Talk

Advanced search

To buy my baby 3 coats?

(22 Posts)
toomanydaisies Mon 29-Oct-12 19:46:47

DD is 12 months old. She has a light weight coat and a gillet. If its really cold then I either need to layer her up or buy her a thick, snugly coat OR a snowsuit all-in-one thing. I looked in Polarn O Pyret (sp?) and am now very confused. Advice? She can't walk yet but will be by Chtistmas I think.

disclaimer I am massively over thinking this!

WorraLiberty Mon 29-Oct-12 19:48:06

Buy her as many as you like, I don't care! grin

exoticfruits Mon 29-Oct-12 19:48:16

You are massively over thinking it! Wait and see what she needs.

NapOfTheDamned Mon 29-Oct-12 19:49:58

Bulky coats are hard for toddlers to walk in and they grow out of them fast.
Layers are better.
And you can put blankets on her in buggy or use one of those buggy snuggle things or a sheepskin.

Hanleyhigh Mon 29-Oct-12 19:50:44

POP coats are fab - my dc are 9 and 10 and the coats have passed down year after year.

My dc have a fleece, windproof/waterproof and wear either one or the other for most of the year, then wear them together during the coldest parts, HTH.

NapOfTheDamned Mon 29-Oct-12 19:52:55

I can't see why a toddler would get cold if wearing a vest, long sleeved top, cardigan or jersey, with a fleece over that and a light coat AND a gilet. And hat and mittens as well. With leggings or tights under trousers.

At 12 months she is to going to be striding off in the snow for hours on end.
You'd be better getting a buggy thing and warm kit for yourself so you can get out and about!

NapOfTheDamned Mon 29-Oct-12 19:54:46

That should read 'not going to be striding off in the snow'

thebody Mon 29-Oct-12 19:58:16

Good grief, op I can see you and your dd in hollister having a lovely time together in 13years time!!

Enjoy!!

maddening Mon 29-Oct-12 20:06:31

And get some nice gloves for yourself as pushing a pushchair in the cold makes for freezing hands!

lovebunny Mon 29-Oct-12 20:09:26

get her at least three coats - but don't make her wear them all at once. get a big blanket for the pram and an extra duvet for the sofa. make sure you have cosy clothes, too.

debbie1412 Mon 29-Oct-12 21:12:08

We've got 3 coats x

skandi1 Mon 29-Oct-12 21:44:28

I second POP coats. They are fab!!

And no you are not being unreasonable to buy your baby three coats. My DD had three coats and a snow suits during her first winter.

Inneedofbrandy Mon 29-Oct-12 21:47:46

My dc have these fleecy lined water proof coats, big coats, a few different jackets and a posh coat each. Hmm seems a bit much wrote down..

Disappearing Mon 29-Oct-12 22:50:03

My DS has many coats, I seem to have accumulated them. Some I bought way in advance in larger sizes, during sale times, as I can't resist a bargain. I got them all out to sew name labels in, now that he's at pre-school, and the buggers seem to have multiplied!

So he has - a raincoat, a slightly bigger raincoat, a snowsuit, a lined fleece hoody, a different lined fleece hoody, a totally awesome parka that according to the label age ought to have been outgrown a year ago (came up big), a windproof fleece, another mid weight coat that is just a little too big, plus some jumpers etc. At least I bought them all at a discount, this is my weakness!

So 3 coats seems totally modest in comparison. Go ahead!

5madthings Mon 29-Oct-12 22:59:44

My dd has numerous coats and also two all in one suits, one just wayerproof and the other is an all in one fleecy.lined snowsuit from jo jo mamam bebe.

Anyway she has more that three coats as well some thinner ones, one a lovely red riding hood style coat, also two chunky red coats i was given by friends and a spotty one i was also given. Oh and a yellow one that was my boys when they were little.

She has an embarrassing number of coats, same with clothes, i get given loads and also buy lots (some seconhand) after four boys i am enjoying girls clothes grin

surroundedbyblondes Mon 29-Oct-12 23:04:48

Love PoP stuff. We use it a lot. We live in Sweden so invest a great deal in outdoor gear that is fit for different occasions. Snowsuit is essential here!

If you can afford it, go for it. If you buy good quality stuff you can pass it on to siblings/cousins/neighbours etc

Rockchick1984 Mon 29-Oct-12 23:15:45

I tend to buy DS a few big chunky cardigans - the ones lined with fleece or furry stuff, as he can wear those either as cardis or jackets. I then have a mac for him, and a huge fat puffa coat for when it's really cold.

DS was just on the verge of toddling towards the end of last winter and he hated his snowsuit as he couldn't move around much in it so if your dd is nearly walking I'd think carefully about how badly you will need one smile

toomanydaisies Tue 30-Oct-12 09:00:03

Thank you all so much - have just seen all these messages! Very helpful.... Will head to POP to try to understand their snowsuits/coats!

oldraver Tue 30-Oct-12 12:49:11

Pah...ONLY three coats <whispers> are you new to this game grin

mrsfuzzy Tue 30-Oct-12 13:34:02

i know someone who brought her 2 year old grand daughter four pairs of simliar shoes in different colours, all the same size, the best bit is she complained about the cost being nearly £100, sorry but i had to ask how many feet the kid had! miaow...!

highheelsandequations Tue 30-Oct-12 13:47:53

I suddenly feel the need to buy DD more coats!!

wheredidiputit Tue 30-Oct-12 14:14:06

I always had 2 coats for my DC.

My thinking being if one got wet or needs washing they always have a dry one to wear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now