Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that I'm probably better off not paying NI

(9 Posts)
mumsfretter Mon 29-Oct-12 15:29:38

in order to get a state pension because it will be a waste of money as there'll be no state pension for me anyway?

I am 36 don't work now but had a private pension which my partner is keeping payments up on for me now I'm a sahm. I obviously don't pay NI and in light of comment's of the CB thread I just can't see me receiving any pension when/if I reach retirement age. Surely they will means test it by then because there will be bugger all in the pot so it's a waste of time me paying NI now solely for pension purposes?

GrimAndHumourless Mon 29-Oct-12 15:37:25

who knows what the future will hold, I can't get worked up about it [sigh]

scarevola Mon 29-Oct-12 15:37:37

If you are a SAHM, it does not cost you anything at all to receive an NI credit until your youngest is 12.

They do keep changing the rules, but one thing which is certain is that if you do not qualify for a full state pension and have no other means, then you can end up in very miserable poverty. It would be imprudent not to maintain your NI record during the SAHM years.

mumsfretter Mon 29-Oct-12 15:42:02

How do I do that scarevola?

mutny Mon 29-Oct-12 15:43:29

as long as the CB is paid into your account your NI is covered as far as I am aware.

scarevola Mon 29-Oct-12 15:46:20

It's a component of CB and will be credited automatically until your youngest qualifying child is 12. You can ring Newcastle to check.

This is why it is very important that SAHPs do not stop claiming CB, even if they currently have a high-income cohabitant from which the cash element can be clawed back.

MrsHoarder Mon 29-Oct-12 15:57:08

Also, Nanna-in-law rang up when she reached pension age a few years ago and they let her make a few years' payments then to get a full state pension.

scarevola Mon 29-Oct-12 16:01:40

Yes, you can buy years. Bit of an expensive way round, though, if they are years you could have had credited via CB (there are limits on retrospective changes to contributions record).

mumsfretter Mon 29-Oct-12 16:55:09

Great info thank you.

And when is the date for CB changes, i.e. when do I need to start making sure I'm claiming. My DH is over the threshold.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now