Talk

Advanced search

to feel slightly disgruntled?

(44 Posts)
BillysBeastlyBogeyman Sun 28-Oct-12 20:29:05

I think I am tbh.

My friend has started making cupcakes.

She has been really working on her business, she had got some wedding orders etc. Good for her I thought.

So I wanted to support her and wanted to try the lovely cupcakes, even though I'm not a particular fan. But cake is cake grin

So I ordered a box off her, £6 for 4. Bit pricey but I would be getting some nice cake, dc will love them.

So hand over my cash, beautiful box with fancy cakes in. Got them home and they are the tiniest sponge cakes ever with a shitload of icing on. They are microscopic! Literally the smallest little holder ever only half full of rather dense spongeshock

Six bleeding quid they cost me. Six quid That could have bought me multiple packets of Revels <grumpy>

OpheliaPayneAgain Sun 28-Oct-12 20:30:15

You paid for the box they came in

BillysBeastlyBogeyman Sun 28-Oct-12 20:30:53

It was a lovely box. That I concede.

Hesterton Sun 28-Oct-12 20:31:13

Mark it down to experience, unless she asks you what you thought of them. Then tell her they weren't good value for money in your opinion.

Otherwise don't buy them again or recommend them.

vampirestakeknickers Sun 28-Oct-12 20:31:43

The market will sort her out. Half the planet seems to be setting up in home baking mini-businesses right now, and word-of-mouth is her best advertisement. Which she's not going to be getting from you is she?

alpinefresh Sun 28-Oct-12 20:31:52

just think of it as supporting your friend. surely you would have spent £6 even if she was selling pebbles and stuff?

I think most cupcakes are con tbh., you just seem to pay for loads of buttercream. I love cake but give me a wedge of carrot cake or lemon drizzle any day.

Yanbu - but you are being nice to support your friend smile

Raspberrysorbet Sun 28-Oct-12 20:33:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BillysBeastlyBogeyman Sun 28-Oct-12 20:34:48

Yes I would absolutely have spent the £6 on supporting her. It's just although they looked pretty, the sponge was so small. Am I labouring the point a little? grin

Shakey1500 Sun 28-Oct-12 20:35:24

I really don't get this nationwide obsession with cup cakes at the moment. Is it just me?? Whatever happen to good old fairy cakes with some crap buttercreamy wings atop?

I mean, I get cake obviously, just not paying £ridiculous for it.

Glad at least the box was nice smile

BillysBeastlyBogeyman Sun 28-Oct-12 20:37:23

Ooooo butterfly cakes! Now that I could get on board with.

BillysBeastlyBogeyman Sun 28-Oct-12 20:38:04

I had a dairy/gluten free cake today as well and that was delicious.

I eat too much cake don't I.

Raspberrysorbet Sun 28-Oct-12 20:39:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pictish Sun 28-Oct-12 20:40:31

Yanbu - and you should tell her. Nicely.

BillysBeastlyBogeyman Sun 28-Oct-12 20:44:09

Yes Raspberry well deduced wink

Have just measured with a 50p (much to DH's confusion) and I would say if you rounded off a 50p with possibly an extra 5mm border you would get the circumference. And the cakeholder was only half full.

Too much cake? Sorry I don't understand confused

out2lunch Sun 28-Oct-12 20:46:14

sigh - has anyone got any friends that aren't doing cupcakes at the moment?

cupcakes must be the new hand crafted greetings cards

BillysBeastlyBogeyman Sun 28-Oct-12 20:53:04

You are right EnglishGirl, I was just having a moment.

She is doing a wedding soon so I assume they had a tasting. So maybe it was a bad batch <hopeful>

If she asks I think I will suggest maybe more of the "lovely" sponge would balance the richness of the topping.

HoneyDragon Sun 28-Oct-12 20:53:18

I bought one of those cup cake maker thingies when I was having functional oven trouble. I thus reasoned I could at least knock up some buns for the dcs and I until errant oven part was tracked down from overseas and put in oven.

It was quite good, made small cakes, quite dense but done in 7 minutes so fairynuff.

An acquaintance via Fb is raving about hers and now thinks she can go into business selling cup cakes at table top fairs. hmm

It makes 8 tiny ok cakes at a time.
It's not a patch on proper cake on a oven.
I was not tactful toward her idea blush

It is a craze gone TOO DAMN far.

Shodan Sun 28-Oct-12 20:56:29

You are a Good Friend.

Nobody should have to eat cup cakes at all, let alone ones that are practically all icing.

A nice Fairy Cake with minimal water icing, now that's a different matter.

BillysBeastlyBogeyman Sun 28-Oct-12 20:57:27

That sounds about right Honeydragon. Oh dear. The wedding cakes may not end well.

apostropheuse Sun 28-Oct-12 20:58:41

£6 for four cakes? Good grief.

ikigai Sun 28-Oct-12 21:02:10

I'm disgruntled on your behalf, yanbu. Can't be doing with cupcakes, the cake:icing ratio is all out.

BadgersBottom Sun 28-Oct-12 21:06:29

I make divine lemon drizzle cupcakes suitable for gluten intolerants (white spelt flour, expensive!), beautifully drizzled and decorated with lemon jelly slices in a cupcake box for £9 for 12 cakes. I am not short of orders - if it's a quality product people always come back for me and if you don't price too ambitiously to start with that also serves you well in the future.

HoneyDragon Sun 28-Oct-12 21:06:53

My Favourite is a naice light sponge with a little custard powder in and some normal icing.

If I'm feeling decadent I may add a drop of lime.

Bollocks. I'll be up baking cakes before I've done breakfast now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now