Talk

Advanced search

To wish we didn't have to now compromise and also feel anxious about Citroens...

(51 Posts)
Gentleness Mon 29-Oct-12 17:24:28

That has to be the weirdest AIBU title I've ever seen, but it does sum up my mindset on how frustrating our situation just became. I'm almost definitely over-reacting but I can't seem to process out the emotional, hormonal, on the edge of going back to the dr anyway about ADs for pre-natal depression rubbish. And I need to analyse calmly instead - so hopefully there'll be some wise, calming and kindly spoken words here.

We need to change our car. In less than a month, the list price for ours has gone down from £7k to £5800. I cannot believe it. It is really stressing me out as we now have to recalculate everything. Or borrow money, which I am set against. Even more irritating, we love the car and are only selling because we can't fit 3 car seats in the back: baby is due at Christmas. We have little cash available to top up beyond what we get for our car so yet again, the plans get revised downwards. We only run one car and as we do a fair amount of family visits etc over 150miles (one way), I really want something reliable and safe.

I know this is such a luxurious problem to have, but it's still depressing to keep scaling back from the plans we had. Last year, contemplating this change, we were thinking 3yr-old Seat Alhambra or VW Touran. Last month we were thinking of older options. Last week we narrowed down to Citroen Grand Picasso because of costs. And yesterday we were wondering about the Xsara or C4 Picassos, or a Berlingo, only if we couldn't find a Grand Picasso of a reliable range of mileage/age in our price range. Today, we are suddenly down to definitely a 5 seater. And me thinking that I can no longer even contemplate having a fourth child as we'd wanted to...

And Citroens scare me because of all the reliability horror stories and dealership horror stories. Anyone got any GOOD stories about buying from them? Or able to tell me whether to buy a Berlingo or one of the Picassos? I am so tired of spending time and stress on this now...

FireOverBabylon Mon 29-Oct-12 17:27:57

I have a Citroen C4 now, previously had a Seat Leon and before that a citroen Saxo.

I've never had preoblems with either of the citroens and neither have my mum or sister who've both had them.

I've also heard odd horror stories but only regarding brand new cars, if you're buying 2nd hand, I wouldn't worry.

BellaTheGymnast Mon 29-Oct-12 17:28:20

Can't help you with the Citroen, but my sis had a great Peugeot that was very boxy and ugly but was fantastically economical and never gave her problems. It was wide and tall and big enough for three teenagers across the back, so would be fine for child seats.

Car woes are awful, they are the most tedious thing to buy, only houses make you feel skinter.

Euphemiaaaarrrrgggghhhh Mon 29-Oct-12 17:30:16

I had a Picasso for about five years and loved it, great car. I sold it as I didn't need as much space. It was the most reliable car I've had - never a problem with it.

Haribojoe Mon 29-Oct-12 17:30:30

Am currently on my third Citroën, and (touch wood) have nit had any problems.

Have to say I've never heard any horror stories about them either, in fact have got several friends with various citroens too and they've all had good experiences.

I had a C4 as a company car a few years ago and loved it! When I replace my current car I'll probably go for a Citreon again. Afaik (from my mechanic neighbour), they're a pain to fix because of everything being computerised but he has one so I guess they can't be too bad.

ObiWan Mon 29-Oct-12 17:32:19

In the nicest possible way, I think that you are giving this too much headspace.

We have more children than you, and have found Renault Grand Scenics, and Vauxhall Zafiras (both 7 seaters) to be fine. We had a Toyota Previa at one point too.

We've bought cars over seven years old, and only ever needed to replace brake pads, and cambelts.

Clareyst Mon 29-Oct-12 17:32:27

Have you seen these? multimac.co.uk Could this be a way of keeping your current car and saving the stress of deciding which car to buy?

Gentleness Mon 29-Oct-12 17:32:31

I might love you Babylon!

