Talk

Advanced search

If a primary teacher has a poor grasp of grammar and poor spelling, should they even be a teacher?

(98 Posts)
Lightcotton Mon 29-Oct-12 15:48:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Mon 29-Oct-12 15:50:52

Yanbu

cornybeefhash Mon 29-Oct-12 15:51:57

No

kim147 Mon 29-Oct-12 15:52:18

lovebunny Mon 29-Oct-12 15:55:05

dear God. if a teacher burps, etc, swears, occasionally has a wardrobe malfunction, can't spell, can't write, can't add up or is in any other way human, mumsnetters can arrange to have them exterminated.
you people are extremely unpleasant.
some poor devil has to teach your child. get over it.

CailinDana Mon 29-Oct-12 15:56:56

YANBU. When I was a teacher I had to explain basic grammar to some colleagues. In Ireland, where all primary teachers have to teach Irish, I saw it being taught entirely incorrectly, and I mean that the sentences written on the board were gobbledegook.

Part of the problem is that textbooks aren't used. If nothing else a good textbook ensures that the teacher has a reference point and can see for themselves if they are wrong about something. Otherwise they end up pulling it out of their head and even the most able teachers can get the most surprising things wrong when their memory fails them or they dig out a long-lost bit of mislearned information.

PeppermintPumpkin Mon 29-Oct-12 15:57:36

Burping and the wearing of crap clothes are excusable. Poor spelling and punctuation are not. YANBU, cross out and correct all their mistakes in the home book. It works a treat most of the time. grin

JuliaScurr Mon 29-Oct-12 15:58:03

more important to give kids confidence and social skills imo

Journey Mon 29-Oct-12 15:58:52

Yanbu. It's an essential competence of the job.

Kennyp Mon 29-Oct-12 15:59:34

i worked with a teacher who couldn't spell - she was constantly asking me (my smugpoints went through the roof).

i thought it was shocking, ditto the piss poor grammar I have seen written by a TA in numerous homebooks that are read by the parents/AA Sundry/nosey people like me.

obviously my language on here is down the drain but when I am working I write dead proper, innit.

WofflingOn Mon 29-Oct-12 15:59:58

YANBU, and yes, this theme has been done many, many times before. Perhaps because it is a matter for concern that has not yet been resolved?
I agree with the new tests BTW.

HeinousHecate Mon 29-Oct-12 16:00:29

I don't think it is unpleasant to ask how someone can teach something they can't do.

If you are going to teach young children to spell something - you have to teach them the right spelling! If you are to teach them English, you have to teach them where to put a comma.

If you can't do these things, then you can't teach them.

What is rude or nasty about that?

It's like saying it is nasty to object to a french teacher who can't speak french, or a swimming teacher who can't swim grin

It's not horrible to want a teacher to be able to deliver the subject(s) they are supposed to teach.

ChaoticismyLife Mon 29-Oct-12 16:02:38

What Hecate said.

MrsBovary Mon 29-Oct-12 16:04:56

Yanbu, and also agreeing with what Hecate said.

kim147 Mon 29-Oct-12 16:07:11

WilsonFrickett Mon 29-Oct-12 16:09:04

Yanbu. Daniel is from Sweeden being today's particular gem.

PumpkInDublic Mon 29-Oct-12 16:09:41

"some poor devil has to teach your child. get over it"

Erm, no!

Agree with Hecate.

CurlyhairedAssassin Mon 29-Oct-12 16:13:06

Hear, hear, Hecate! (Note that I didn't write "here, here" - something I'm sick of seeing on Facebook but that's a whole other matter!)

It's plain common sense. I'm always very shocked at people who defend primary teachers' poor spelling. It's just an essential, basic requirement of the job ALONG with the ability to hold 30 kids' attention or discipline them or teach them to add up (that's for the next person who starts saying "well, you could get someone whose spelling is perfect but who cant control a class". That argument is just a load of crap - you need to be good at BOTH. You need to be a good all-rounder to be a good primary schook teacher. It's a tough job but you need to be able to be half-decent at ALL of it. Otherwise stay away from my kids, please, and make way for someone that IS capable. It is not an option to be shit at spelling when you're teaching the rudiments of our language to children. It just isn't.

CurlyhairedAssassin Mon 29-Oct-12 16:19:44

I was a bit taken aback when I was reading through my son's science book at parents' evening last year - the teacher had crossed out his (admittedly) wrong spelling of "apparatus" and written "aparratus". Now to me, if you're going to teach science you at least should be spelling the basic terms correctly. Its's BASIC! [cries]

Prarieflower Mon 29-Oct-12 16:23:59

I think they should be tackling TAs too as some of the spelling,punctuation and grammar I've seen has been utterly appalling. I once had to rip pages out of books because the TA I was given couldn't spell.

One thing though, bad spelling etc by Mners on here really doesn't need a roasting as everybody is entitled to free time and if you've had a glass and are speed typing etc mistakes are going to happen.

Mistakes at school and in things sent home though are not on.Have to say mistakes in newsletters(thankfully I've never seen any) will most likely be down to office staff.

kim147 Mon 29-Oct-12 16:28:09

Kennyp Mon 29-Oct-12 16:28:30

i had at my son's school recently

"math's homework to be given out on monday's and given back on friday's". i nearly fainted.

treaclesoda Mon 29-Oct-12 16:29:43

I agree, I'm not a total pedant who goes crazy when someone makes a spelling mistake on here, but I do believe that a teacher should be capable of using the correct grammar and the correct spelling. I know that language evolves etc, but in reality there is a reason that there are rules of grammar and correct spelling, and the reason is to make sure that people understand what is written. I'd go a step further and say that handwriting should be legible as well.

SamSmalaidh Mon 29-Oct-12 16:32:45

I agree. I think if you are good with children and can build their confidence and social skills, but can't manage spelling and grammar, you are better suited to work in a nursery (though literacy levels should be higher amongst nursery staff than they currently are, but it isn't essential for working with children who cannot read or write yet).

WorraLiberty Mon 29-Oct-12 16:37:28

YANBU at all...it's a very basic requirement as far as I'm concerned.

The worst thing you can do is learn something that's wrong at an early age, as it takes a hell of a long time to 'unlearn' it again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now