Talk

Advanced search

to be getting this worked up about scan?

(19 Posts)
emeraldgirl1 Mon 29-Oct-12 10:59:02

20 week scan today and I'm actually starting to shake with nerves. I don't know what has happened to me!!
I know it should be straightforward but I'm an absolute nervous wreck.
Am I absolutely inane or somewhere on a scale of normal?

I have an insanely overactive imagination and am properly envisaging a terrible silence while sonographer moves her probe around... sad

Can someone tell me to pull myself together please???

emeraldgirl1 Mon 29-Oct-12 10:59:27

Oh and that should have been inSane not inane - I already know I'm inane...

FlaminNoraImPregnantPanda Mon 29-Oct-12 11:01:30

I was the same going for my 12 week screening scan. My husband had to pretty much drag me in because I knew this was the end of my delusion about being pregnant. Then I saw the baby and cried.

BupcakesAndHaunting Mon 29-Oct-12 11:02:49

I think you're feeling what most expectant mums feel when they go for a scan. I remember worrying with all of mine (had scans towards end of pregnancy too as DS was VERY lazy and didn't move, causing a great dealof stress!)

I am sure it will all be fine. Come back and tell us when you've finished. smile

emeraldgirl1 Mon 29-Oct-12 11:03:31

FlaminNora oddly I was much calmer for the 12 week scan. I think by now my issue is that I've got much more attached - at 12 weeks I was still in shock and feeling as if I was being inhabited by an alien who kept making me nauseous... not saying I wasn't thrilled that scan was OK but I feel the stakes are higher this time. I've spent weeks focussing on the finding-out-gender thing and now it's happening I'm just feeling I haven't prepared myself mentally for the more important health part.

emeraldgirl1 Mon 29-Oct-12 11:04:40

Bupcakes thank you smile
I have been expecting anxiety but I don't know where the blooming shakes have come from...

Everlong Mon 29-Oct-12 11:06:55

I think it's normal.

Fingers and toes crossed that all will be fine. Fwiw I was very nervous before all mine.

Good luck. Are you finding out the sex?

emeraldgirl1 Mon 29-Oct-12 11:07:50

Everlong yep, planning to find out the sex...

Just had email from (not so D at the mo) H saying he is being unaviodably held up at work and may be slightly late!! Just what I need!

Lora1982 Mon 29-Oct-12 11:14:46

i was crapping myself at all mine.... my bf and mum were tellin me i was being daft. but when it came to it and the sonographer was giving the ok to each area they were the ones sighing with rwlief.... the cheekky sods were just as nervous as me.

EugenesAxe Mon 29-Oct-12 11:25:46

Well it's possible something will be wrong, but it doesn't happen to a very big percentage of the population so chances are you'll be fine.

I attempt to never worry about anything until I have to. I fail, obviously, but not generally when it comes to health. Chances are you'll see a lively baby who's fine, but if you don't then you'll have lots of support about what that will mean for you and your family.

Best wishes smile

oscarwilde Mon 29-Oct-12 11:53:42

There's lots of measuring - often the same bits over and over again so don't stress if the sonographer is not that chatty, spends AGES on various bits, and asks you to turn on your side/wiggle your pelvis to get the baby to shift. All completely normal grin

Everlong Mon 29-Oct-12 12:02:52

Oh exciting. Do you have a preference?

Can you take your mum/friend with you if dh is going to be late?

Jsa1980 Mon 29-Oct-12 12:35:27

I'm exactly the same, I've got two weeks to go until mine.

Good luck, fingers crossed for you

honeytea Mon 29-Oct-12 12:42:47

You poor thing it is nerve wracking.

Good luck, don't panic if they can't see things properly, they couldn't properly look at my baby's heart so I had to go back for a rescan, all was fine in the end smile

JollyGolightly Mon 29-Oct-12 12:46:26

I'd say you're completely normal, but that's because I'm always a wreck before scans, and would like to think I am normal too. Good luck! X

Geekster Mon 29-Oct-12 12:52:02

I was just the same, I remember talking gibberish while I was having the scan because I was so nervous. The twenty week one does take longer than the twelve week one so don't panic if the sonographer keeps moving the probe and not saying much. That's normal and enjoy seeing your baby.

loopylou6 Mon 29-Oct-12 15:25:05

Aww it'll be fine. Any news yet?

emeraldgirl1 Tue 30-Oct-12 08:23:16

Thanks to all who posted - the scan was all fine and we found out it's a girl... have posted long and mad rambling post about the gender thing on the Pregnancy forum... It's an issue for me for various lifelong reasons (mental mother) but I am determined to get over it. Relieved the scan was ok though I do have a low placenta at the mo and have to go back for a re scan later on.

Rockchick1984 Tue 30-Oct-12 12:07:09

Congratulations smile thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now