Talk

Advanced search

To have put bleach in the dishwasher!!

(24 Posts)
lucyellenmum Mon 29-Oct-12 11:28:11

This was a mistake wasn't it, becaues now it resembles "the foam" horror movie - thankfully it wasn't all over the kitchen.

We hand't used it for a while, it had water in it that woudlnt' go, minging obviously and I had said to dp that we need to sort it or chuck it. Anyway, in the spirit of having a look he said "of course it could be tht the pipe is kinked" usually if it does this its the pump, so he pulled the thing out, stuck it on drain and et voila, it drained! But it STUNK to high heavan. So remembering a friend (who was a doctor not a gypsy) telling me to put bleach in it, i did just that. and foam foam foam.

DP says just stick the washing in, put a wash tab in and see what happens - more foam and chlorine gas into the kitchen is my first suggestion? what do you reckon?

TeaBrick Mon 29-Oct-12 11:30:38

I think I would run it on a hot cycle with no tablet or dishes and see how it is after that, or if it's really bad, scrape some of the foam out first.

AmberLeaf Mon 29-Oct-12 11:33:04

Deffo don't add anything else to it, run a hot cycle and see what happens?

squeakytoy Mon 29-Oct-12 11:44:15

washing machine or dishwasher????

I would just run it on an empty cycle.. with no detergent in of any kind first.

valiumredhead Mon 29-Oct-12 11:57:54

I would run it on lots of COLD washes.

MyLastDuchess Mon 29-Oct-12 12:00:54

Don't put a wash tab in! Just run it again with nothing added. You may have to do it a few times.

Next time (not very helpful right now I realise) use vinegar rather than bleach. Works a treat. When I had this problem - yucky dishwasher I mean, not bleach - i googled for tips on how to clean it and this was the most popular.

valiumredhead Mon 29-Oct-12 12:02:23

We use a dishwasher cleaner every month - 99p store or Aldi do them cheaply.

bragmatic Mon 29-Oct-12 12:09:50

Put your smalls in and kill two birds....

valiumredhead Mon 29-Oct-12 12:13:24

If it is a washing machine make sure the rubber seal is wiped dry or you will end up bleaching all your clothes!

Glitterknickaz Mon 29-Oct-12 12:48:29

Oh dear.... watch your seals, the bleach might perish them...

Imnotaslimjim Mon 29-Oct-12 12:59:09

If its still foaming, add table salt. Just throw a large handful directly into the dishwasher. It will kill the bubbles and let them be rinsed. Then put it on a rinse to get it clear

cumfy Mon 29-Oct-12 14:32:43

You want bleach on your plates ?confused

McHappyPants2012 Mon 29-Oct-12 14:36:14

Pour oil into the dishwasher, it kind of attacks soap suds

cumfy Mon 29-Oct-12 14:36:47

A hot cycle or 2 should kill all the bacteria that are causing the smell.
Long term; try and put the pipe in a position where it won't kink.

Mandy2003 Mon 29-Oct-12 18:05:23

Did you use thick bleach? From an unfortunate sliding on the slate floor episode at work I discovered that the thing that makes thick bleach thick is actually detergent - hence the bubbles!

It would be interesting to see if the same thing happens with thin bleach - I suspect it wouldn't.

JustSpidero Mon 29-Oct-12 18:15:52

Oh dear! I'd just run it on an empty wash or two.

I made the mistake of sticking ours on with a generous squirt of washing up liquid the other week as we'd run out of tablets and I couldn't be arsed to do it by hand - oops..!

AdoraBell Mon 29-Oct-12 18:22:15

I would do cold washes, lots of, no other detergent. I sometimes have to use a bleach spray to de-mold the washing machine and it takes about 12 short cycles to get rid of the smell. Hot water is likely to set the smell into to rubber of the pipe.

CaliforniaLeaving Mon 29-Oct-12 20:15:33

You could put some white vinegar in that will kill the suds.
I have put a bit of bleach through mine in the past, but it was plain chlorine bleach it didn't make any suds at all.

lucyellenmum Mon 29-Oct-12 20:47:18

yeah it was thick bleach, i just ran a couple of rinse cycles and it seems fine now.

It must have been a kinked pipe but gawd knows how atfer it sitting there for years, i must have moved it i guess.

Seemed to clean the dishes pretty well.

cumfy Bleach wont do any damage to the crockery though and after all is said and done - Milton sterilising fluid is just a mild bleach solution. So if its OK for babies bottles, its ok for my cups smile

oldraver Mon 29-Oct-12 22:13:54

Dishwashers always have a small reservoir if water that is emptied at the beginning of a cycle so if you havn't used it for a while it will stink. I usually use vinegar or soda cystals to clean it out

GhostofMammaTJ Mon 29-Oct-12 22:20:46

Hot cycle with white vineger would have been best.

KreechasKeepa Mon 29-Oct-12 22:25:32

Dishwasher repairman who came to fix mine the other day said to put one tablespoon of bleach in it and NOT to use vinegar to clean it, which is what I had used in the past.

He did a demo for me (as I obviously looked like I wasn't to be trusted to work it out for myself hmm) and put the bleach onto the door of the dishwasher then started it off on its hottest cycle.

Seems fine and smells clean.

QueenStromba Mon 29-Oct-12 22:29:52

Baking soda next time.

CaliforniaLeaving Tue 30-Oct-12 01:21:16

If you really want it to sparkle inside put some citric acid in the little door flap thing. I did it one time and the think looked like brand new and smelt lovely

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now