Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to obey this road sign?

(36 Posts)
Iodine Mon 29-Oct-12 19:17:14

Before people tell me to LTB, things are already in hand. I am getting up the courags to tell DP enough is enough.

We went to stay at a hotel in an area our friend lives in. I drove us the 250 miles there on friday night in the dark as DP was too tired. The next day I drove us into town for breakfast, to the next town to pick DPs friend up and then onto an exhibition for a hobby that I have dabbled in briefly but both the men love. I walked around all day with them, pretended to be interested etc.

I drove us back, via dps friends, back to hotel for a quick change and back out to yet another town for drinks and dinner. I bit the bullet and drove because DP had vastly underestimated taxi costs and both me and the friend are short of cash.

On our way out of the hotel there is a 'no right turn' sign. I turned left down to the roundabout 200 yards away and did a 360 turn back to where we came from.

DP went mental at me. Telling me to ignore the sign as the road was pretty clear. Telling me "I'm so frustrating!" and how he hates "my style" of driving. All in front of his friend which made me feel shite. He also shouts at me in carparks at every space available, no matter how tight or whether I am aiming for a space I want.

WIBU to obey the sign? And expect him to STFU and just be grateful I chauferred him around all weekend?

aldiwhore Mon 29-Oct-12 19:19:16

I wouldn''t expect him to STFU, I would tell him... or pull over and tell him to walk the rest of the way. YABU for putting up with his attitude when you are doing the driving. Next time, he should be designated driver.

BlueberryHill Mon 29-Oct-12 19:20:40

You were right to obey the sign.

Yes he should STFU and be grateful that you drove all the time and let him have a drink. He is the one who looked an arse in front of his friend not you. Yes, if this is his normal behaviour you should LTB. It is completely disrespectful, he is an arse. Arse just seems to describe hiim well.

Skivvytomany Mon 29-Oct-12 19:20:48

No you weren't being unreasonable and yes he should be grateful you wre chauffering him about. You were driving so its up to you ow you drive and signs are put there for a reason not just to inconvenience your dp.

ThunderboltKid Mon 29-Oct-12 19:21:40

YANBU (but you probably only turned 180 degrees rather than 360 wink)

DawnOfTheDee Mon 29-Oct-12 19:22:08

Agree with aldiwhore. I'd have kicked him out of the still moving vehicle.

What a knobber.

SugarPastePumpkin Mon 29-Oct-12 19:22:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

QuietNinjaTardis Mon 29-Oct-12 19:23:11

Yanbu. Hope you get everything sorted to ltb.

Iodine Mon 29-Oct-12 19:23:58

Whoops thunderbolt, one glass of wine and I'm all confused about how many degrees I turned blush

SugarPastePumpkin Mon 29-Oct-12 19:24:17

Autumnchill Mon 29-Oct-12 19:25:13

YANBU

You are in the driving seat, you drive how you want and obey the road signs

tazzle22 Mon 29-Oct-12 19:27:20

well even if the road appeared clear........ could have been a cop car / cycle just around the corner and you would have been caught red handed !!!

one should obey the signs.... just like one should obey red traffic lights even if you dont see a car / motorbike or cycle.

If someone shouted at me like that when I was driving them ..... car would stop in quick order ... and if more than once then fella would soon be an ex wink

hillyhilly Mon 29-Oct-12 19:28:02

You were in the right and he has no right whatsoever to criticise. Tell him to drive next time.
Btw, I agree, you did do a 360 turn as you came back in yourself didn't you?

Iodine Mon 29-Oct-12 19:29:24

SugarPastePumkin- I would love to send him to you. And you're right LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO WASTE ON HIM! He should have been fucking grateful that I sat there in my favourite cocktail bar watching him and his friend getting drunk on lots of amazing cocktails and then whined when I said I thought he should pay for my cocktails (all 2 non alcoholic ones) to thank me for driving. So I bought my own and he saved £40 in taxis.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 29-Oct-12 19:31:09

Tell him that if it is OK to disregard the law when no one is watching, you will be burying him under the patio. Coz that's OK if no one is watching.

Iodine Mon 29-Oct-12 19:35:50

hillyhilly- I came back on myself. It felt like I was doing 360 degrees round the roundabout but the car ended up 180 degrees from the way I was facing before. I give up with degrees!

He thinks that me obeying the sign is my "driving style" and that it is open for interpretation on an empty road. Bollocks.

openerofjars Mon 29-Oct-12 19:36:24

Ah, so he's an ungrateful cocklodger. Good on you for getting rid, sounds like high time.

And whiny is soooooooooooooooo unattractive. Bin for him, I think.

Iodine Mon 29-Oct-12 19:40:03

openerofjars- I think whiny is more unattractive than shouty in a way. Whiney just makes me feel like his mother.

Even better is the whining of "you don't find me attractive anymore" when I refuse to sleep with him because he has been shouting at me.

SugarPastePumpkin Mon 29-Oct-12 19:41:42

NotGoodNotBad Mon 29-Oct-12 19:43:04

He wouldn't buy you 2 drinks? shock

On the No Right Turn incident I'd have been tempted to stop the car and tell him to get out and walk. That's my driving style! grin

SeveredCabbage Mon 29-Oct-12 19:47:30

He sounds like a total twat. You have been driving him round the country and now he doesn't like your droning style!

I think you should get a new nicer boyfriend as you sound lovely and you should not be going out with someone who is taking you so blatantly for granted.

BlueberryHill Mon 29-Oct-12 19:48:16

Can't think why you don't find him attractive anymore.

Doh, what an idiot, and a tight ungrateful idiot at that.

yourheadonastick Mon 29-Oct-12 19:49:11

You did the right thing to obey the road sign.

I read through, and agreed with other posters: tell him to shut up, get out and walk etc.

But the bit that got me shock wad that he kicked up a fuss about paying for your two drinks???

That in itself would be the dealbreaker. You stayed sober, and performed a free chauffeur service.

Fuck that.

Iodine Mon 29-Oct-12 19:49:24

It was particularly unpleasant saying no to buying my drinks considering I am unemployed (not through lack of trying) and he has a well paid job.

SugarPastePumpkin Mon 29-Oct-12 19:50:18

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now