Talk

Advanced search

to duct tape my children to their beds

(19 Posts)
freddiefrog Sun 28-Oct-12 21:31:59

They are getting on my last nerve.

We've had a busy weekend and today has mainly been spent squabbling, fighting and whining so I put them to bed before I throttled them early with DVDs (it's half term)

They've been up and down stairs like a bloody yo-yo.

They know that unless their leg has fallen off or something equally serious they're not allowed to get out of bed.

angry

BabylonPI Sun 28-Oct-12 21:34:10

YANBU!!

There's an old family story about how my dad stuck his nephew to a chair with parcel tape when he was babysitting him. He wouldn't behave or do as he was told so my dad taped him to a chair with parcel tape til his mum got home grin

YANBU. Pass the tape when you're done grin

freddiefrog Sun 28-Oct-12 21:44:12

<passes tape>

Honestly, I love them dearly (and I am obviously joking about the tape hmm ) but today has just been one of those days and I've truly had enough and wish they'd bugger off and leave me alone for a while. Just as my arse hits the sofa they want something else.

Go to bloody bed!!!

freddiefrog Sun 28-Oct-12 21:45:45

LOL! @ BabylonPI

My grandad used to tie my grandmother to her chair with her apron strings. He'd sneak up behind her, untie them and re-tie them round the back of the chair. He got her every time

Thanks. Luckily DS is still young enough to be in a cot so I don't actually need the tape. I've already been upstairs three times this evening to resettle him though. Maybe I should tape myself to the sofa?

Hahahah about your grandad grin

GhostofMammaTJ Sun 28-Oct-12 21:54:50

Babylon I would like you to PM me your Dads number so I can get him to babysit my DC. grin

financialwizard Sun 28-Oct-12 21:56:36

I have plenty of tape here I can lend you. My 'd's has had 2 weeks off for half term not sure what idiot thought that one up thankfully he goes back to school tomorrow. He has been up and down the stairs, in and out the house like that for the whole holiday. Driven me bonkers.

As my friend (Dad to two gorgeous children) always says

"Silence is golden, but duck tape is silver."

grin

lemontruffles Sun 28-Oct-12 22:01:38

An ex SIL used to harness her small dcs to their bedframes (toddler harnesses) (this is true) - less sticky alternative?

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 28-Oct-12 22:31:23

YANBU everybody needs a bit of peace and quiet sometimes.

OldMumsy Sun 28-Oct-12 22:52:46

You need one of those professional taping thingies and no-one would ever fing you guilty in a court of law ;-)

ChaosTrulyReigns Sun 28-Oct-12 23:14:10

Have to hope they're that difficult to get to bed when they're 18.

wink

freddiefrog Sun 28-Oct-12 23:45:10

"Silence is golden, but duck tape is silver."

grin I'll have to remember that one.

I'm not sure about the harnesses, I think they might be a bit big at 7 and 11, worth a try though [flowers]

The little sods are finally asleep, I've just got to try and remember exactly what I threatened to ban them from, how long I grounded them both for and any other punishments I hurled at them

ScarePhyllis Sun 28-Oct-12 23:49:01

You need a bungee harness so just as they get to the bottom of the stairs they are catapulted back into bed.

AlreadyScone Sun 28-Oct-12 23:52:41

I used to work for a leading children's charity. At the time I was going through the "pinging out of bed" thing with my eldest, and it was killing me.

One of my senior colleagues said that, 30 years ago, she used to strap her young son to the mattress with a long belt...

now I'm not advocating that at all, but I was reassured that this calm, smart professional had reached the point where her judgement was skewed.

Hang in there...

BabylonPI Tue 30-Oct-12 14:12:30

I need to install a bungee harness at our place!!!

I thought my dad was joking, but he really wasn't blush Apparently it was the only way to make my cousin sit still and behave!!!! grin

EternalHope Tue 30-Oct-12 14:17:43

I knew a woman once who genuinely tied her children to the beds at night (they each had all in one sleeping bags and she sewed hooks on either side which she then fastened to the sides of the bed (from about aged 1 to aged 6). The DH was a senior teacher!! I was very shock but she thought it was just sensible as she didn't want to be bothered by them in the night........ the 5yo had to wear nappies as she couldn't last all night without the loo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now