Talk

Advanced search

to open a bottle of champagne on my own after minor surgery?!!!

(19 Posts)
Pollykitten Mon 29-Oct-12 19:38:02

I've had an ivf egg collection today - it's sedation rather than GA and I'm holed up on the sofa. DH has had to go up North (reluctantly, he's not a bastard or anything!!!) so I've slept all day on the sofa and eaten a LOT of food. I really fancy a glass of wine - I'm basically on the wagon, but didn't think one would hurt in many weeks.... - I've got no wine so I think I'm going to open some champagne left over from our wedding! Not sure if this is a stealth sympathy drive (MN rules are a dark art!). Is it OK drink some champagne? I'd rather have a nice Rioja but ain't got none....

I've had a Heston Blumenthal-Idiot fish pie. A bit like the new James Bond, it was over-rated!

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 29-Oct-12 19:40:38

I probably wouldn't bother for one glass if it is going to go to waste. If you are going to neck the lot... will you be OK on your own? <on fence>

WorraLiberty Mon 29-Oct-12 19:41:03

No idea really

Were you released with any information about the sedative?

fishface2 Mon 29-Oct-12 19:41:49

Do it! I would. Good luck with the ivf and cheers! X

Nancy66 Mon 29-Oct-12 19:43:24

this is the best window of opportunity for boozing if you're having IVF

The eggs are collected and they won't be put back in for a few days....so go for it.

DawnOfTheDee Mon 29-Oct-12 19:43:32

I'd do it.

Pollykitten Mon 29-Oct-12 19:51:57

That's what I reckoned Nancy! Won't have the whole bottle though... I could manage under normal circumstances, but being on the wagon has lost me my hollow legs!! Hopefully transfer on Saturday, then it's Drysville USA for a bit. Thanks for supporting my dysfunctionality!

thebody Mon 29-Oct-12 20:04:32

Do it and good luck with the treatments xx

GhostofMammaTJ Mon 29-Oct-12 20:14:20

Best window of opportunity!! Go for it and good luck!!

AWomanCalledHorse Mon 29-Oct-12 20:16:09

Go for it now, sorry the pie was crap!

You've got a 9 month stint of booze abstinence in your not to distant future (keeping everything crossed for you). Good luck x

Pollykitten Mon 29-Oct-12 20:17:45

thank you ladies - they got 19 eggs so I could toast that! [notsostealthboast] little bit lonely on my ownio, but lots to be thankful for. Love MN!

Wolfiefan Mon 29-Oct-12 20:19:46

Wow. 19! Well done you. Hoping for vvvv good news before too long. Enjoy your drink.

Calabraaiiiiiiiinnnnnsssss Mon 29-Oct-12 20:20:27

Spoilsport alert.

Alcohol after sedation isn't a good idea I'm afraid. One of the side effects of sedation is amnesia (good thing too for some procedures) and alcohol can make is worse.

Anecdote. Years ago my then bf had sedation for dental treatment, then we went for a pizza. He had a beer despite me saying he better not. He has no recollection of the evening at all. Not even telling me off for telling his boss on the phone that he probably wouldn't remember their conversation, which he didn't.

CaptainVonTrapp Mon 29-Oct-12 20:20:50

do it. But if its real champagne don't just have a glass. Finish the bottle.

CaptainVonTrapp Mon 29-Oct-12 20:23:27

Wouldn't personally worry about the amnesia, I doubt anything is going to happen this evening that you'll be sorry to forget (unless you include an episode of 'Monroe')

bowerbird Mon 29-Oct-12 20:29:48

Do it definitely - it's hours after the sedation, which anyway is incredibly mild for egg collection. Raise a glass to you and your husband and the child you're trying to make.

Wishing you all the best of luck.

Pollykitten Mon 29-Oct-12 20:37:19

thanks - did sleep like the just most of the day - the sedation must have been mild as I remember most of the procedure itself. I'm so full of hope, but it's also worrying as husband frozen sample isn't great - it's ICSI - always try to be glad that we have options in this day and age.

McHappyPants2012 Mon 29-Oct-12 20:41:53

I would hopefully your drinking days are outnumbered and you will be pregnant

Pollykitten Mon 29-Oct-12 20:44:12

I hope so too! I would cheerfully forego the old xmas sherry any day of the week!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now