Talk

Advanced search

AIBU To think that if the speed limit...

(99 Posts)
sadie3 Mon 29-Oct-12 14:18:49

Is 50 mph you drive at 50 not 30 mph

Rant over !

YellowDinosaur Mon 29-Oct-12 14:20:20

It's a limit not a target.

Just because the limit is 50 it doesn't mean that given weather conditions etc it is safe to drive at the limit.

ScaryHalloweenNameChange Mon 29-Oct-12 14:20:50

Depends if there's a hazard ahead, or if it's raining really hard, or visibility is poor. You can always overtake.

VinegarTits Mon 29-Oct-12 14:21:33

YABU

ChaosTrulyReigns Mon 29-Oct-12 14:21:43

There are many circumstances that dictste what speed you drive at.

The 50 being an indicator of the fastest speed applicable.

missymoomoomee Mon 29-Oct-12 14:23:32

YABU its a limit it doesn't mean you have to sit at that speed.

degutastic Mon 29-Oct-12 14:23:37

YANBU if the road and the conditions are safe to do so. People who plod along decent roads in good conditions etc holding up traffic for no reason are a menace.

That said, so are people who insist on driving at or above the limit when the conditions aren't safe to do so too grin

sadie3 Mon 29-Oct-12 14:23:48

Obviously if the weather is bad I would expect drivers to drive with caution but IMO drivers who drive too slowly cause more accidents with people getting annoyed and trying to overtake (not that I overtook I just sat there like a snail wanting to ram the old biddy in front)

AKissIsNotAContract Mon 29-Oct-12 14:23:55

Do we have official minimum speeds? My MIL2B was pulled over by the police for driving too slowly recently.

3monkeys3 Mon 29-Oct-12 14:25:23

Depends. If it's someone doing 30 when it's perfectly safe to do 50 and they're just too scared YANBU, but if it's in poor driving conditions or a very narrow, bendy road then YABU - I live rurally and have to drive down winding country lanes every time I leave the house and I can't believe the speed some idiots drive around them.

MissKeithLemon Mon 29-Oct-12 14:25:32

I'm assuming it was safe to do so?

If so YANBU. You may not get anyone else agreeing with you though grin

<<Hands Sadie3 some flame proof pants and slowly backs out of this thread>>

VinegarTits Mon 29-Oct-12 14:26:39

no. people who get annoyed and impatient cause more accidents on the road, than people who drive too causiously

ChaosTrulyReigns Mon 29-Oct-12 14:28:09

The person I front has a completely different road view than you though.

It may appear safe from your driving position, but not necessarily from theirs.

Beksybob Mon 29-Oct-12 14:30:03

It is frustrating. My drive home from work is on a nice, broad, single carriageway 60 road. More often than you get stuck behind someone doing 40.

RustyScare Mon 29-Oct-12 14:30:43

People who drive too slowly may be annoying, but no-one has to overtake them - the blame for any accident is still with the overtaker.

JaquelineHyde Mon 29-Oct-12 14:31:03

It's a maximum that is not to be exceeded.

Not a target.

You have no idea why the person was driving at 30 but obviously they felt that it was safer for them to drive at 30 than at 50.

YABVVU and I'm sure you know it.

sadie3 Mon 29-Oct-12 14:31:58

The road in question is a straight road, no other cars on the road except me and the pest, no dangerous driving conditions to report so why drive at 30mph?

Everlong Mon 29-Oct-12 14:33:41

Yabu.

50mph is the speed limit doesn't mean you have to drive at 50mph.

sadie3 Mon 29-Oct-12 14:37:13

So perfect people, don't you ever get annoyed when someone is driving soooo slow in front of you? I was missing valuable MN time and wanted to get home quick!

Everlong Mon 29-Oct-12 14:37:19

Some people just drive slower than others.

I've seen slow drivers being flashed at, beeped at, tailgated by impatient dicks.

They are more dangerous than the person they are harassing.

VinegarTits Mon 29-Oct-12 14:39:49

did you stay up her arse all the way? because if you did that to me i would continue to drive slow just because you would have pissed me off, i cant stand impatient nutters who try to bump you along by driving up your arse

Everlong Mon 29-Oct-12 14:40:45

Annoyed?

No not really. What's the point? What difference to my life is it going to make if I get wherever I'm going 2 minutes later?

There are too many aggressive idiots on the road as it is. Some people drive slow because they are nervous, new drivers or old.

Be nice wink

EuroShagmore Mon 29-Oct-12 14:42:25

Slow drivers are annoying and yes, whoever asked, some roads (usually motorways) do have minimum speeds here (the signs are in the Highway Code if you want to check what they look like). Internal frustration is an acceptable reaction. Harrassing the slow coaches is not.

freddiefrog Mon 29-Oct-12 14:43:15

Assuming the road and weather conditions are safe to do 50mph, then no, I don't think YABU

CrystalQueen Mon 29-Oct-12 14:45:59

YANBU (assuming clear driving conditions). There's a stretch of straight road near us with a 50 mph sign every 100 m, yet people crawl along at 30. Or even worse, drive at 40mph, then keep at 40 mph when they enter the 30 zone. Aaaaaargh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now