Christmas - it is enough to put toward a lovely holiday. I feel that as we aren't seeing anyone on Christmas Day, and have no family to spend it with, I would like to go away to Paris for a few days (DH has never been, and it is our first Christmas as a married couple) and have a festive celebration there. We would return on the night of the 26th. We would then go and see the ILs on the 27th, or 28th. DH thinks this is fine. There are no plans for a special meal or anything with the ILs on Boxing Day, just that we would see them. Are we U to change the day? Thanks.

MayTheOddsBeEverInYourFavour Mon 29-Oct-12 21:14:21

Nope not U at all

Go and enjoy Charlie, it sounds fab grin

2rebecca Mon 29-Oct-12 21:18:08

If you fancy going go. it sounds as though your inlaws fancied a quiet xmas and couldn't be bothered going out (don't blame them, I very rarely travel on xmas day).

Laquitar Mon 29-Oct-12 21:23:09

Maybe they are thinking of the cost re the pub meal?

Btw i don't know about xmas but New Years Eve is fun in Paris, they smash things on their balconys!

squeakytoy Mon 29-Oct-12 21:23:23

It sounds great, but I would check what will be open on Xmas day first before going.. and the cost of flights as well, as they will be utterly ridiculous at that time of year.

onedev Mon 29-Oct-12 21:26:10

YANBU - I'd go to Paris definitely. Enjoy grin

amothersplaceisinthewrong Mon 29-Oct-12 21:29:35

The flights will be astronomical at Xmas to Paris, as will the hotels - you will get far more for your money if you go in the Spring (avoiding Easter and half term for the same reason!

Hassled Mon 29-Oct-12 21:32:44

The ILs clearly aren't fussed - go to Paris and have fun.

What is the "local mummers group" though? What does that mean? And won't you miss seeing then in action on Boxing Day?

1charlie1 Mon 29-Oct-12 21:33:38

Thanks for your replies! I feel ok about it now, I don't think it matters which day we visit the ILs, now that Christmas Day itself is out of consideration. We are going to do a Eurostar break thing, everything is fine with the dates on their website, but I will properly google 'Paris at Christmas' to see what might be open, squeakytoy. I am even happy to make do with supermarket bits and pieces bought the day before, and a cheap bottle of wine in the hotel room on Christmas Day. I just don't want to do it in our flat here in the UK!

1charlie1 Mon 29-Oct-12 21:38:28

Hassled, the mummers are a troupe of actors who move from public house to public house on Boxing Day, performing a bizarre panto-type skit with religious overtones (resurrection etc), flavoured with local characters (Robin Hood, Saint George etc.) They are masked, and look quite creepy. It is a medieval tradition, apparently. DH will take me to see a Christmas Folk Festival performance in London of the same in mid-December instead. Sadly, it won't be at the pub though... (or rather, in the pub carpark where the action usually takes place.)

Dozer Mon 29-Oct-12 21:43:24

A rare positive PIL thread! Not only are your in-laws not pressuring you to visit, they're generous with the cash gifts! envy

1charlie1 Mon 29-Oct-12 21:47:44

Dozer, it is my DPs who are giving us the dosh for the holiday. But you're right, I'm feeling increasingly grateful for the suggestion of a 'no visit Christmas'!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now