Seriously - we watched Slumdog Millionaire over the weekend and I vowed not to be stressed about something as stupid as a car ever again, yet here I am again spending time researching cars instead of being with my kids, and thinking about amounts of money that would make a huge difference to genuine orphanages in India.

mutny Mon 29-Oct-12 17:33:07

Have had 2 Picassos. Currently have one. Never had any issues with either car or dealership.
Intact I was in an accident in the first and the policeman told me the reason my car didn't flip over was because the Picasso has weight low down so it stopped it flipping and saved me from Serious injury

CrackleMauve Mon 29-Oct-12 17:33:19

I have a Citroen C3 and no problems at all, very fond of my little Citroen.

shopafrolic Mon 29-Oct-12 17:33:40

I've driven Citroens for over 20 years with only one problem many years ago. I currently have the C4 Picasso and it is brilliant. Loads of room in the back, huge boot ( we have the normal size one not the Grande) and all the mod cons including a refrigerated glove box, blue tooth, link for iPod etc etc. great for my 21 mth old DS too. In built sunshades, pull down tray in back of front seats etc etc
I've only ever driven diesel versions tho - perhaps petrol are less reliable? Very economical on fuel too.....

Adversecamber Mon 29-Oct-12 17:33:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Narked Mon 29-Oct-12 17:34:55

Buy from somewhere where you get the full service history. By the time it's 3 years old a lemon will have shown itself.

chipsandpeas Mon 29-Oct-12 17:35:59

im on my second citroen c3 and never had a problem with either of them

CrackleMauve Mon 29-Oct-12 17:37:06

Actually, I do hate something about my C3. The fact I talked my husband out of buying the C4 Picasso. It just looked so huge and we didn't have a car or child at the time. Now I think "idiot" every time we go away for a week and try to fit everything in the boot.

financialwizard Mon 29-Oct-12 17:38:33

I have had quite a few citroens over the years and never had reliability issues with them.

A few years ago I switched to Volvo because I could afford to, and I would not buy anything else now, but that is my preference. Not having as many children who need car seats might change my mine though!

pollyblue Mon 29-Oct-12 17:39:42

DH has a Picasso, bought for same reason, needed three dc seats of same type for a while. His only grumble about it is the fact that so much of it is computerised so even minor repairs usually mean a trip to the dealer as he can't access most of the engine himself, and as he's a tightwad thrifty, he would like to be able to do more himself if needed.

Iteotwawki Mon 29-Oct-12 17:41:50

We had a 5 year old Xsara Picasso just before we left the uk and I loved it! Great driving position, good visibility with no odd blind spots, lots of room - wasn't worth carting it to NZ sadly, I really miss it. DH put some kind of shelf in the back (buggy on shelf, shopping underneath) & it was just fab. V reliable, no MoT or service issues. If it wasn't so expensive to get European car parts over here I'd have insisted on bringing it with us.

MisForMumNotMaid Mon 29-Oct-12 17:48:30

Why can't you get three car seats in your current car? What ages/ car seat stages are your DC and have you researched car seat options that might fit in?

I have a tiny Hyundai I10 and can get three seats in the back. It's been a combination of booster, stage 2 and newborn, now stage 2 and two boosters.

I brought seatbelt extensions to make it easier to get the seats in.

freddiefrog Mon 29-Oct-12 17:53:12

We had a Picasso for years and never had a problem with it (we've downsized as we don't need to cart prams, changing bags and massive car seats around anymore)

We also had a Renault Scenic for a while but that broke down regularly. The only reliable thing about it was that it would reliably breakdown.

We've got a Peugeot now and (touch wood) that's been fine too.

DamnBamboo Mon 29-Oct-12 18:08:20

We've got a Citroen C4 Grand Picasso. Never had any problems with it and there is bags and bags of room. It's a little gutless from a full stop, but it drives nicely, is fuel economical and ... did I say it had bags and bags of room! smile

Glitterknickaz Mon 29-Oct-12 18:20:35

I'm on my second C4 Grand Picasso (both were on motability).
I'd go for the diesel over the petrol, definitely.

I've also been in one in a front end impact at 30mph, we all emerged unscathed. It makes me feel so safe in that knowledge.

The only one single thing I don't like is the turning circle isn't particularly tight.

DigestivesWithCheese Mon 29-Oct-12 18:59:30

We've got a Picasso and I love it. Fits everything in, three proper seatbelts in the back, fits 3 car seats comfortably, nice to drive. I like it so much that I will only consider giving it up if I am moving to a grand Picasso smile

HGAFC Mon 29-Oct-12 19:34:20

Two words for you; Ford. S-Max.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now